Universal Super Mario Run (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    That was totally uncalled for and might contribute more than he thinks to the "toxicity" he so much (rightly) complains about here on TA.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I thought you were explaining the methodology behind the mindset of why Nintendo stock goes down, as you were totally spot on as to how it works. :confused:

3. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I've interpreted it wrong. Sorry, Eli.

It is an internet issue.

4. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    #284 sinagog, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Ha, me too. Now I finally know why emoticons exist- to stop misunderstandings like that happening. :D

Sorry!

And now back to your regular service. (Requires internet connection).

5. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I started with the NES in 1987 and have purchased everything they have released in the States. Picking this up for $10 was a no brainer for me as I am excited to see A Nintendo game on my iPhone.

I am really impressed with this release, it is different than the other Mario games I have. I love the ease of play but the challenge that comes from repeated runs trying to collect different coins.

TouchArcade is such a great site but some of the comments lately, wow.

6. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Come on people let's a go to your happy place and stay there for a while.

25 years ago I wished Sonic was more like Mario and now Mario is more like sonic, again the upside down.

7. Sabaki

Sabaki Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2012
    I think there's 2 camps on the whole F2P/premium debate, those who accept and those who feel they need to voice their opinion on the subject.

My 1st two consoles I owned were the NES and Genesis and the game's came on cartridges.
    Those games in general were so rigorously and efficiently beta tested that when we bought the cartridge, there were few to no major bugs and the gameplay was perfectly balanced.

When things like timers, numerous in game currencies, IAP-exclusive items/characters (expansion packs I understand) or similar mechanisms dictate the gameplay of what could be a brilliant title, I will express my opinion on that.
    Arcade games that must be connected to the internet...what!? There's a few well stated arguments that I agree with.
    • Paying clients feel the brunt of piracy. The pirates play unaffected.
    • Acquiring metrics from those connected to measure content, IAP potential etc may sound like good business but it's a huge step over an ethical line.
    • The day the server gets turned off... never mind my $xxx.xx I spent on your title

Meanwhile you have developers like Infinite Dreams putting out superb F2P models for amazing games that paying players have no problem supporting.

I do agree that the angry debates will not solve
    anything but as consumers, we have a duty to shape how the market will form. Keeping quiet and being overly polite in forums will not effect the change we want.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Anyone?

9. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa

Those were my second and third consoles, respectively. But I think you and I must have been buying different games back then.

10. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I am gonna test.

11. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    I played on Air 1/10.2. Worked fine for me. Sorry, man. You sure it's not a local server problem?

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

That ship has sailed. We made our bed when we refused to pay more then 99¢ for a mobile game, and then just decided to wait for everything to be free. No amount of voicing your opinion on the free to play model is going to put that genie in the bottle, which is really why the whole thing is so silly. Developers (with exceedingly rare exception like Minecraft) can't make money on paid games. Even small indie studios can sustain themselves on free to play games. Consumers are wholly responsible for shaping this market, you're correct, and the consumer market has spoken loud and clear that what they want is free to play.

Endlessly arguing about it isn't accomplishing anything short of wearing out your keyboard. Supporting developers who break outside of these trends is a far better use of your time and money.

13. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Works fine. Same model and OS.

14. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Crashes on my iPad Air as well.

Plays beautifully on my iPhone 7.

15. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Eli is 100% correct in his statement
    Premium is barely hanging on at this point now having said that there are occasional premiums that do well
    But I can't bet anything that the 9.99 is turning people off because as Eli said no one wants to even pay 99 cents for a game anymore

I do think overall Pokémon Go is a better game and that's why it blew up but you also didn't have to pay 9.99 to play everything on Pokémon Go and that's sad that 10$ seems to be too much for a quality MARIO game its terrible for the market and for us who like the premium games but it's not showing signs of slowing down in fact the beast is going to get bigger until it swallows as many whales as possible

I was shocked when no one I knew seemed to care about this game being out and some of the same people went nuts over Pokémon Go

16. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    That's exactly the issue then! I didn't want to leave world 1 until I got all the black coins.
    Thanks!

17. retrogamOR

retrogamOR Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Plays fine on my AIR.IOS 9.3 though.

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I dont think so. My wife's iphone 5 (iOS10.2) and my son's ipad mini1 (iOS8.x) work fine. Just my ipad air that doesnt run it. Crashes to springboard after the nintendo logo where it's supposed to start downloading assets.

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Thanks to everyone who replied! Been great help. Seems my problem could be isolated. i may try resetting the device, but scared to lose my save files on everything.

20. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just wanted to listen to some music so I put on my Ipod Touch and whoops the notification for Super Mario Run was on the unlock screen wow thanks Apple it's always nice when somebody thinks of you ha ha, I am allready in world two but thanks anyway.