Universal Super Mario Run (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 14, 2016.

1. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    How do you see only an hours worth of content here? I've played about 30 mins and I haven't even gone past the 2nd level here. This game isn't meant to be one where you run every level once to "beat" it. These levels are meant to be rerun time and time again to get different coins, high scores and discover secrets.

That doesn't even get into rally or build mode.

2. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Yo....just wanted to let everyone know that this game is out!! I just got an email notification telling me so.

We have a premium game here that is great. No game is perfect but will never see premium in the future if this is the reaction.

I'm trying to take my time with it and get all three color coins before moving on.

3. bossjaja

bossjaja Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    >I'm just being real, there is an hour of content here.

Sure, if you rush through the 24 levels and don't touch the 360 challenge coins, kingdom builder, toad rally, or try to unlock the secret characters.

>I will be shocked if any of you are playing this in a month or two if not a week

:confused: I buy 3DS games on the regular, and it's rare that they last for more than a week or two. So what? Do I walk out of a movie theater and bitch that my $12 only got me 90 mins of entertainment?

>But this is nothing short of a fleecing

You need to seriously re-evaluate what you consider "fleecing" if you think that a premium Nintendo-quality Mario game that has several hours at least of content is asking too much at $10.

4. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Wow, the AppStore is RIGHT on top of their Super Mario Run notifications. LOL! It's been available for download since this afternoon and I'm JUST now receiving my email notification at 8:50pm (EST). :D

Attached Files:

5. floob

floob Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Anyone having problem linking facebook to the game? Mine crashes every time while trying to link fb.

6. Ancientmoon

Ancientmoon Active Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Haha yeah I completed this game in 5 hours lol
    Are you struggling with these coins? That means your play skill is really bad.

Sorry, but this game is for kids and stupid adults, not for true gamers.

7. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    "True gamers". And what would be that? How about "fake gamers"?

8. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Can someone explain how I get the different colored toads aside from just the red?

9. bossjaja

bossjaja Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    Go to the Toad Rally, then look at the available people you can race. See the toads under their names? That tells you what colors you can win from them. I haven't seen any of the last two colors of toads though, I'm assuming you have to get farther in the game or something.

Also, I think you win more toads from someone who has a bigger number, not sure though.

10. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Oh ok cool I guess I'm not far enough to start seeing different colored toads lol but I'm still only playing the first three levels trying to get all coins :p

11. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #191 Intendro, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    If your device's storage fills up enough to pop up the low space warning, triggering the cache cleanup...

Super Mario Run's data download is cache.
    The game itself is "temporary data."
    That doesn't make sense.
    And so you have to go burn up some more data usage. That's not good.

My save data is intact, though.
    (Speaking of which...
    Yes, I have seen games with their save data in cache. That is awful. An example of one? Regular Show: Best Park In The Universe.)

I believe my curiosity with this thing has run out, considering the online requirement nonsense.
    He said "Mario time!"
    Well... you know. :(

Attitudes like this is why they keep doing these stupid things. It never should've gotten to this point. It needs to stop. Seriously.

12. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    There's a pretty spot-on 7/10 review on polygon.com

13. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Man. I didn't think they'd be that inconsiderate in their programming. Just like Final Fantasy Brace Exvius, every time I use Battery Doctor to clean my phone's cached memory, I have to redownload this temp game data. I just wish games would store data in permenant folders so we can clean cached data without requiring more downloading. If dumb apps like Facebook and Instagram offered clean cache in settings, I wouldn't worry about these temp games.

Thanks for pointing this out, by the way!

14. Oneironaut3

Oneironaut3 Member

Aug 30, 2012
    i just wanted to chime in now i've managed to finally play the game (albeit had to be on my daughter's device), just on chance that someone out there in nintendoland is listening:

nintendo i can't wait to give you my money; though this here's a big stumbling block before i do so. given i live in the "boonie's" (& with sprint for my carrier, at that), i'd have to say that my only other issue, like so many here, would have to be the online requirement - an issue which undoubtedly ties together with the the problem discussed above.

solution? trust your product. trust your fanbase. ...and loyalty follows.

again, i honestly can't wait to give you my $.

15. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    My biggest disappointment is this needing to be online. Many people play games on the plane and wifi isn't something we always want to buy so this is a no go on most flights!

16. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    The fact that you bring up the term, 'true gamers' is hilarious for its own sake - do you true gamers have a clique where you play true games?

17. Dema9o9ue

Dema9o9ue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jan 16, 2015
    Loving the game. The depth is surprising even for a Mario game. Was easily one of the best purchases I've made. I hope future updates add more to the town building aspect. Would be very cool to see that expanded on. I'm sure this game will make millions and I hope that'll encourage Nintendo to make more iOS games.

Bravo Nintendo. This game shows you truly understand how to make a mobile game.

Only real criticism I have is poor friend implementation. Make it easier to find friends and once you have friends make it so you can compete against them directly. As it is now I don't really see the point of friend integration.

18. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Love the game and no doubt it will be better with each update. Also ignore the idiot kids who make fake accounts to knock the game, they are mad it's not freemium and/or are too broke to actually spend money on it. It's definitely a good game and a welcome addition to mobile gaming.

19. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Yo! I worked hard 4 that NES ending! This iz juz gettin started and it'z simply Super Mario World fun. The content over time & now the fans should be heard on what can be changed 4 the better. This 4 me iz like not expecting to get a NES 4 Christmas cuz i wuz outside having fun & riding my bike then gettin it early. As simple as this iz 4 a Videogame it still holds something special

20. revolverblue85

revolverblue85 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Played through the trial... Just not my cup of tea. Not a big auto runner fan. Looks great and definitely seems to be up there in quality. Just not for me.