iPhone Suburbia for iPad (City-Building Board Game)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jmaher, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    I had a bit of a multiplayer bug. I assume I was player 2 as my opponent got to pick before me. I couldn't move my map at all, and I had to click on his name then go back to my tiles to even get the chance to place. I also couldn't see what my secret goal was. I built a ton of residential and of course my goal was to build the least residential. I think I would have struggled to beat his first turn waterfront property regardless

2. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Finally won my first game as easy.

BTW, I don't seem to see the end game tile. Did I miss it or what?

3. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    There isn't one in the campaign. You finish when the tiles run out

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Just completed and won my first game vs. the Shelly AI, so not tapping stuff up in the Real Estate Market appears to do the trick.

Something that was made apparent to me for the first time, when you place a tile stating something like "+$2 for each home tile", that bonus is added every time you add another home tile in the future as well. So even if you don't have a setup to get the full benefit of such a bonus granting tile when you initially place it, you can still place tiles in the future to take advantage of that specific bonus.

Lastly, as a newbie player, I loved that one of the game's goals was to end the match with the least amount of money on hand. Since I never could setup that viable an economy to begin with, making sure I had less cash than my opponent at the end was a piece of cake. My game vs. Shelly was pretty close but I managed to just eek out a win by focusing on my private bonus objective (most housing tiles) and ending the game with the least cash. :)

5. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    No games in progress can be viewed after your turn. That hurts a lot. Is there any reason why positions for games in progress cannot be seen? This should be implemented ASAP.

6. jmaher

jmaher Active Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Papillion, NE
    Suburbia 1.0.1 Update Now Available

We are happy to announce that the Suburbia for iPad 1.0.1 update is now available on the App Store:
    http://bit.ly/1j0G5gt

This update contains a number of bug fixes for issues identified since the initial release last week, and is recommended for all users. After installing the update, please restart your device.

This version does not include any new content or functionality.

Thanks for your continued support!

7. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    How about posting like this?

What's New in Version 1.0.1

This critical update fixes many issues that players have reported.

Changes:
    • Renamed "Pass-and-Play" Main Menu option to "Local Play" (since this mode also includes play against Computer opponents)

Bug Fixes:
    • Resolved issue with Flip and Zoom buttons that rendered Computer players unable to play
    • Resolved issue with "Unable to Discard" alert that prematurely ended Pass-and-Play games
    • Resolved issue where double-tapping Private Goals moved them off the screen
    • Resolved issue that allowed human players to move tiles just before a Computer turn
    • Resolved issue with discarding a tile after placing an Investment Marker
    • Resolved issue with discarding a tile while another player's board was visible (tiles can now only be discarded when your own board is visible)
    • Resolved issue that allowed market tiles to be moved during discard process after switching to view another player and then switching back to your tiles
    • Resolved issue where flipping one tile to a lake and then placing a different tile resulted in incorrect stat changes
    • Resolved issue where "i" button was shown after viewing another player's board during discard process (and subsequent Save or Quit would fail)

8. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Thank You for the quick update jmaher.:)

9. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I am not very much worried about the crash bug for now. I am wondering, how do I find a MP opponent? I go to host a game but I have zero idea who in the list have the game from who do not. I think some work could be done here.

Noob questions:
    1. do you use the "2x" card often? Does it play a strong strategic role? How much does one of such cost?
    2. I have the money in the bank, say $10, but I cannot buy a $7 tile from the Real Estate market, why?

10. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Very curious about this one. Going to take earlier than expected.

11. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Best to do that directly from GC. I'll play but 3-4 players is optimal.

12. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    #52 ojtitus, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    1. I normally use it once a game and it can play a strong strategic role. It doubles the effect of any tile you lay it on, so you have to pay the tiles value again.

2. Are you taking into consideration where the tile is on the market? You do see the farther the tile is to the left on the market place there is a higher value added onto the cost of the tile, only the two tiles to the farthest right are the actual face value of the tile. All the others to the left of those two have a +$X value.

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    1) I've averaged using the 2x about 1.5 times a game. It costs whatever the face value is on the tile it's applied to. Realize it can be a bit tricky since, while you're doubling the positive effects, you're also doubling the potential nasty side effects (like the "-1 reputation per adjacent housing tile"). My general rule of thumb has been to use it for stuff I have already fully or nearly fully taken advantage of (like a "+2 per business tile" effect when I've already LOADED my burb with boatloads of businesses.

2) Just as Ojtitus stated, unless grabbing a tile from the final two spaces on the far left, there is an additional service fee to be paid which goes up the further right you go. A painful but clever mechanic that allows those with the extra cash on hand to swoop in an snag some highly prized tiles from the competition.

Here's a question for the pros:
    When grabbing a tile to become a lake, am I able to just take ANY tile in the market for free (i.e. a free way to DENY an opponent some key tile that I possibly couldn't use or afford)?

14. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    From what I've seen in reviews, no. You still have to pay the position cost of the tile. This is the same for picking up a stock tile (Suburb etc), you must discard an existing tile in the row and pay its position cost. This is an alternate way to deny your opponent a tile.

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Makes more sense, no freebies.

16. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I check last night and the update does not fix that AI. The game still behaves oddly, but the "balanced" AI I tested run fine (and I lost)

I thought the AI were placing tile on the same board as I do but turns out we are building our own city...

17. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    What weird stuff is the AI doing?

18. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I see 2 boards showing up overlapping each other, there is no button telling it is my or AI's turn, and once, the board goes blank... The other "AI" personality behaves normal. I have patched it up to 1.0.1

19. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Oh man, this game is just chock full of bugs. I just tried playing mp with LordGek and the tiles in the real estate market were not being replaced with new ones, leaving gaps... add to this lockups in local mode, one lockup in async experienced by LordGek and it sums up to a tragic situation because the original game is just fantastic.

20. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Same here. very, very disappointed. We had a tournament scheduled on the Pocket Tactics forum which will now be abandoned. The game is a mess.

jmaher, I hope you are reading.