Suggestion for TA to make money besides patreon

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jayg2015, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    i was thinking that besides a patreon how about getting together with a game developer and making a game and splitting profits with a game and in return you could give the game a spotlight , advertisement, and the biggest loyal fan base to almost guarantee top of the chart success even if it isn't that strong of A game.even for those who can't donate money yet buy apps every week . Put it out there for 9.99 and see what happens
    Just a thought

2. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    That would be a great idea if people would do it.
    As an 80s and 90s console game child, I still can't believe the incredible games I can play for $.99 - 2.99 these days. Plenty of games would be worth $9.99 if I knew part of it was going towards this site.
    Sometimes I click on the sponsor ads just because I think it helps? Does it, or do I actually have to buy the game advertised?

3. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Yea lets make it a gladiator game and all of the writers like Eli and Carter are bosses. We'd have to throw some humor in there so you know you'd have me in the game claiming they only give games good scores if they have energy timer mechanics hehe

Billy

It's actually not a bad idea to be honest. I'd buy a game if it was about TA.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If apps struggle to survive the appstore, what guarantee would putting up a new app do? Im pretty sure slapping the Touch Arcade logo would help a bit, but it wont be much. If supposedly popular premium games like MHFU and Bioshock end up in limbo, i cant see any guarantee that this'll fare much better. A title like Horizon Chase didnt even survive as a premium title.

And you're suggesting a $10 price tag.

5. cabuckn2

cabuckn2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Several forums have "premium" or VIP options. Usually like $5 a month.

For core readers, I think this would be a no brainer. I know I would do it in a heartbeat.

The user would get silly perks like larger avatar, different color username, etc.

6. Jubelio

Jubelio Active Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Have you looked at the patreon? There are already forums titles attached to the different tiers.

7. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    Hi there, from the actual cabuckn :) (had some username issues, so TA helped me out and gave me my original name on my "main" account here lol

Yeah, I actually just did the Patreon pledge yesterday (my badge will show up next month or something I think). I'm glad to support, was just throwing a different idea out there is all.

8. Spudboy

Spudboy Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Changes to Patreon

With the recent changes made at Patreon, I will be canceling all support via Patreon. Would it be possible to send money via PayPal™ each month? Thanks for any help.

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Or, even simpler than Paypal: a TA company bank / creditcard account. That would get me to donate/subscribe too (never bothered to setup a Patreon).
    @Eli: Hhmm, with the site/app revamp, will you add subscriptions via iTunes/Apple? I think you mentioned something about a subscription model somewhere, but it's a vague memory so I can't find it anymore.

10. Spudboy

May 28, 2012
    Maybe

PopMoney or the new ApplePay Cash. Whatever has the lowest fees.

11. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Please try to cater more to the newer generation of mobile gamers. We are the ones who spend the money, baby whales.. We hate our life and we try to fill the void with meaningless distractions. Numbers don't lie on this one.

Before anyone goes nuts on me, I fully support premium games and I buy 95% of all newly released premium titles across all genres, and 99.9% of all newly released premium titles put out by well-known indie developers.

BUT, I mostly enjoy playing derivative FTP crap, it just 'makes me feel good', and I LOVE spending money on IAPS. Collectively, my crowd loves games that make us feel like less pieces of shit then we actually are in real life. We love free chests, timers, daily logins, all the crap.. There are a lot of 'gamers' out there like me.. We have plenty of money to blow, and we do daily. TA needs to capitalize on this crowd. TA should develop a game that has all the current trendy bells and whistles and is full of useless and disgusting IAPS. Make it a shooter, platformer, clicker, monster collector, whatever, just make it shiny and 'fun'. I would log in every day and buy an IAP if I knew the proceeds were supporting this site.

12. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Good one Mr. Clash.

13. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    That right there for me is high risk and quite polarising. It may as such be quite fruitful purely if the game were to be yet another FTP success. Say something like the next Hearthstone or something.

But, TA has been a haven for the more hardcore of iOS gamers who actually care about iOS gaming so much as to come here and sign up on the forum and start chatting away. For TA to then go and make the nemesis of those harder core gamers (a freemium game), could understandably be quite polarising. Should the game not be a success, let alone a massive flop, that point would be even more piercing. it would be a reason for those once faithful to believe they see no longer fit here.

Anyway, let's not get ahead of our own lunchtimes here. A TA game app is a cool idea. What they would select to do I don't know. A game dev story/tycoon game would be quite fitting don't you think!?

14. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Just remake the TA app for 64-bit and sell it at a reasonable price.

15. JohnnyClash

Mar 11, 2016
    Yep, the idea may be a bit opposed by hardcore gamers on this site. It is not an Us vs Them, in my eyes. It's just another possible form of revenue stream to reach a larger audience while still allowing this place to prosper for a diverse spectrum of gaming minded individuals.

But when TA votes games like Land Sliders for GOTY, I don't think the suggestion is too far fetched.

Truthfully, I would not expect to see them create a FTP game, my initial remarks were more tongue in cheek, half-truth satire. But it would be cool if they did :)

16. JohnnyClash

Mar 11, 2016
    This too!

17. Spudboy

May 28, 2012
    Patreon no more

I canceled all my Patreon donations. Hopefully, TA comes up with an alternative. I will miss watching the Podcast.