Universal Super Mario Run (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 14, 2016.

1. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    The bottom line for me is that I fully support premium games but just don't understand at all why this needs to be "online" only. It shocks me as I understand those who say "stop complaining and play one of the other millions of games" but that misses the point on why does this game have to be online only?

Those commuting on trains that have limited LTE or wifi or like myself traveling on business on planes are just out of luck which is bad for Nintendo!

2. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #222 L.Lawliet, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    I guess we should all just stop giving feedback to game companies and sum up every gamer complaint as "that's your problem." :rolleyes:

Agreed. Pretty much someone has a legit complaint about online-only single player "premium" game then a mass of people counters back with a "stop whining."

3. brianj22

brianj22 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2016
    So bad for Nintendo. Lol.

4. Buss1985

Buss1985 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2013
    As you say it's a "mobile" gaming community. People game on the move. This game is basically the ideal type of game for commuting...if you don't live somewhere like London (which I do) where millions of people a day take the underground. There is wifi in the stations but you don't stop long enough to connect, then download a level. I guessing this will be the same in many other cities with underground systems.

I understand the need to be online for certain games (Pokémon Go) or modes (Toad Rally) but there is really no need to block the Tour mode with always online rubbish.

5. brianj22

Dec 14, 2016
    I'm just going to go enjoy SMR while people who choose to only game on non cellular devices underground complain about it. #

6. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I'm not Mario fan but pretty good first Impresssions. They got the feel right, it's very distinctly Nintendo/Mario, and the auto running has been made to have some decent creativity. As I'm playing I'm thinking, I bet they did this to trump segas auto run. And they did. :D

7. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Y'know, I think it was quite brave putting up Shaun's 3.5 star review. It must have totally perplexed the cats who thought the 5 stars doled out to Candy Crush 2 and Clash Royale were on account of their omnipresence (generating more coverage for T.A.). It sounds like some of the other reviewers dug it more. It must be frustrating not being able to have multiple takes on a game like this. Once you choose the reviewer, you're stuck with their opinion. I can't remember the website, but there was one whose reviews took the form of a sort of informal conversation between the various site staff. Might be more satisfying for those in the love it camp to see their side repped, too. Not gonna pretend I played more than the demo (I don't even like the ios Rayman games that much- unless you mean the short-lived port of Rayman 2), but from what I took in I feel I'm on the same page as Shaun (like usual. What a dreamy hunk of man-meat he is). Now to go play that other seminal export from the crazy islands of Nippon, My Horse Prince. (By the way, some reviews seem to show up in the side-bar on the right and some don't. Might want to look into that).

8. Bumpygames

Bumpygames Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2016
    croatia

Good First Super Mario Game
    I love it....

9. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Back in 2009 or so, many devs made more complete full games, which led to more satisfied customers. Nowadays, many devs are making endless/incomplete games that are half-assed (and shiny/pretty) with the sole purpose of making a fortune off people's misery and greed. Now I don't know about you, but I prefer complete games, as there's A LOT less to complain about. In the case of SUPER MARIO RUN, had there been no online-only DRM, there wouldn't be nearly half as many complaints; notice how shit hit the fan when they announced it.

10. Bookworm21

Bookworm21 Active Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Didn't know there were graphics options :facepalm:

Looks like I may be getting this one, folks

11. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    apart from the online only part, I think this is an absolute peach of a game. Myself and both by boys have been loving it and all for different reasons. I'm a completionist, youngest just wants to get to the end, and eldest wants to compete in rallies.
    Monies well spent, all.

12. Nemer

Nemer Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    College/Part job
    Far far away
    Its just Mario game in the name. You better of running emulators for real games or just downloading better runners. It feels too simple and 10 dollars is an outrage. Its pretty clear Nintendo has ways to go before they can compete in mobile race

13. TontikBunny

TontikBunny Active Member

Nov 14, 2016
    But it is really overhyped. I mean in pokemon go, you were playing with a different style. Also you were feeling that memories. But in mario, nothing special. Mario runs auto and you are tapping to jump. What a special game for $10 lul

14. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    #234 fabianb, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Where is thr 5th purple coin in level 1-1?? I just can't find it, lol!

