Universal Super Glyph Quest - (by Alexander Trowers)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Did you try: delete game, restart device, new install?
    Had that a few days ago but a new installation worked fine.

2. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Hmm.. Keep matching the same glyphs as much as you can (they get stronger the more you use the same one). Also you can match 2 glyphs if necessary (unlike match 3 games that require at least 3). Give that a shot and tell me if it works out :)

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #43 Vovin, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

Yeah, it's a tactical challenge. The best way to reach highly damaging spells in the beginning is to match 2 or better 3 glyphs of the same kind, build up a chain by matching the same elements (either 2 or 3 glyphs) as long as possible and when it's used up, do a reverse spell (opposite element) for a big blast. An example:

start looking for the most glyphs on the board, (f. e.: fire)
    Turn 1: match 3 fire glyphs
    Turn 2: match 2 fire glyphs (Chain 1)
    Turn 3: match 3 fire glyphs (Chain 2)

now, no more fire glyphs are on the board, look for the opposite element

Turn 4: match 2 or 3 water glyphs.

This way you are able to put out some serious ouch.

4. Tonk Montana

Tonk Montana Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I think it is worth pointing out here that when you do your reversal, it needs to be the biggest chain of glyphs possible. A match 2 is much weaker than a match 3 and the reversal won't be 'massive' damage if you only match 2.

Also, always make sure you have a health pot in your bag...just in case. Don't buy them from shop, go farm them.

5. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    I never heard of the original until now (I haven't been real plugged into the iOS scene for a while either). Is it recommended to try that game out first or just right into this one?

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yes, you're right, I forgot and didn't include this fact. The age, you know? ;)

7. Tonk Montana

Tonk Montana Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Get both. Support the Devs. They are both awesome but you don't need to play the first to understand the second. A lot of assets from the first were used but that's a plus in my book because I loved them and are glad to see them here.

8. Bulk Paint

Bulk Paint Well-Known Member

The second rat quest? The trick is to target the rats individually - leaving it to random chance will most likely get you killed.

Then, as always, it's about Chains.

9. Bulk Paint

Wise words, but spoken by someone who played the original.

You can only farm for items once you've selected the Loot perk. If you don't select that perk, you won't find any items. Why would you not select the Loot perk? Well, because there are many other perks and you won't be able to get them all on a single playthrough.

We're fiendish like that.

10. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    Just a small question. Is the 1st game worth getting now that the 2nd one's out?

11. Bulk Paint

Since quite a few of you appear to have played the original (for which we thank you greatly), I thought it might be an idea if I made some notes about the things you'll find a little different in this one.

Reversals - At the start of the game deploying a Reversal will halve your Chain. This is important to note as it makes building a high-damage Chain up a lot harder. Later on, you'll be able to select the Chain Protection perk, maintains your Chain through a Reversal like the original did.

Combos - They're pretty similar to the first one, ie: alternating elements to cast (ABAB). This time, they're much easier to Chain as you can Chain off either element. That means you could follow up a Fire / Air Combo with Fire / Earth, Fire / Dark, Air / Water or anything really. As long as one of the elements is the same, the Chain goes up. This means that to Reverse it, you have to ensure that neither of the elements match.

Aftertouch - If you've selected the Aftertouch perk, any extra glyphs you include in the spell will be turned in to additional damage. A couple of caveats though. The extra glyphs can't be of the same element used in the spell. Also, Combos are particularly finickity about Aftertouch and matching elements will most likely cause the Combo to not work and instead cast a cheap basic spell.

Items - You can use as many items as you like on your turn then follow them up with a spell. The exceptions are the super damage items that appear later once you've completed the relevant quest arcs.

Perks - As you've no doubt realised, Perks are quite useful. There are many to choose from and they become unlocked progressively as you level up. Thing is, you only ever get the choice of three at any one time. If you don't see the one you're after, you can re-shuffle the cards, although that costs you gold.

Materials - Materials are used in Crafting which is unlocked once you've completed Crafter Parker's quest arc. Anyone can farm Materials but you'll do it quicker if you have the Gatherer Perk or go on Adventures (crossed sword icons - see Great Traveller Mike) rather than Quests.

Inn - This is your base camp. It's often worth returning here to see if anyone new has cropped up or if any of the regular guests have anything else to say to you.

Hope this lot helps!

12. Bulk Paint

Of course it is! The Mage License is even on sale until January!

(I may be a tad biased)

13. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks for all the notes! So do you have any plans on fixing the text under the app icon? :\

14. Kour

Kour Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Holy crap I am loving this!

15. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    Sorry, another question. Does this game (and the first one) have support for multiple devices? If not, are you guys mostly playing on iPad or iPhone?

16. kevin8977

kevin8977 Active Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Thanks for all the advice! I gotta start using these forums more often.

17. Bulk Paint

You don't like "SuperGlyph..."? You don't think it adds a certain... okay, I get it.

We need to do an update to fix the screenshot thing and to make it work on iOS6. Also, someone has told me about a typo. We'll see what we can do then.

18. Bulk Paint

That's what we like to hear. Now tell your friends :)

19. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    I fired up the original and I can't figure out how to scroll down when there is text in a box.

I know this is for the new game but u figured this thread would have a lot more activity.

20. Bulk Paint

That's because... well, you can't. Small consolation, but be thankful that you're not playing it on Android - those guys have no chance with their crazy resolutions.

The new game however - this problem goes away! Yes, thanks to some Code, we were able to fix the text box issues. Either that or we wrote less / smaller text.