GameClub Super Crate Box - (by Vlambeer)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jan 4, 2012.

1. MrJR

MrJR Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    That's what I was hoping, and I felt pretty optimistic about it.

2. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Let`s better hope that the Game isn`t bugged to much and the Developer is trying to hide it that Way.

The last Time someone did something similar there had been some critical Bugs in the Game where people couldn`t play and the Developer did try to hide it that Way.

3. toythatkills

toythatkills Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Thames Ditton, UK
    Yah, I knew it had iCade support, I just wanted to know if it had separate leaderboards for the iCade and touch controls. Seems like it doesn't, though.

In that case, the game's not for me. There's absolutely no point chasing high scores when your controls are crippled (however good they are) compared to someone using an iCade, so the game is just useless to me.

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I have an iCade, but yes, there should either be a separate leaderboard for iCade, or perhaps just a marker to show that a player got the score with an iCade. Or ideally both (option to view the leaderboard combined or separate), since we'd all like to know if the iCade gives a big advantage or not.

5. Vlambeer

Vlambeer Well-Known Member

Just to give a quick heads up, we're definitely still releasing today, but Apple's automated system seems to have set our release time to 9PM EST for some reason (approximately 5.5 hours from now). It appears some people might be able to download the game already, though, so we've got no clue what happened.

We're supersorry for any inconvenience there, we didn't expect that to happen at all. We'll let you know the second it goes live!

6. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #46 GoofyJmaster., Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
    I don't have iCade due to not having an iPad, but I would think it gave a decet sized advantage to most games that support it. Think about SF4 or KOF, those two games would be so much easier for me if I played them on iCade. If I decide to get an iPad 3 this year (very unsure), I will definitely be buying iCade.

Thanks for the heads up!

7. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Update. That explains a lot. I will take your post to the Frontpage of this thread.

8. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    that's 2 hours earlier for the US! Sweeeeet!!!!!:D:D:D:D

(Sorry Europe):(

9. OneMinuteGames

OneMinuteGames Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
    To be exact: Developer can't set up a specific hour when app will show up, only a day. This situation is entirely an Apple side bug.

Different situation is with updates. They could be released manually by developer.
    Well, so I won't play it today (Europe) ;)

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Seems a bit over the top? Should there be leader boards for people over 16 years old and people under? I'm never going to beat some kids score on some games as I work and I'm married! Not as much free time as some kid who's playing a game non stop and getting silly high scores!

Just enjoy the game and don't worry about high scores so much or whether users have an icade

11. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

No it doesnt have seperate leaderboards as it would be extremely hard to implement that. And I wouldnt just put the game off just because you think other people have an advantage on high scores. The iCade, while being a nifty toy hardly increases your gaming prowess with SCB. This is all about twitch timing and with manual controls it is made all the more easier to mess up. The touch controls are top notch and have had absolutely no problems with them. The only reason why I have ever died is because of my own fault.

12. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I have to somewhat agree with toythat kills because iCade seems as if it would be a big advantage over the touch screen. However, I don't really play for high scores, but the worry is a valid one for competitive arcade players. And there's nothing wrong with that because people used and still do go to arcades and try to top high scores. Personally, I think the competitive aspect is kinda cool as I'm a competitive person in daily life.

There should definitely be separate leaderboards.

13. beast_skillz_86

beast_skillz_86 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Wait, does the message from the dev on the front page mean 9pm in the US like for new york?

14. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I don't have iCade, but I know for a fact that I'm better at arcade games on an actual arcade machine. There's nothing like jerking (hehe) the hell out of the arcade stick to go left or right. Twitch timing on iOS works best for games where you don't control movement and Shmups are different IMO.

9pm eastern time, so it will be 9pm for you but not other places outside of our time zone

15. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    9 pm (instead of 11pm) in NY, 6 pm (instead of 8 pm) in LA [and that's Los Angeles for those thinkin' Louisiana ;)]

16. toythatkills

toythatkills Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Thames Ditton, UK
    You're being silly, those are obviously not the same thing. It's more like if you were trying to play an FPS using a NES pad against someone using a mouse and keyboard. It's not a level playing field and it's not the player's fault, it's the game's fault and the hardware's fault.

In most games, it wouldn't matter, but all SCB is is a game where you go for high scores. If the leaderboards aren't separated, it means that for most people there will be scores that will never be attainable because they don't have the hardware to attain them. Like I say, for anyone using touch controls the game is pointless. It's a high score chasing game where the high scores will be impossible for them to reach.

17. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

You have to be fairly precise about where you move your character so he doesnt get killed by enemies. One touch and its game over. I think it would be easier to overmanuever/undermanuever your character and get yourself an easy death on the iCade. Whatever the case is there is no excuse to not buy this. NONE! :D

18. Vlambeer

Vlambeer Well-Known Member

We wanted to chime in quickly on the iCade discussion!

We've obviously playtested this game for months & one of the things that made us feel we had achieved our goal for the touch controls was that there was no longer any advantage for using peripherals like the iCade.

It's personal preference whether you use touch or iCade, but the actual scores you'll achieve will not be influenced by your input method - at least, they weren't for us!

19. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Oh, I'm definitely purchasing it! :D

I've never played SCB, so I don't 100% know how it plays. If there's enough floor space to hop into between then iCade all the way due to what I would consider easier directional movement. Plus, I've never really had a problem with arcade controls, but virtual joysticks, pads, and arrows can be quite frustrating at times.

@Vlambeer I just saw your post and hopefully that's true. It's just hard for some people to believe, myself included, without playing the game. Obviously most of us are just speculating for now, but we'll see at 9pm EST.

20. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    This sounds very good.... Vlambeer posting on TA and confirming that iCade isn't nessesary, cuz difficulty comes from the game....

you guys have more than earned my 99 cents :D