GameClub Super Crate Box - (by Vlambeer)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jan 4, 2012.

1. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, it seems to be jumping up by about 2,000 crates every minute or so!

2. h9lz444

h9lz444 Member

Nov 11, 2010
    what are the other two game modes about ?

3. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    You guys are killing me. Why dear God does the bug have to affect the 3GS, why??? I'm going to commit seppuku with my iPhone. Now that's irony!

4. delfin

delfin Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    I'm finding the controls on my iTouch to be playable but something I'm going to have to get used to. For a precision-move-and-jump-and-shoot game, any kind of virtual controls will have its limitations -- at times I sync up nicely and start mowing down enemies, then I shift my thumb slightly and watch my guy dive into a pit or blow a jump and land right on an enemy. Occasionally I look all over for a crate and can't find one and have to say 'ah, it's under my left thumb.'

On an iPad, I don't know if things will handle differently, as I don't have one to test on. On a small screen like an iTouch's, they're about as good as I expected from my experiences with iMAME, which is to say usable but clunky. But FUN! regardless.

5. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    The game is great, but unfortunately I suck at it :(

6. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I've been searching for what SMFT stands for and apprently it
    super mother f*cking troglodyte.
    At least this was the only thing I could find and everyone went along with it. lol

Anyways, "SMFT has more enemies pour in from the top; and Ambush enemies are dropped into the stage randomly from several points."

7. Paradise

Paradise Active Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Netherlands
    Haha, you have to got a score of 40 crates to unlock them.. It looks impossible. My highest score until now is 22 :p

8. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    #148 New England Gamer, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
    No separate thread - the beauty of the app store is that there are several similar games to compare to. People compare and contrast all the Zuma clones out there; people compare and contrast all the FPS out there; why all the rage on this one? Similar but different is what I would say.

As long as it is a respectful conversation my vote is to leave it for comparison's sake. It really isn't intended out of disrespect in my opinion. Not only that, if all posts in this thread that mention Muffin Knight are deleted it would be choppy and not flow right. Just like in the Muffin Knight thread if we deleted every single reference to Super Crate Box it would be disjointed.

Inspirations happen all the time. Both developers have acknowledged that. If someone has played one and not the other they are perfect reference points.

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    It is kind of strange that it's only on the 3GS. Runs smooth as butter on my iPod Touch 2G. And usually, I'm the one complaining I can't play some of the new games (3GS and up required).

10. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Super Crate Box is like MK, except made for people that aren't total wieners.

If you liked MK and aren't a total wiener, consider getting Super Crate Box!

11. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Yeah, I'm sure it loads on the click wheel devices too.

12. baartlebooth

baartlebooth Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Hey there

Been ticking the game 'til 30 crates in normal mode, have all the weapons now and can more or less give impressions about what I like and not.

All the unlocking new skins/new difficultiies/new weapons paradise is there, the screen rendering of the pixel art is top natch, this is pure hardcore Super Crate Box 100% ported except the for the tutorial who has disappeared (I loved that tutorial ()

The controls are incredibly responsive, been experiencing no lag issues for now and as it has been said in another post it is even less laggy than the PC/Mac version.

I have although 2 questions :
    - is it a decision of vlambeer to prevent us from jumping while we're holding fire with weapons such as the machine gun/mini gun etc ...or is it a bug ?
    While it is less accurate than with a stick or a cpu keyboard, it is a possible technic with touch controls ( as it is possible in Muffin Knight) why isn't it possible here ?
    - I often ask myself if there is no hit box/ collisions problems, I would have the same actual problem with the cpu version so I don't know if it "as the original" or different, or just an illusion ...

I think there should also be controls options in order for us to choose the button's luminosity/place etc ...

Final words to speak about a situation I am uncomfortable with : why Touch Arcade hasn't made any review about Muffin Knight ?
    You made a lot of review of good/bad clones of other games, why being so picky about MK and SCB ?
    MK has been out for almost 10 months with quasi complete silence here about it and the next minute SCB is out we can read a preview and I am not counting all the coverage SCB has been gratified here since it has been announced (and delayed ...)

Having now the 2 on my ipod touch, I can totally say they are 2 different games with different goals and purpose .
    Muffin Knight is an incredible SCB clone that adds a hell lot of new stuff ,3D HD graphics, perks, new characters like pumping head man wich is an instant classic, bosses and even new gameplay mechanics like the 3 new stages, especially the Xmas ones, Online Vs Multiplayer etc ... and is a more casual game, that feels less "thighter" regarding the challenge (perks abuse, controls cans sometimes be a bit sloppy/ laggy on non ipod2 and iphone 4s devices etc ...)
    Angry mob games has been incredibly responsive here since the launch of MK, the controls are now perfect and the game has flourished into an incredible new experience that's always respecting its master (control quality, challenge etc) while inventing its own qualities.

SCB ios on the other hand is the super hardcore pure version of the game (that needs some work with controls / controls options as far as I am concerned), and that I'll always play from now on for a competiting purpose (too much perks abuses in MK) + for it's incredible rythm/artstyle/feeling that is completely unique.
    None of these qualities prevent me from going back to MK, I just don't play the 2 games the same way .

Great port, incredible game, need some control tweak and please let the master and its disciple peacefully coexist from now on .

Sorry for the wall )

13. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #153 GoofyJmaster., Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
    @Cygnet Lol

The controls are smooth as butter and live up to the arcade/platformer standards that we've grown accustomed to on iOS. After playing a while, I thionk the controls might be better than Mos speedrun. The game itself is very, very challenging and it will take some time to get used to it. I'm finding the frustrating part being not able to simultaneously jump and shoot. Here I say, iCaders have an advantage.

Overall great! Now time to perfect ma skillz b*tches

Personally, I think this is way better than MK. I actually didn't like MK at all. Screw fancy new stuff being added to a game, SCB is the real deal in pixel form

This is a game peoples:

590 kills
    53 deaths
    all in 8 minutes

14. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Well, just collected 400 crates haha. Running fine on my 2nd gen. Controls are perfect; I haven't had a problem with them yet, besides the first minute getting used to them.
    Only minor problem I've had was the boxes spawning in the corners of the map, where my thumbs are. xD
    Took me a few seconds to realize where the crates were. :cool:

So yeah, instabuy! Definitely a great deal for a buck.

15. flameon

flameon Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Lol im 6' 160 lbs with hands of a 6'3 person so i guess my hands are big... ;)

16. Paradise

Paradise Active Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Netherlands
    Amen.

The funny thing is.. It looks like all Vlambeer's games get ripped. First we had Angry Mob Games with Muffin Knight copying Super Crate Box, a few months later Gamenauts showed up with 'Ninja Fishing' which is à copy of Radical Fishing (not yet on iOS)... :(

17. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Don't we all? :D

18. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Lol :D I like Muffin Knight but I approve of this comment.

Also, what is with the icon?

19. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Played it for a while and what strikes me are the controls: THEY ARE PERFECT

@GoofyJmaster I also miss shooting and jumping at the same time

20. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Dang, i didn't know about Radical fishing! I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. The only thing is that people will be saying look at this MK clone when, in fact, it's the other way around.

The addiction that keeps on giving an @ss whoopin