Universal Summer Catchers (by FaceIT & Noodlecake)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Feb 18, 2020.

1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I guess so far my only question is do the cars change anything at all or is it just cosmetics? It’s fine if it’s just cosmetics and that’s what it seems to be but just wondering as I’d prioritise it lower.

2. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I’m struggling slightly to enjoy this. There’s a lot I absolutely love, the aesthetic, the story and the atmosphere is wonderful but I’m struggling with the actual gameplay.

At the moment it seems to be a case of collecting mushrooms to buy consumable cards to play at the right moment at random obstacles, of which I’ve also got to remember which card beats which obstacle. Mostly dying very quickly because I’ve not got the right card or pressing the wrong one (the latter my fault entirely not the game).
    Am I missing something or not put enough time into it yet? I want to like it I really do but it’s just not clicking at the moment.

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Give it time. It’ll click. ;)

4. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Finally took the dive and I gotta say, I love it!

The first thing that hit me is that it’s so charming. The artwork, background music and ambience, writing; and the best part - those little quirky voice cues. Absolutely love them.

Yes. RNG has a heavy influence on its gameplay. But I think it was a very intentional decision for its core gameplay. They want you to keep going back and discover something new, while you slowly progress towards your ultimate goal. Remove the RNG, and you could probably blaze through the game in one seating. The Devs clearly don’t want that. They want you to take it all in. And I’m fine with that.

Also, the key aspect of its core gameplay is managing your tools. DO NOT blindly pick them. Plan according to what obstacles you’ve been facing lately and purchase the right amount of tools based on that. I think that’s the way this game is meant to be played.

Still, early into it. I am sure it will get harder (maybe even frustrating at times) but the way the story unfolds and the discovery aspect of the game - I am totally in for it.

Hats off to the Devs for taking a risk and twisting a worn-out, millions of times re-used genre, and making something beautiful out of it. It’s Indie games like these that make me still believe in mobile gaming. (Can’t wait to play more) :)

TheSilveryWolf, Lull4by and ste86uk like this.
  5. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    So glad to see more people enjoying this.

I just had a question which I don’t think is a bug with this game but is stopping me playing unless I reboot. but maybe a GC error? But I’ve been having trouble the last few days trying to launch some apps. I feel like it’s GC stopping them opening as they freeze on loading where GC would usually pop up and connect. I’ve been having to reset my device to make them work but then it just starts happening again randomly. Anyone know how to fix this?

6. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    That sounds bad. Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a GC issue itself. Could be one of a few factors so taking my shots at it:-

1. GC struggles when the internet connection is not good. (Or no connection) Are you connected to a good wifi? Or a good data plan that works well?

2. I try to keep my accounts consistent. To elaborate - iCloud, App Store and GC - all three have the same account. If your case is different, maybe try that.

3. If both of the above aren’t the issue, then try to logout and login to the GC account from Settings. If the problem persists, just logout from GC and keep it that way.

4. Hoping that there’s still storage space in iCloud and you’re not on an iOS beta firmware.

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Apologies if it was you, but someone did mention the exact same thing in another thread here. I know that's next to useless, but if it wasn't you, at least it's an indication that it's not an isolated problem.

8. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Still enjoying this, although having to reboot my device to make it work with whatever is going on with GC.

Just made it to the third zone, that second boss like level took a few tries to beat it. It’s nice to see the changes and things that happen still it keeps the game interesting and from getting repetitive and boring.

9. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I did and it has.
    I can pinpoint the moment it did but I won’t for fear of spoilers, but yes I’m enjoying this massively.

metalcasket and ste86uk like this.
  10. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    This game is frustrating. How do you manage the tools to lengthen travel? If the tool isn't available on the right, I swipe a tile to switch it in the hopes of finding the right one in time to address the obstacle. However, this tactic isn't working too well. Tips anyone?

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Grinding basically. Well, sure, it’s a must, but it’s not brainless grinding. The more you play an area, the more you get a sense of the probability of a certain obstacle showing up instead of others. That way you know what tools to stock up on instead of others, etc. It IS a frustrating game, but it’s meant to be one. The best advice I can give you is to forget everything you learned playing endless runners over the last decade, and simply approach this as Summer Catchers and nothing else.

ColeDaddy likes this.
  12. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I dont get how you use the white owl to predict the next obstacle

also at some point in an area the colour changed and I could use a pick axe to destroy rocks ? What this event entirely random ?

13. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    The owl is triggered by a pickup in the air like with the rain he will then come and help telling you what obstacle is next for a little while.

The colour changed probably because you are in the next zone and the pick axe is for a quest so you only have it for as long as it takes you to complete that mission. Unless your further than me in zone 3 and it’s another tool later in the game.