Universal Super Dangerous Dungeons (by Jussi Simpanen)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I didnt like it at first too, but it's easy to adjust to the game's jump physics.

The difficulty of the levels IMO is part of the game's strong points.

2. Felipe MGaia

Felipe MGaia Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    I was coming here to say exactly the same thing, this is the only thing preventing this game from making it to my "best mobile virtual controls" list. I really don't understand this design decision, it compromises precise jumping and I can see no advantages. I'd love to know what was the reason behind this implementation.

Other than that, it's an amazing game that I definitely recommend. Congrats to the devs! :)

3. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Levels are actually really well crafted for speed running. The timing of the obstacles is just right to give some great opportunities to shave off a few seconds in loads of different places if you time it right. If you like chasing leaderboard times, there's plenty of replay value here.

The controls are perfect too, in my opinion. A bit different from other platformers, but feeling different from other games is a definite plus point for me.

4. flashsuper

flashsuper Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2015
    So where are th secret levels, I went back through all the levels of the first world two or three times now....and I haven't found a secret level...can I get a hint?

5. tobidayao

tobidayao Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Philippines
    Great game! One of the best free games out there. :) One of the things I like about this game is that it doesn't rate your performance by giving you one,two, or three stars. I hate those type of games.

6. Unseen Studios

Unseen Studios Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    UK
    Great game, I brought the IAP to get rid of the adds and to support the dev, I also went ahead and downloaded TDD to play straight after as I enjoyed this one so much.

7. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    If you've made it to the end of world four, pay close attention to the walls of the final chamber!

8. TraderJack

TraderJack Active Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Just beat it. Very good game. The slippery jump mechanic almost made me ragequit though. XD
    Fans of challenging platformer absolutely should play this.

9. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    It's no Goblin Sword, but great responsive controls, and competently designed levels and it's easily one of the better games this week.

10. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I have found the ones in world 2 & 3 but can't find in the first world after multiple play throughs.

11. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Look where the spinning blade that chases you starts from

12. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #52 Andy C83, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  13. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I had a feeling that's where it would be. Thanks for the tip

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Finally had time to actually sit down and finish the game and I have to say that it was an absolute pleasure playing this from start to finish.

The controls? The comments about Mario earlier in the thread are spot-on. How many of you guys have never played Mario before? It feels completely natural to hit the back directional button and balance your jump out here just like it did all those years ago. I'm seriously surprised people have issues with them.

As far as the length is concerned, get rid of being able to save your progress and you have a game that's at least double the size of any old-school platformer on the SNES or Mega Drive. The game, to me at least, is flawless in that regard.

Easily, EASILY worth the $2 to disable ads and the perfect introduction to Tiny Dangerous Dungeons. Adventure Islands have put themselves on the map and I can only look forward to everything they do in the future.

15. AdventureIslands

AdventureIslands Well-Known Member

Lots of players have been comparing SuperDD to League of Evil and after finally trying out LoE 2 myself, I hate to admit that game really does have much better controls than SuperDD.

That's why I'm working on a update that hopefully makes the jumping and controls better: I'm increasing the player's friction so he slides around less, and I'm doing small change to players jumping: if you release left or right movement buttons while in air, you rapidly drop speed and fall down. Not immediately, but pretty quickly. This should make it easier to fall on platforms beneath you if you accidentally make a too long jump and are in danger of accidentally missing them.

If I upload the new build or Apple's review today it should be available in around 1 week and couple of days presumeably.

16. t00nish

t00nish New Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Super Dangerous Dungeons is a great platformer that takes me back to my younger days when difficulty and annyances of dying were at its peak. Not a bad thing to say the least as I've already beat two dungeons and half way through the third.

The controls aren't the best, but I feel it shouldn't be for a puzzle platformer. The best situation is for the controls to be somewhat of an obstacle in itself to lend a hand at creating an experience as a puzzle platformer.

The rush to get keys to open the doors are super intuitive, the dungeon gaurdians are cool and the graphics are familiar. Though the ads are aggravating, this game is definitely a 8/10 score in my book.

17. t00nish

t00nish New Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Glad you're reading through the reviews and tailoring the game based on the feedback. definitely something I admire about giving feedback to devs.

I understand the controls aren't the best, but I felt that they shouldn't be. In one sense definitely listen to the users, but in another sense is they might finish the entire game a little faster based on your dropping the difficulty. It's a great game already, but maybe something to consider?

Great job on SuperDD my man!

18. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    This makes me a little sad. I know you can't please everyone, that most people will probably prefer the new controls, and I'm sure I'll still enjoy it, but I can't help but feel that the game will be slightly easier and slightly more generic.

I hope it works for you though.

19. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    After playing the game this weekend and being now at the end i have to say.
    Amazing graphics bringing me back to my childhood.
    Pleasing music.
    So so so satisfying gameplay.
    Perfect controls.
    Promising dev that can do a lot.
    One of the 2 games i played so much in two days after 6 years being an ios player.
    That's it.
    Keep the good games coming Mr. dev!

20. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Good god please have the option to stick with original control dynamic, else no update for moi!!!!!!!!!