Universal Super Hexagon by Terry Cavanagh, Universal, TA GotY 2012 Honorable Mention

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

This is undeniably addictive for some reason! Hypnotic, absorbing, adrenalin fuelled, frustrating and calming all at the same time. It's worth playing just for the banging chiptune!

I'm getting better but I think you need ninja skills to get over a minute!

Really good game for short bursts, but yeah "one more go" transcendes into 10 more quite easily :D

2. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    Love it, a perfect game for the iPhone. I'm really bad, though, my record is just under 40 seconds.

3. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Hit 55 seconds today. Not bad not bad ^_^
    Still addicted. But still no explanation as to why you can't play away from wifi!

4. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Are you sure about this? I just tried with wifi closed on my iPad and it plays fine...

5. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #65 TheFrost, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    I play on iPhone 4, without wifi and it works fine like ironsam says... iOS 5.1.1r1

6. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    The Touch Arcade Game of the Week poll has started and Super Hexagon is in it, please vote it if it is your pick of the week... Lets win!!

Link: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=151538

7. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Oh thanks for clarifying it works offline for others.... It must be a bug? Or my device has been dropped one too many times.

Incase the dev is listening, I'm running 4.3 on iPad 2. It freezes if it's not connected to my game centre (due to no Internet connection)I can open the app, start a level, it starts to count down, but then it freezes and I can't move.
    It usually freezes right after "could not connect to gamecentre" notif.
    Thanks

8. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Vote for your favorite GOTW !!!

[thread=119439][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=151299][​IMG][/thread] [thread=152302][​IMG][/thread] [thread=151225][​IMG][/thread] [thread=150856][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=151250][​IMG][/thread] [thread=151279][​IMG][/thread] [thread=150512][​IMG][/thread] [thread=151226][​IMG][/thread] [thread=151222][​IMG][/thread]

Click on above icons
    to discover more about the games!

[size=+3]SUPER HEXAGON[/size]
    is one of the nominees for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    05/09/2012
    [/size]

Do you like this minimal action game by Terry Cavanagh?

[size=+3][thread=151538]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]

Poll close
    13/09/2012 at 05:40 AM

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I have such a hard time with being clear on which way I'm going to move. I inevitably press one side and end up moving the opposite of the direction I thought I was going to move. I feel like this would be better for me if I could rotate around the circle via sliding, instead of left/right buttons. But I'm not sure. Maybe tilt control would work better. That certainly works in other games that involve rotating. So while I kind of like this game, I find it frustrating control wise.

10. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Finally! Did 65 seconds and unlocked Hyper Hexagon... And that mode is insane.. this game earned a permanent place on my iPhone.

As of right now, controls are good, if I die is my own fault kind of controls... But I like the idea of a slider, would be very intuitive.

11. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I don't have problem with the controls (only with my reflexes) but a slider sounds good!! Tilt i think don't fit because of how fast is the game... You haven't time to touch a side not to tilt the whole device.

12. buckeye79

buckeye79 Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Yeah, if I rotate around then I get mixed up.

This is fun, but really effin difficult! I would have liked one notch easier just to get the swing of things.

13. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Yeah it would be too hard to tilt that fast, sure Terry tested this without much luck

14. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Can anyone who's cleared Hardest tell us what the final difficulty name is? I'm really curious, but it's gonna be a while until I manage to beat that thing (still at 37 seconds).

15. Raptor25

Raptor25 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Great game. Finally beat haxagoner after hours of trying and clocked in at 88 on the leaderboard.

For a long time there were 2 patterns I kept dying on, then I finally had them all down and would rarely ever get overwhelmed/confused... I'd just inevitably over/undershoot a rotation by a few pixels and die since it becomes too fast to readjust past 30 seconds for me. FtustrAting but i dont really blame the controls, not like i never make a control mistake on xbox or pc games.

And of course after a few minutes of hexagonest I couldn't get past 15 s and it felt like back to square one.

16. Lance_TA

Lance_TA Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    6 seconds away from unlocking hyper mode since two days :mad:

17. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    ^ With enough practice you can beat it, proven fact... Hyper mode is insane in the good way everyone needs to try and die there! ;)

18. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    IMO, Hardester is easier than Hardest (but still very, very tough).

Hardestest, now that's another story...

19. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Finally gave the game a go. Some pretty trippy stuff starts happening once you hit your 50th "game over" in one sitting. Couldn't play more than 10 minutes. 24:49 for level one so far. The other levels..

Killer game though.

20. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    How I wish this game had a sensitivity setting. I cannot get the hang of the way too (for me) high speed. I hate tapping like a mad man. Everything seems so nice.