Universal SumiKen (By Sia Ding Shen)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 11, 2017.

1. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    woo tap controls!

2. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    amazing game, amazing update. but filesize is back to the previous one (100 mb).

3. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Ok,

The new controls don't work right or I'm just doing it wrong. I see no tutorial for them. You tap on the right to slash and the tap on the left jumps and slashes. I just keep dying. How do you slash down? I tap to jump and slash and instead I'm dead. I just keep dying dying dying. I'm very frustrated because I really looked forward to this.

Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong or is anyone else having the same experience?????

Billy

4. opneon

opneon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 31, 2017
    To slash down, tap on the left screen while you are in the air. Is the control not responsive enough?

5. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    No they aren't. They aren't working well at all. I've been forced to go back to slash controls. I'm so frustrated. If you tap and take out an enemy perfectly and go to jump for the next enemy who is a ninja or even just to just over a regular enemy you die. You die if you attempt to tap again. You just die die die. I kept try until about a half hour ago. I've played dozens of times. I was trying to see if it was me. I switched back to slash and I'm having no issue even though I'd much prefer to tap. All the slashing is tiring.

I know you will get to the bottom of it. If you want to add me to test flight I'll help you test any updates.

Billy

6. opneon

opneon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 31, 2017
    Thanks for the feedback, when you tap, does the character jump? Or he jumps but still die? Trying to understand more on the tap issue before I can fix it. I can also add you to testflight, please pm me your testflight email. Thanks!

7. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    yeap, Billy is right, i just tested the new controls. the left tap to jump registers around 18/20 times and the other times you tap and nothing happens, either he doesnt jump at all or if in the air he doesnt slash down. the tap simply doesnt register.

8. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Also if you hold slash and press jump, the jumping button no longer works and vice-verse. These tap controls are going to make this game really rock once it's working.
    BTW, is there a limit to how many times you can revive with coins?

9. opneon

opneon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 31, 2017
    I think I get it guys, it has to do with the game only registering the first finger touch and if you hold it, the second touch would not register. I didn't realize I made that mistake, sorry. I will update the game again ASAP to fix this problem, want to get it working for you guys. Thanks for reporting the issue.

10. opneon

opneon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 31, 2017
    There is a limit for revive, you can only revive up to 2 times.

11. opneon

opneon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 31, 2017
    I think it has to do with some texture compression issue, last version had smaller file size but the texture are blur and badly pixelated. I will see if I can reduce the filesize in the next update. Thanks!

12. opneon

opneon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 31, 2017
    Okay fixed it! Now the tap control is super responsive, instant slash when tapped :D

Just have to build the new version and upload it on App Store. Hopefully the review process won't take too long.

Cheers!

13. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Nice to read this.
    And yep, i also didn't enjoy the current tap controls. Unresponsive.

The reason, why i didn't buy the game, was the flickering on top of the screen when in ink-mode. This made me a bit motion sick. So i thank you here once more for your offered code in the promo section.

The art work is simply outstanding in my eyes, and if i don't mix up things now, you're a single Dev. Congrats!

Wondering if the (pulled) Rōnin was an inspiration, besides probably other games i don't know at all.

14. opneon

opneon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 31, 2017
    Thanks for liking the art work, and yeah I am a solo dev :D
    Not sure about Rōnin, but my main inspiration came from Okami, you can read about it here at my blog.

15. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    #95 shfrost, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    I knew there was a bigger reason for me enjoying your game so much. Okami is an old favorite of mine, and I've been hoping beyond hope that someone will bring it to iOS. I find it incredibly odd that no one has done so! What a strikingly beautiful game. Also in your blog you mention Princess Kaguya as another inspirtation. The scene you posted is one of my favorites from that excellent movie, and I sure do see your art reflecting it.

Sumi-e is a magnificent art. As an artist myself, I've spent a little time with it but I haven't even scratched the surface. I enjoy your art very much and look forward to seeing what you do next. How about Okami?! ;)

16. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    I loved Okami!!!!!!!

This game also reminds me a little of a game called samurai blitz.

I am glad the tap controls will be fixed. I couldn't express what exactly was wrong. Its definitely not registering taps lol.

I really do love this game. The artwork is top notch. I love the entire premise of the game and it's gameplay. I hope more people pick this up.

I do wish there weren't so many taps to restart a game. I meant to mention that as well. Would that be possible? I'd like to be able to restart faster.

Billy

17. opneon

opneon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 31, 2017
    Thanks for reading :D
    It will be way way long down the road if I ever want to do something similar to Okami haha.

18. opneon

opneon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 31, 2017
    Okami is my all time best haha. And thanks for reporting the tap issue, I would not know if you didn't report that. Currently a new version with fixed tap control is in review, I will let you know once it's updated. I'm thinking about a way to restart faster as well.

19. opneon

opneon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 31, 2017
    Hey guys, SumiKen just updated to v1.4. This version has fixed the tap control and file size issue. Let me know if it works well for you guys, thanks!

20. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    three words for you : perfect controls
    Well done man ;)