Universal Summoner Wars (Plaid Hat Games + Playdek)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vernimator, Jul 4, 2012.

1. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Which of the new factions is the most powerful? I had tried the pre-update factions but lost against the AI...

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #1402 LordGek, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
    My own rule of thumb, if they can't make an AI for the faction, it is probably too tricky for me to play as well. So while the new Benders faction might kick butt, it is likely to be one of those factions, like the Cloaks, best used by advanced players. VG, on the other hand, sounds a lot more straight forward bashing fun with most of their events focused on manipulating your common units.

3. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    So basically update, then buy the VG IAP to start kicking butt?

4. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    I'm a little confused. VG has always referred to the Vanguards. Isn't it better to call them MV?

5. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Also, weird bug.

I can't invite friends to play online. I can only open new games. The app crashes when I click "invite friend"

6. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Good lord, the AI for the new factions is terrible. I've yet to lose a single match against the AI while using the Cloaks. And it's not just weak decisions, it's stuff like the MV AI using Muster when Sunderved is surrounded on all sides or using Superior Planning to retrieve Muster when Greater Command is in the discard pile.

This is a known bug, they are trying to push a hotfix soon.

7. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
  8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    That sucks, I was hoping for at least some decent training from the AI.

9. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Yeah the AI isn't very good.

I'm struggling to play well with the new factions so far. Benders are much more fun and more in line with my magic based attack style. Mountain Vargath I find are very hard to play with. Slow to move forward, susceptible to magic drains and no range.

I guess I'm going to be stuck playing VG and GD still...

10. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    OMG I just had the most incredible comeback ever in Summoner Wars! I dare someone to have a more epic comeback.

I was cursed with the walls at the bottom of the deck with Benders, meanwhile, my opponent with FK summoned Elut Bal in turn 2 and just hammered my lone wall.

The wall fell, and I had no units, no walls, and 8 magic. Meanwhile, he had 2 phantoms and a full health Elut Bal closing in on me and I was backed into the very right corner.

I use a mind control on a phantom as a last resort, he moves in... and takes control of Elut Bal. Tide was turned from that point.

I still don't have a wall, and have to deal with his Anica charging down to try and finish me. I counter-summon and it's more or less all over.

TL;DR Mind control phantom > Elut Bal capture

11. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    #1411 soldat7, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    This is me posting from July 5, 2012, and now I have a problem. I'm doomed forever to spend the maximum price for each faction, aren't I? Had I bought the original "all-in" pack, would I be set to get additional factions? I'm a poor grad student now and can't afford to be as generous anymore :)

Or does everyone have to pay for new factions at $3 a pop regardless?

12. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    New factions are currently only available as standalone packs for $3 each, eventually they will be available as part of a new Master Set bundle.

13. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Great. Thanks!

14. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    OMG, everyone is saying that the AI is easy??? I have played about 10 games trying different opponents and factions to work with and lost them all. Obviously i need some help with it. I have watched a WATCHITPLAYED video and several other vids on youtube and have the mechanics down, but just always get slaughtered as soon as the fighting starts. Do they every expect to put an easy button on this? If they dont i guess i wasted yet another 12 bucks or so...BTW i just bought ascension and within a day or two i am competing against 2 bots on hardest setting and winning my share. Also picked up elder scrolls and though i dont win many at least i feel i have a chance. If anyone can point me to any sources of training books, websites, or whatever i do appreciate it.

15. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #1415 tops2, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    Gotta just google for tips. Boardgamegeek is a good place to start. There's a good fansite for this..but for the life of me I can't remember it.

If you read a lot..and keep trying and learn what you did wrong and how the AI plays..you may eventually find the AI easy. I had the same experience as you too..kept losing. Somehow something clicked and now I find the AI to be easy too. But it was a long and frustrating experience.

16. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Keep at it. Luck is a substantial factor. Plaidhat forums have a lot of useful info. Great game but can be frustrating.

17. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Okay will look in on the google thingy for the fansite and whatever else it brings up. I tried playdek site but overlooked the forums section, will look again. Thanks for the encouragement and replies, this kind of game is what i like to do instead of staring at 4 walls or watching the tube.

18. darthpotato

darthpotato Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Hey all,

Just got into Summoner Wars on iOS. I'm a total noob to this game, but I'm looking for semi-regular players for asynch play. I'd love it if you guys could add me at "darthpotato" (minus the quotation marks).

Also, I'm thinking of getting some of the IAP decks. Are there many decks that are not yet included in the Corel pack? If so, what are they?

Thanks!

19. Jools75

Jools75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Secret Agent :-)
    Italy
    Uhm... That's really annoying.

Updated my Summoner Wars... IOS7 ready, ipad2, no mess at all...

When clicking "restore purchase" I made a very annoying discover: everything I bought in the past (I've paid every single iAP including latest extra factions) is still reported to buy. Nothing restored, except the Phoenix Elves legacy reinforcement pack (wtf???).

Now what am I supposed to do? Lost all my preconstructed decks, not to mention being very annoyed but this discovery... Is there a proper method to restore my purchase? For the sake of god, I paid more than 15€ in stuff here...!

:mad:

20. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I've got the same problem, I just downloaded summoner wars and clicked restore purchase and "nothing" everything is still locked, only one thing unlocked was the Phoenix elves.
    Hopefully it'll get fixed.