GameClub Super Crate Box - (by Vlambeer)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jan 4, 2012.

1. reec0X

reec0X Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Computer Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Finally a fresh new game for 2012! wohooo...a big applause to Vlambeer!

2. DOOMBOT

DOOMBOT Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    #122 DOOMBOT, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
    EDIT - Nevermind, clicked the link and there it was. Buying now

3. Qurao

Qurao Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Denmark
    I've got a 3GS and it crashes on the initial loading screen for me as well.

4. ak47killa

ak47killa Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Muffin Knight is a lot of fun. SO i guess I'll probably pick this one up. I just don't see how it could be much better then MK. Except for the retro feel to it

5. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    @Dienekes

Being one of the people that said I'm getting it, I felt I should chime in. First off these games get released in NZ first and there doesn't seem to be a ton of super active NZ posters, The ones that are active tend to leave impressions as soon as possible provided they bought the game.

This forum is for talking about how excited we are for a game as well as the game itself. I haven't found this to be a problem for me at all. I can find a ton of impressions after the game has finally hit the US store and I like reading the excited comments. That's one thing that we all share in common here: our enthusiasm for iOS gaming. If you dislike all of these "pre"comments then only stick to the front page of TA or possibly find a new review site for your information.

Plus all of the buzz is great for the game's publicity. The more ppl excited for a game, the more views. You should know by now that it's a process: game releases in NZ, people show enthusiam on thread, releases finally catch up in other countries, impressions start to pour in, game talk starts to pour in, then the buzz peaks and will eventually taper off.

Sweet bajeezus, it's downloading on my iPod right now! I can see the blue progress bar moving and everything! Awesome...

My impression will be up later

6. Vlambeer

Vlambeer Well-Known Member

For those that missed it, the game has just gone live on the App Store worldwide!

We've also identified an issue with 3GS devices that crashes it at the launch screen. It's quite late here, but we'll find and fix that and try to have an update fixing issues like that ASAP). So sorry about that!

7. flameon

flameon Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2011
    If you have nothing nice to say, dont say it.

Wow this runs like a beauty on my ipod 4. :) you've outdone yourselves.

8. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Wow this is great! Mobile super crate box used to be laggy gameplay on my netbook but now its fluent, lagless, and one of the best gaming experiences and it fits in my pocket! I give it a 5/5

9. DOOMBOT

Apr 14, 2009
    I absolutely HATE the controls. They are either too close or very unresponsive. I find myself either not moving or jumping instead of shooting or shooting instead of jumping. I still haven't been able to unlock the second level. It took me one try on the MAC version to get 10 crates, I've played close to 15 times on the iPhone. Something needs to be addressed with these controls.

For the record, I have no problems at all with League of Evil or Mos Speedrun.

10. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    #130 CygnetSeven, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
    3GS bug here too. I force quit all apps. Boot my phone. Downloaded the app. Boot my phone again, and it crashed on the opening screen. :(

Edit: I tried Airport Mode and another reboot and still it crashes.

11. flameon

flameon Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2011
    No offense, but these controls are spot on, and are actually better than what I had hoped. However maybe they could provide different sized controls which are customizable ...

12. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Let my daughter borrow my ipad2 for the week as I'm out of town working. Downloaded SCB anyway, so very jealous of everyone who gets to play it tonight.

As for the MK and SCB talk, can mods just keep that from happening in this thread. This thread should be about SCB only in my book as MK has it's own thread and all arguing can be put in a separate general discussion thread imo. oh and then delete this paragraph afterwards please.

13. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Thanks for the game Vlambeer. Please add an option to move the virtual controls around the screen so we can place them where we want. I need mah Shoot button to be to the left of mah Jump button.

Also, it appears that any notifications that pop up from other apps during gameplay will kill the sound effects.

14. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Notifications tend to do all kinds of crazy stuff especially kill the framerate in other apps, does it kill the framerate when other apps notify in SCB?

15. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Can't see it yet here in Cali. Dammit.

16. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Game Impressions

My review of Super Crate Box:

I KILL WITH THIS PIECE!

-- Kepa

Controls are great, except for one big drawback - it's really difficult to hold the iPad like I normally do (holding it with my hands and playing with my thumbs) and do both a big jump AND shoot most weapons while jumping.

To get max jump height, you have to hold jump down. But to shoot most weapons, you either have to be holding the shoot button down, or be jamming the shoot button. Either way, it's kind of tricky to do the air-shots I want to unless I'm using a weapon with a limited firing rate (shotgun, rocketlauncher, etc). My least favorite example of this problem is trying to kill a flying skull with a flamethrower.

Other than that, it's a flawless port of Super Crate Box.

17. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Anyone asking for updates, we need to collect 5,000,000 crates. So far there have been 62,795 collected.

As far as this vs. MK, I like it when games are compared because it gives an overall better impression/feel of how the game is played. If ppl want a separate vs. thread, that should be made ASAP.

18. DOOMBOT

Apr 14, 2009
    Maybe you're not 6'4" and 225lbs either. I have big hands and the buttons are either too small or too close to one another. I have zero problems with the other games I mentioned. I can even play The Blocks Cometh vertically with no issues at all. These controls for SCB just aren't working for me and it's very frustrating.

19. Paradise

Paradise Active Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Netherlands
    Counter just reached 60.000 crates, if it goes on like this we'll get an update at the end of the week :D

20. Vaceotyn

Vaceotyn Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011