iPhone Suburbia for iPad (City-Building Board Game)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jmaher, Dec 12, 2013.

1. jmaher

jmaher Active Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Papillion, NE
    For those of you wondering about viewing other players' tiles, just tap on your name at the top right of the screen.

2. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Installed size?

3. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    56.4 mb

4. bungho

bungho Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I know it's been mentioned, but wow, the ui & presentation are incredibly well done. I have almost every iOS board game & this is one of the best conversions. Like most tutorials, it demonstrates the mechanics of the game, but none of the strategy. Thats where the forums at BGG come in. Really looking forward to getting into this.

5. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Played another game of pass and play with the AI Ted and made it to round 12 then the AI froze and wouldn't make a move. I could still access the move log and info button, so the game wasn't froze like I thought before.

6. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    All the comments about the game freezing up are preventing me from hitting the buy button.

7. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    #27 ojtitus, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    The single player campaign and online multiplayer seem to be working fine and the dev has been here and said they are working on a fix for the pass and play. So I would not be too hesitant to buy this, in fact I still would have bought this even if I knew ahead of time I was going to have this problem. I am confident the developer will fix the pass and play and this will be one of my top 5 favorite board games on iOS.

8. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Thanks for that! I clicked a bunch of places but not there.

I just finished a game against the Doug AI without a crash. Still no crashes so far

9. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Thanks LordGek! As always you are an asset! I may have to grab this later today! I'm a sucker for boardgames!

10. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Still struggling to finish my first solo game -- stupid enough to forgot to link the last university!

No crash so far -- last iOS7, 3rd gen iPad 32GB

11. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Thanks for the encouragement but I'll wait and see how it turns out after the update.

12. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    If Quarriors was not coming out next week, I would probably be all over this.

13. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Quarriors does not sound like a gigantic app like Space Hulk, so what is stopping you?

14. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I've been burnt far too often on update promises so I'm going to wait for multiple confirmations that the app, async mp in particular, is working as intended before diving in.

15. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #35 LordGek, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    Possible Workaround to Pass n Play vs. AI crashes!

Hey Gang!

As the dev himself stated on one of the BGG threads on the game, there is a workaround, somewhat, to the crashing in Pass n Play!

As best I understand it, NEVER click on the "Zoom" or "Flip" functions of a tile while still in the real estate market queue. You can zoom and flip the tile once you've dragged it out onto the field but if you do so in the real estate market queue, the AI will hang its next turn.

While I'm willing to accept this might be a viable workaround, it does make me nervous as I can totally see myself forgetting this rule at some random point in the game as I absentmindedly click on a market tile at some point in the middle of the game (especially since the effects of such a misstep seem so delayed).

So while not an ideal workaround, it might do until the fix drops (I can only assume it has already been submitted but who knows if it has a chance in heck of beating the less than a week away deadline of the AppStore holiday closure).

16. Mycroft

Mycroft Active Member

Jan 17, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Thanks for stopping by, that, along with "Asynchronous turn-based Online Multiplayer", clinches it for me, buying it now. :)

17. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Thanks for the heads up on what is causing the AI to get get stuck. Fingers crossed for a quick update.

18. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    im finding it a tough game to play, i had a look at the manual and played the tutrioal but i just cant seem to crack level 1 of the campaign i seem to either run out of money or not enough people....

19. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I love the concept of the design but, yeah, it isn't easy so far to get everything in balance.

What took me a bit to get down are two of the game's big concepts (not that I'm any good yet, but at least I understand these mechanics):

1) Population in game can grow in two ways, either by directly adding some sort of housing or by having a positive reputation (in which case your current reputation is value is added to your population).

2) Crossing the red lines in the population meter lowers both your borough's income and reputation (-1 for each line crossed).

So while your end score is based on you population, growing to quickly will hose your income per turn and send you into a nasty death spiral.

What this also means to me is beyond always trying to maximize my income, I need to not only pay very close attention to my population but my reputation as well. Having a great reputation, when not ready for the resulting population, can hose you as badly as just adding some big housing tile.

20. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    I've played a few games, although I'm still being beaten by the AI. I try to increase my income early on with industry or commerce, or lakes if I need to. I keep a low reputation, though I've found a negative reputation to be really to hard to recover from. In the mid game my economy should be sustaining itself so I push reputation so it is constantly building more population.

It's hardly a thorough or world beating strategy but it's the base I'm building from right now. I feel like I'm getting my head around what my options are when they come up, and I don't feel swamped like I did when I started