Universal Super Mario Run (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 14, 2016.

1. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Toad Colors

Is there a trick to getting toad colors other than red in rallies?
    I've been playing since launch but no matter which opponents I select (I check everyone offered), 100% of them give red reward.

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Are you using the same Nintendo ID on both devices? If not, that will be why, you'll have to redeem it in the second device.

3. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I was just coming to post this.
    I'd love a retry button.

4. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Whenever you complete a world, you unlock new courses in the rally which have different coloured toads. If you've not unlocked the full game or if you're not past world one, that's prob why you are only getting red ones. I think.

5. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    #245 curtisrshideler, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    If they push out an update that allows for offline play, that would be awesome for a lot of us! I would be happier and feel better about the $10 I spent. I've already let them know in my review and will probably put in a support request mentioning it. I encourage those of us who feel the same to be the change. Hopefully, we can encourage Nintendo to bring us that update. And that's where I would leave it.

Your post, though, sounds like the very negativity you're talking about.

Other than the online thing, this game makes me happy. It's bright, colorful, sounds nice, and the tap controls work for me. So, please don't tell me how I'd feel if... I'd be grateful to play this everywhere instead of stuck to a single spot like a console.

6. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Thank you! I was wondering the same last night. I just worked on 1-1 to get all the coins and then switched to Toad Ralley but only got red. Now it makes sense!

7. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Where is the "restore purchase" option?

8. petcar

petcar Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Norway
    Isn't everybody basically always online these days? I don't get it, most planes have wifi now? Meh, it's always something.

9. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Too fast for me

This game is too fast for me. No, I don't mean it in a way that I cannot play it, more in a way, that I'm rushing through the levels. There is not a single moment in the game where you can stand still, enjoy the theme, place Mario three pixels more to the left to make the jump fit perfectly. That's of course because it's a runner and since Mario runs, everything moves and you are panicly trying to react to whatever the game throws intos Marios' way.

I wish it would be slower, so I could enjoy it more.

I wish it would be harder. I hate the bubble. I want to start at the beginning when I died.

I wish I could only jump on the enemies and not just run through them.

Overall: Nice game. But it feels like it could have been better. Harder. More intense. More Mario. This is a Mario in snack size. Mini Mario.

10. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Heck of a game.

11. jayplay

jayplay Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 21, 2015
    Entrepreneur
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I love it. Usually I'm not a massive fan of auto-runners, but this one is -- along with Chameleon Run -- my favourite this year. :)

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Anyone playing on ipad air (the first one) on iOS10.2?

Still just crashes on mine after the nintendo logo.

13. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    I remember the days when games like Solomons Keep came out and we were giving immediate feedback to the dev about bugs, with quick turnaround on updates as a result. Pretty awesome to see at the time. Now we have people harassing the Fishlabs guy. It sucks to see and makes me sad that devs have been turned off over the years due to this junk.

Unfortunately it does seem like a widespread problem all across the internet. I saw a bunch of nasty tweets st Nintendo yesterday over them having the nerve to actually charge for this game. I can't even begin to imagine the abuse devs take on social media on a regular basis.

I do appreciate you and other TA staff fighting the good fight about this stuff. I know you guys take a lot of crap for it but there are definitely some of us here who completely agree.

14. slammajamma28

slammajamma28 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    I mentioned to my wife that there was a Mario game out for iPhone. She doesn't play games much, if ever. She had a long run with Candy Crush. Then she got into some Bubble Shooter game. And then Mahjong. But she downloaded this game instantly and we played together for a couple of hours. It's a fun little game. I haven't purchased it yet, but it does seem a bit shallow for $10. 24 different levels and you have to play through each one three times, a H2H type mode and a build mode. Even my wife thought that $10 was a bit high of a price point. I think I'll sit on this one a bit. I enjoyed Rayman Run, but this just feels like a watered down version of it.

Maybe the first 3 levels are simple just to get you hooked. I'll look further into what the later levels are like. Or if there are plans for future content, maybe more levels or different modes. If there are, I'd hope the $10 covers all future content.

I am currently on the black coins of 1-3 and am struggling to get all the coins. If this is what I can expect for later levels, I'll definitely consider the purchase. I enjoy a challenge.

15. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #255 Intendro, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    It's their problem they have the device with no cellular data, and Nintendo isn't letting them play? Really now?

Somehow it's our fault because we want to be able to play at any place?

"You can play the game you bought some of the time" is an illogical argument.
    Just stop defending it, it is pointless.

16. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    It doesn't say "restore purchase" you have to go to the purchase screen again and follow the same steps as the initial purchase, you will get an AppStore message saying "do you ant to buy for £7.99". After pressing yes, you'll get a mother message saying you've already bought the item and would you like to download again for free.

17. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Agree!
    I forgot this important and very useful hint in my last post. I'll send over an email to Nintendo what i don't do very often, but this gem's got its hooks on me.

I have finally (at least) the first two levels black-coined. The challenge to do so rises on every next level.

18. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I'm enjoying the game but pretty much fall in line with Shaun's review. The level design is good and reply value off the charts but just feel there are better auto-runners on iOS.

As far as the negative posting, I agree that "shitposting" about the game with little reasoning behind the hate other than "this sucks" is certainly not cool. But there does need to be some barrier where negative points that are logically thought out can be aired without threat of being banned.

Even when it comes to discussing games with devs, they likely want to hear what things people don't like about a game to improve it down the road.

So what I'm saying is only positive feedback would also kill these forums. Just things like one line posts to crap on a game or rants that have nothing to do with the overall game need to be moderated IMO.

It's a tough balance.

19. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Ok just making sure, it's my sons iPad but it's the same Apple ID

20. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Got all coins on the first level woohoo ha ha, this gonna take a long while to fully complete, and I got 50 friends allready all from TA, and who is the best of those right Matt 33 who else, maybe Andy C83 but I did not see his code anywhere yet.