Universal Super Mario Run (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 14, 2016.

1. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Nintendo won't see and won't care, but I'm underground right now with no wifi and all I want to do is play the game on my Touch.

And I can't.

The perfect way to wait for the train and I need a nonexistent wifi connection.

And it's disappointing, because the game is great.

Absolutely.

I love that there are three different sets of coins to collect.

The graphics are crisp.

Sound design is stellar.

Everything shines, with the exception of the internet requirement.

2. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    This post is poetic. Haiku..ish

3. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    I've been hardcore supporter from th go.
    Played through the trial.
    Not sure if I want to buy the game.
    Really glad they made the game but it's not giving us anything new like what Pokémon did to the mobile market.
    They are going to be pulling some mad cash flow from Mario , fire emblem, and then animal crossing is going to be the half a billion $ pulling game.
    So many ways to make money from this title

4. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I really enjoyed the demo and will probably pick up the entire thing at some point soon. I'm very happy that the game has some nice depth to it and a lot of replayability. The only thing that sucks is the unfortunate Internet requirement. Nintendo has officially landed their first game and with it being fully premium, I am super excited to see what Nintendo will release in the future.:D

5. brianj22

brianj22 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Game requires internet, as an LTE, it's not locked to wi-fi. If you have a plan then you can play it without wi-fi. I don't really understand that complaint. Like yeah maybe you can't play it on your big iPad but play it on your phone!

Has anyone been playing this and just been hit with, woah, I'm playing a legitimate Mario game on my phone right now. Like the music, polish, everything just screams Nintendo. Yeah it's an auto-runner, but it works perfect for the platform! And there's lots of depth to it. People have awfully strong opinions for a game that has been out for 10 hours. I think it's great, and given that it will almost certainly be updated, I see no reason at all to complain.

Folks who claim to have beaten the game already. 1. If you're saying you got all black coins on all the levels already, you're bluffing. 2. If you've already played through all the worlds I have to ask, if you go out to dinner and order a nice steak do you just scoff it down without chewing? If you order a nice glass of wine do you chug it? Maybe you don't drink or eat steak but I think you get my point. Take your time, enjoy the experience.

6. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Unless you game mainly when you don't have a connection, like on the Underground or on a plane. There are quite a few people on here mentioning they play games on their commute on trains, where they have no wifi or service. It just seems like they could have the app check in only when it can and verify that you aren't stealing it. That way, we could all play anytime, and Nintendo could still ensure their game doesn't get stolen by those of us who would pay for it anyway.

7. Mrcc23

Mrcc23 New Member

Aug 3, 2016
    I redeemed toad but on the app I can't select it. It says it's not redeemed yet. Any suggestions please

8. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Many thanks it worked, just didn't want to rack up the iTunes more then it already is... been awesome few weeks for iOS gaming :D

9. brianj22

Dec 14, 2016
    I feel like that's like saying I only like to use the internet when I have no access to the internet. Just seems like people being difficult! Idk, I don't want to disagree but if you only want to play SMR when you have no internet connection then I guess you don't get to play it. Play one of the other millions of games on the app store that don't require an internet connection and play SMR at home. If you live on a plane that only flies underground then that's unfortunate but honestly I feel like people saying they only game when they have no service are just being a bit of a pain.

10. brianj22

Dec 14, 2016
    Also most airlines and some trains provide wi-fi access. It's an extra fee sure but if you insist on playing SMR while traveling, you can in a lot of cases.

11. xxteargodxx

xxteargodxx Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Male
    NJ
    Okay I can confirm that doing the following below has got Super Mario Run working on my iPad. Not saying it'll work for everyone else but it's what worked for me and I found the resolution on reddit which I'll be posting this there as well.

I restored my device to factory settings and set it up as a new iPad I did NOT use iCloud back up. And now my game which was crashing is working fine. Have not yet tried linking Facebook to it, but I'm able to run the game now which I wasn't able to do earlier.

12. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    And I honestly feel like the people who are passing the 'always online' requirement as no big deal are just blind from loyalty/fanboyism. They're just so grateful that Nintendo finally brought them a Super Mario iOS game, that they're willing to turn a blind eye to anything.

Like you said, there are millions of games that don't require an online connection and this should be one of them. There is absolutely no reason for this to require a connection as it only screws over your paying customers.

For what it's worth, I'm not buying the game and it's not because of the online requirement. I just don't find that it's worth $10. There are other games for me to spend money on.. ones that will let me play whenever I want.

:)

13. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    But a mainly single player game shouldn't need Internet? Especially when it's being called "premium." Server downtime? Can't play your single player game. Game not making anymore profits? Your game is gone for good forever with server shut down.

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Without hyperbole, this type of behavior is killing the forums. I've spoken to many developers who used to be mainstays here on TouchArcade who don't bother coming around anymore because they're just ruthlessly badgered for every little thing by a cadre of shit posters. Forum traffic and activity is down, likely also for the same reason. It's no fun talking about iOS games when you have to do it by wading through people just totally flying off the handle over every little thing imaginable. We've tried heavily moderating threads to prevent this, and that just creates an even bigger problem as all of those people suddenly turn into first amendment freedom fighters who feel their rights are being trampled and we're moving their crazy rants because we're being bribed. (This is a real thing we were accused of trying to clean up the Galaxy on Fire 3 thread.)

I'm not sure what to do about it other than severely ramp up our forum punishments and start issuing longer and longer time outs to people who can't behave themselves and seem to only hang around here to make sure everyone knows how little fun they're having playing video games and how much they dislike what you like. I'd love to somehow get back to how the forums were back in 2009 or so when everyone was actually excited to be here, excited to talk to developers, and focused on posting about the things they enjoy and were looking forward to instead of the opposite.

Maybe that's just the way the internet as a whole has changed, who knows.

15. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    I think people making that "price of a Starbucks" analogy over and over is what's really killing the forums. I'm not saying they're wrong at all, but at least branch out into other coffee shop brands, like Costas and Tim Hortons, or even non-coffee related things entirely, like spatulas. You're moaning about something that cost you the same as a semi-decent, non-stick spatula!

16. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    (By the way, I've always found in life that an argument only becomes an argument once you capitulate. If you treat it with good humour and levity, it's much more likely to nip it in the bud than engaging in a long, shouty slanging match).

17. brianj22

Dec 14, 2016
    Sinagog. Would you rather have a couple cans of Maxwell House, or Super Mario Run? Better?

I'm new here and hate to come off rude but am baffled a bit by a mobile gaming community so offput by the concept of internet connection. Like, SMR requires internet connection!? I'll go back to Monopoly and Guess Who if that's the case.

18. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #218 coolpepper43, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    I like turtles

19. brianj22

Dec 14, 2016
    I'm not saying it's convenient but if you choose to use an ipad without cellular connection then unless you have wi-fi, you are choosing not to play this game. Maybe Nintendo will hear enough of this complaint and change but it just came out today and that's the decision they've made. If internet connection is required to play and you choose to use a device that doesn't have it, that just sounds like your problem and not nintendo's. I don't mean hostility at all but it is what it is.

20. €¥€

€¥€ Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Hey people can buy whatever crap they want but games like lost socks, goo saga, Leo's fortune, altos adventure etc are so much better and not 10 dollars for just the cache of Mario.
    Look at what you get with gta San Andreas and Minecraft for 7 bucks. For Nintendo to charge 10 dollars for this is insane. And I'm a nut cause I bought it as well.
    Hopefully they'll add more content that makes it better. but as is save your coins for a better game.