Sufficent Hardware For Development

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by PointOfLight, Feb 9, 2009.

1. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Sorry if this has been covered, but a search for "equipment" and "hardware" didn't really turn up anything appropriate. I'd love to get into iDevice development. I have an iPod Touch and a couple of development books, but being a Windows developer for the past 15 years I'm missing one vital component: a Mac. I don't really have the money to spend for one at all, but for the sake of argument I'm looking anyway. I was wondering if the 1.83 GHz Mac mini with 2 GB of ram would be sufficient for iDevice development. Initially I'll only be doing 2D games, but if I can make I go at this I might consider something like the Unity engine down the road. All input is greatly appreciated.

2. Schenk Studios

Schenk Studios Well-Known Member

As long as it's a mac with an Intel heart and it's running Leopard (10.5.x) you're good to go. That mini will work just fine.

3. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks for the quick response. Now I just have to convince my wife to let me buy one :eek:

4. Shroomies

Shroomies Member

Jan 16, 2009
    When we first started out with iPhone apps, we used a MacBook with 2.0 GHz and 1 GB RAM and it was fine. I believe as long as it has an Intel CPU, that Mac mini will be fine.

5. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    It definitely has an Intel CPU, so it looks like that's probably what I'll be going for. Thanks for the input everyone!