Super Crate Box vs. Muffin Knight

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Neehan, Jan 6, 2012.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Super Crate Box

55.6%
  2. Muffin Knight

29.8%
  3. Both are equal

11.3%
  4. Both of them stink

3.3%
  1. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I agree with you here. I am a bit of an oldschool SNES-era gamer, and I love retro graphics. But I feel like SCB just doesn't utilize those graphics in a useful way...the monsters don't feel like they have much personality, and neither does the player's avatar. That's why I prefer Muffin Knight over SCB...there's much more personality in the graphics, which is one of the big reasons people like retro graphics in the first place.

2. soggy

soggy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    I am the 1.69%

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I'm 14 and I love pixelated graphics so you can just wipe off that stupid "only old people love pixels" theory.

4. LookingForGames

LookingForGames Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Appstore
    I played both and I must admit I prefer SCB. It may be a retro game with limited content compared to MK, but I just prefer the feel of it, it's so simple but so amazing.

5. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    The have the same goal as it has been stated, but the gameplay on SCB is much better than MK. It's just more fun. The fact that my high score is 15 but I keep coming back like nobody's business is proof of that. SCB was nowhere near as hard, but I lost interest in it very, very quick. Plus, I'm not the biggest fan of "frou frou" cutesy graphics anyway...some are cool, but it's not really my style.

Also, I never said SCB had a ton of personality when it came to its pixelated graphics. I was saying that about retro design in general. Most of them ooze with personality. I do still like SCB's pixelated design though.

Honestly, unless the game is like Glowfish, Lumi, etc, I'm very judgmental on modern styled designs. Most are just made to look nice but lack character.

How is it more popular? I bet a lot of people, like myself didn't even no it really existed. I was championing SCB the minute after release before all the hardcore fans even had the chance to post. I mean, a lot of ppl seemed to have never heard of it and plenty of ppl thought it was a copy of MK. IDK...

---------------------

As far as voting for it because it came first, that's baloney. MK had a lot of added features, but like I said earlier, its gameplay is like a sad puppy when compared to SCB.

6. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    #26 Zevious Zoquis, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
    Can't comment on the comparison between scb and mk as I don't have the latter, but I can comment on the appeal of retro graphics. I don't think SCB is a particularly good example of the style, but games that do get it "right" (Canabalt, League of Evil, Superbro's S&S) I think are almost magical-looking. Theres an artistry to getting more with less. When I play a game like say Don't Run With A PLasma Sword I feel like I'm watching a bunch of stickers move around on a painting (I get a similar feeling watching vids of MK). When I play Canabalt (a much simpler game in both visuals and content) I feel like that pixelated little dude is running around in a pixelated little world and I'm watching through a window. I think it almost comes down to a bit of an "uncanny valley" effect for me. Done right, pixelart style just oozes charm and can be very evocative.

7. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Well, I prefer Muffin Knight because it has more characters (instead of costumes) and it has more varieties.

8. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    same. My preference is MK of the two. Didn't know that MK had been heavily inspired by the other one but I think actually both are heavily inspired by another game- one of the Nintendo ones.

9. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Be nice my young friend

Sounds like you may need to grow up and re-read my comments.

I said 'Maybe its the 'older' crowd.

Rule #1 my young friend is no name-calling; calling my comments stupid is not a good way to come across. Everything I outlined in my post was speculation and completely my opinion, which as humans, we are all entitled too differing thoughts and ideas.

Rule #2 - respect your elders

10. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Rule #3 - No touching of the hair or face.

LMAO

11. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    And by far the hardest to adhere to!!

12. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Michael Scott - "On the street we didn't have any rules. Maybe one, no kicks to the groin, home for dinner."

13. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Hello,
    This is my first post of hopefully many. I just made this account to put my thoughts into this thread.
    I originally had never heard of Super Crate Box until I found the Muffin Knight thread in the forums back when it first came out. I bought MK the second I saw gameplay as it looked like a bucket of fun. After I played for a while, I quickly fell in love with the gameplay. Then I saw a post saying that MK is a blatant copy of SCB. This was news to me as i had never heard of SCB before.

So after I saw that post i went and Googled Super Crate Box. I downloaded it and after about three hours of gameplay, and about 30 minutes of the tutorial, I had realized that my day was gone. I found out quickly that I love SCB as well. I kept playing SCB or about a week or two and grew tired of it. So after I was tired of it I moved back to MK to try multiplayer with my best friend. We played MK multiplayer for about 10 minutes and then got bored.

Then SCB iPhone came out. I have to say that I really like SCB on iPhone more than MK. I feel like if I was ever waiting in a doctor's office I would play either SCB of PDA Games. Oh, and if you don't have PDA Games go get it (completely off topic).

So all in all, I like SCB better because of it's face paced nature, it's Rage Inducing Comas, and the retro graphics.

I do in fact like retro graphics because my first games that I ever played were on the SNES and NES.

14. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Pda games or s and b games?? Lol

Muffin Knight for me, how can anyone get over 40 to unlock more stuff on SCB?? Lol

15. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Whaaatt! I didn't know The Behemoth made an iOS game. Just bought it! When are they gonna port Castle Crashers...ughhh!?! That was one of my favorite XBLA games.

Sorry...off topic.

16. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Ikr? It was so unannounced! And I need me some Castle Crashers!!

17. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    A Castle Crashers port with multiplayer would definitely be GOTY!

18. romanista

romanista Member

Scb is kore pure for me... Mk seems a bit fake at times due to the graphics... But is actually quite nice too. The santa mode etc make it more than a direct clone.. And they were first on iOS..half the amiga's games were clones of other systems but loved it for it

19. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    SCB no competition. If you voted against SCB cuz of the difficulty, ur a failure

20. 0-FeliX-0

0-FeliX-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    I chose generally chose SCB because of the fast-paced action. Muffin Knight is nice, but it becomes a bit of a grind later on.