Universal Super Hexagon by Terry Cavanagh, Universal, TA GotY 2012 Honorable Mention

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 31, 2012.

1. agentblank

agentblank Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Hardestestest

2. zrgrvsh

zrgrvsh Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Studend
    Germany
    I've recorded a video of the ending sequence yesterday, for those of you that have already beaten the game and want to rewatch the ending. Or those that are certain that they'll never beat the game, but i would really encourage you to try hard (or hardestestest ;)), the feeling of accomplishment is totally worth all exasperation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90etrnPK7_U

3. Scorpion008

Scorpion008 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Link doesn't work for me.

4. zrgrvsh

Apr 25, 2009
    Studend
    Germany
    Hm, the link works just fine for me, don't know what the problem could be. But you could also try searching in youtube directly for "Super Hexagon Ending".

5. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Wow... You re good!!!

6. Scorpion008

Jun 18, 2011
    Works now. weird.

7. jamarohn

jamarohn Active Member

May 18, 2012
    Holy. Crap.

Watching this gave me a bit of nausea.

8. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Hey guys, just wondering, does playing this game make your mind any "sharper" and "more alert"? Seems like it could based on the super speed of the gameplay and quick response times required.

Also, are levels random or can be memorized?

9. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    For the first sentence, maybe. Levels arent random but there are patterns that can be recognized and are always the same so you can get used to them per difficulty. But its the same, hard as titanium. Good luck with that.

10. Dang, this game gets more and more addicting. But it's hard as hell, but heck, like it like that. But man, get happy with a score over 20 seconds, haven't even gotten over 30 seconds yet. Too cool, and killer thumping music. Just love the music visualizer aspect to this game.

11. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I agree. Fantastic game .... I just wish to get past 30' one day!

12. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Last famous word, I passed 30'

13. iChris

iChris Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Software Developer
    Dortmund, Germany
    First thought: simple graphics
    Next thought: First thought does not count -> addictive

14. Next thought: Music is rad!

15. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#155 Bronxsta, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    So thinking of buying

Wasn't interested before, but after reading through this forum, other praising articles, watching the trailer, and playing the super-addictive flash game, I'm sold

A few questions:
    Are the levels endlessly randomized or once you go 60 seconds in one "level", then new patterns start? How does this work?

Any IAP? Anything new added in updates?

If you die, do you start from the complete beginning or from the start of your most recent "level"?

Any news about price drops or sales, because 2.99 seems kind of steep for a game as simple as this?

16. Scorpion008

Jun 18, 2011
    I have bought this game and it is my GOTY, no question. After each 60 seconds, the levels change. For example, Hexagon-> hyper hexagon (diff colors and faster + one new obstacle)-> super hyper hexagon (only color change)-> Hyper hexagoner (many new obstacles, drops old ones, new colors)...etc.

No iap, nor will there ever will be. However, there will not be content updates either. Terry Cavanaugh released this info.

Beginning again. No checkpoints. Hey, this game's middle name is brutal. But its first name is Super, remember?

There either just was or is still a sale because super hexagon was just featured in the British app store. However the full price is totally worth it. I bought it on iTunes and on steam because it's just that awesome.

17. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    #157 defred34, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
    Well, if anything, it only looks simple. I can imagine the amount of ingenious code and mathematics involved in creating this game. That is where the brilliance lies!

Heck, if I ever want to create a game, I'd do something similar - ultra simple graphics but a mind-bending gameplay that makes good use of mathematics!

18. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Hey guys,

Just got this on PC. Have probably played in excess of 200-300 levels already!

Anyway, on Hard, my max score is 55s. And on Harder, it is 27s (I only tried this diff level about 15 times so far).

Is it good? On Hard, I keep on dying in the 30s range now.

19. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Wow, I never knew this. Can anyone verify this? I am into the 70s range on Hexagon, so yeah I don't see why I can't get further if it simply is Hyper Hexagon that I am playing. I know the color scheme is that of Hyper Hexagon but I doubt that's it.

Also, when do I see the ending? After winning Hexagonest? That's unlikely to happen...

20. zrgrvsh

Apr 25, 2009
    Studend
    Germany
    Yes, each level has basically 3 grades, normal, hyper and "super hyper". After 60 seconds it switches to the next grade and after the last grade "super hyper" it switches to the next level (and starts there with hyper-mode).

So as Scorpion wrote for example:
    hexagon -> hyper hexagon -> super hyper hexagon -> hyper hexagoner -> super hyper hexagoner -> hyper hegagonest -> super hyper hexagonest.

I've also put up a video where i started at hyper hexagon and visited all 3 levels in one go (4min 11 seconds): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysV5ezTU9wE