Edit: All those comments.. I'm not even a real mario fan (never really played them) and this is a really solid game. Okay the online requirement sucks, that's for sure. Let's hope for an update for that. But each level has multiple special coin layouts, so basically it's a new path you have to figure out how to run best. I've been playing level 1-1 for 15 minutes now and I'm still at the second (purple) coin layout. So yes, the content is here, you just have to find it. And the game is polished like a true princess.

15. shaun1998

shaun1998 New Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Can you guys add me ? Id:1591-9209-4998

16. brianj22

Dec 14, 2016
    Watch though. This is the no ad removal for Flappy Golf 2 conversation all over again. People like to complain about what they don't have rather than what they do have. Once Nintendo pushes out the update requiring no internet connection for Tour mode it will be I don't care about the game anymore, or insert new complaint here. We live in a world where people starve to death, and are mad because we can't play the new Mario game on our iPhones while travelling on an airplane. Is there one person willing to take a step back with me to appreciate this game for what it is? And just appreciate our lives in general? Yes, it is not great that the game is essentially bricked without internet connection, but the game just came out and I think Nintendo knows how to, and will adapt to the situation. I understand critiquing the game for what it is but again like I said if you don't like it, don't play it. The game should be reviewed based on its content.

Call of Duty Infinite Warfare: 3/10 stars. Would be 10 if it didn't require internet and a television. I guess I just have my own thought process, but I'm almost certain 90% of the people on here complaining are double tapping the home button on their iPhones to dive back into SMR as soon as they're finished commenting.

17. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    We have more disagreements among the staff than you would think! We've got quite a variety of gamers on staff, after all. But we respect each other's opinions and try to back our own up as reasonably as we can, and it all turns out okay for the most part. Two other staffers share my view on this game. The others like it better. But I was assigned to the review ahead of time, so we respect that process.

The Game of the Year stuff, though. We almost had a Civil War about that last year, I tell ya! ;)

18. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    If your not into playing the levels over and over to get all those special coins, yep, the game ends very quickly. That would make this game very expensive for non-earners, cheapskaters, f2p lovers/i hate to pay for anything and price-content comparing people. You might hold off until (hopefully) more levels get added, but i am (again, hopefully) sure they will ;)

But if your into that, boy oh boy, a lot of fun could be ahead of you. The lovely graphics, the different level layouts, the top music and the very good controls (imho, and after you mastered them of course) already gave me a good three hours of gameplay, and i'm not even in the middle of this pearl. Oh, and i don't even have all of the last set of coins, the black ones. Honestly, i doubt that my skills and memory are up to this task. It's so challenging and complex with all the little nuances the levels, the enemies and the controls offer. Replay ability is clearly given for me.

What i don't like is taken from PG's review (remember folks - different person, different rating/opinion):

"It's a good mode (Toad Ralley), but a silly decision to let players earn more coins if they are a higher level kinda defeats the point of the competition..."

^^^ Absolutely agree with this opinion!
    So please, Nintendo, think about a fair adjustment in this mode.

Just saying, i have about ninty minutes experience back from the 80's with Mario, so i'm not biased at all. I simply love this game and therefor i never regret any premium price i had to pay. Rated with 5 stars.

PS: the game runs smooth and this far i never had a crash or disconnection while on wifi or 4G. Playing on a 7 with 10.2 version.

19. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    needs a re-try button though instead of pause and then re-try. Still a great game, mind.

20. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Thankfully, I don't. Other people do, and that's not them trying to be a pain. It's a customer wanting a product that the business decided it won't provide in those instances. We should be vocal about it in hopes we'll get a change and not just accept that's how it is. Yeah, there are plenty of offline games to play. We know that. And I'm sure those people really know. But if they want to give Nintendo money and support them for this product, I wish Nintendo would support those people's gameplay situations.