Universal Super Mario Run (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 14, 2016.

1. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Happens at the same point on my iPad Air as well, after the Nintendo logo and right before downloading.

My guess is that it's because I'm super low on space.

2. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    I have found that ipad air 1's seem to be struggling a bit with the latest OS. Lots of annoying bugs that don't seem to hit people so much on later devices. My Home button even stopped working a few days ago! (Luckily they have a sort of backup onscreen grey thing in settings, which is annoying as it's always...there). If I were a conspiracy theorist...but I'm not.

3. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    By the way, Roger your relentless sweetness and optimism is totes refreshing. Don't change!

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    And i have 4.6 gb of free space, so we can take that off the list of suspects. :D

5. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The crashes happened when the ipad air was still in iOS9.3.2. I just updated the OS (i could now coz MHFU is fixed. LOL) to 10.2 yesterday thinking that would fix the Mario Run problem, but didnt.

6. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    lol no you're not

It's crazy I can buy 50,000 packages of ramen for the same price I can get a 6oz filet mignon.

We don't want only positive feedback. We want people to stop accusing developers of being lazy or greedy or belittling them for their choice of pay model or shaming them over and over and over because they made a choice about their game that someone doesn't agree with.

That's just not true though. We meet with dozens of developers at every conference we go to every year and more and more of them tell us they don't interact on the forums anymore because of the over the top toxicity of some of the people here. Most recently the developer of Jet Car Stunts, a beloved classic on TA, and True Skate a major mainstream success has said exactly that.

The decrease in traditional advertising spend is a completely separate issue than that of the problems with the community.

This is also not true. There are MORE premium games now, and of higher quality, than there were in the magical "back in the day" that everyone likes to reference. People act like all games released back then were these amazing premium experiences. In reality, whenever a premium game was released "back in the day" it would usually languish until the dev was forced to hit the panic button and drop it to 99¢, at which point everyone jumped in and bought it and talked about how amazing it was we could get such great games for so cheap. Those games would never make their money back due to that, the developer would chalk it up as a loss and move on, and the cycle would repeat. Free to play has fixed that problem because now everyone can try the game and spend money on it only if they choose to. Yes, some are overly manipulative and gross, but the VAST majority are perfectly fair and even offer the ability to play through the entire experience without ever spending a single cent. Why wouldn't a developer opt for that route when the market has already rejected the paid model over and over again?

Premium games can exist and even do well on the App Store, but they have to do it right. Small teams, small budgets, and catering to an extremely small niche is pretty much the only way it can work. And a lot of devs still do this.

Only to a certain extent. Criticism (even harsh criticism) is fair game and I agree that most creators WANT to hear that sort of stuff. But there is a very big difference between criticism and the bullying of developers which occurs far too frequently on these forums.

7. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I think this thread has been derailed... That said, this makes perfect sense to me. I have bought a shedload of premium games this year, far more than I've downloaded F2P stuff, and don't feel like I've missed out because things used to be so much better. The standard is consistently high, and probably improving. Yet the F2P stuff I have invested time (and even money) in has never felt inferior: Sky Force Reloaded, Bullet Hell Monday, Super Cat Tales...

As for the TA forum, every online cave has trolls in the shadows, but there are plenty of pools of light too.

Oh, and Super Mario Run? Good game, in the upper tier of auto runners, and I love the pricing model. It's not like Nintendo has forced everyone to pay 10 bucks, but it's a clear indication that the general public (not TA visitors) should start to view games on mobile and tablet as premium products.

8. lukey89

lukey89 Active Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Im sure if they had internet back in those days, patches would be just as prevalent as they are now. Back then, once a game was released, their was no way to fix any bug or glitches so games had to be right when shipped out the door. Fast forward to today, the internet has made it so any fixes/patches can be made and distributed on the fly.

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I tried the demo and it seems decently fun, but I'm not sure it's worth $10. Also it sucks that its an IAP since no family sharing an IAP. Oh well. Maybe Starbucks will give the unlock away at some point. :)

10. ReluctantFr0g

ReluctantFr0g Member

May 21, 2013
    Yeah cause poor people suck amirite? Smh

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It's a non-consumable IAP, so using the same apple ID to download this in multiple devices should allow you to unlock the game for free after you bought on the first.

12. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Who are these mythical poor people who can't afford $10 for a game but still carry around Apple devices for gaming?

13. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Anyone know what happens when you run out of toad rally tickets? I dont see it happening any time soon, but Im sure some of you have ground out your whole collection by now.

I read back a few pages but it gave me a headache. Sorry if this has been asked before.

14. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    You can get more tickets by playing through the lworkds and completing the pink, purple and black coin missions, also you can trade coins collected through normal playing the game for rally tickets in the my Nintendo rewards section. The question mark block you get in the kingdom also gives them out sometimes.

If players are trying to collect the special coins as you would on a console version then I can't see anyone running out of tickets but if they did, they'd have amassed tons of coins that they can redeem more tickets anyway.

The grinding for tickets points made on here and other places online had me baffled as I've gotten a generous amount of tickets through casual play until someone mentioned in the review comments that players will run out of tickets if they have not unlocked the full game, as they wont get the ones rewarded for advancing.

15. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Sign into the iTunes account that made the purchase on other devices and you can unlock the full game at no extra cost on more than one device in the same way you can with other non consumable IAPs.

16. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    There's been times when I've struggled money wise and not been able to buy treats and luxuries for myself, gaming falls under a luxury for me and there's been many a time I haven't been able to afford the ones I wanted, it sucks having money issues and I feel bad for players who can't afford this game, as like I say, I've been there myself.

When I can't afford a game I want, I have to accept it and buy at a later date if I'm still wanting it when I do have the funds, it's crap but that's life, getting pissed off at people who set the price and at those who can afford and are enjoying the game and moaning on the internet about it wouldn't do anything but make me sound like a jealous entitled brat.

I don't judge and mock the poor, but nor do I judge and mock those who price items I'd like or those can afford and enjoy things I can't have. (Not aiming at anyone in particular, just general thing)

There's been some great valid criticism, Sean's review shows you can mention negatives while being respectful and without calling game developers and the people who are enjoying a game childish names.

17. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012

Mmm tried that for my wife.
    But no, you have to be logged in your Nintendo account. And when trying to enter my Login/pass it says that this account has already been synched with the game.

Maybe I'm wrong but it does not seems possible#

Really great game by the way. Nothing incridible but still very enjoyable!

18. darkelite

darkelite Active Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Keeps crashing on startup on a non-jailbroken iPhone 6. The phone was indeed jailbroken in the past and has been factory reset since. I suspect traces of the jailbreak to be the culprit. However I've seen topics stating that Nintendo makes the game crash on purposes on jailbroken and ex-jailbroken devices... wow...

Worst of all, jailbreakers have a work-around for the crash issue, but legit devices are stuck with the crash and can't play, neither purchase the game.

This is frustrating... the game looks good enough to give it a chance. Bravo Nintendo, you'll just lose my money. ;)

19. €¥€

€¥€ Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Lol, did you just compare this game to a filet mignon? It's more like a mcdonalds hamburger, they look great on tv commercials, but are just an absolute disappointment to eat.
    I guess this is one of those games, you either love it or hate it.
    I hope nintendo makes money on it, I just hope it doesn't set a presidence to release more games like this and not an actual mario platformer.
    I'd pay whatever they wanted for a smb 3 port.

20. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Lol, well I wasn't exactly saying that. But I hate the "I could buy [Game A] game that has [X] amount of hours of gameplay for the same price as [Game B] game that has [less than X] amount of hours of gameplay" argument. It's that sentiment that has driven game developers to artificially inflate gameplay times for decades now. I don't want a bunch of fetch quests and backtracking thrown into a game just so you can say it takes 100 hours to beat, I'd rather play 10 hours of nonstop greatness than have any of the filler. Especially the GTA and other sandbox games, which are essentially never-ending toys if you ignore the story stuff. I have very likely spent thousands of hours in GTA games over the last 15 years, so by that rationale I should just never buy any other video games that can't match up to that.