Universal Submerged: Miku and the Sunken City (By Uppercut Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Something good again from Uppercut, just like both Epochs :)
    But ... No Air1 support? Weird. My benchmark app Brightridge still runs fine on my Air1, and only crashes when I turn all bells and whistles on.
    Hhmm... just took a look at the Upcoming thread for Submerged. Air1 does support Metal, so that's not it. I wonder if it's performance issues with Unreal Engine that Unity doesn't have?

@UppercutEd: Mind shedding some light on why you don't support the Air1? I assume you did test if it runs at all?

Looks like I have to wait till I upgrade then...

Offtopic:
    And very much seconding Breinstein's recommendation of Brightridge. Best experience currently available on iOS, if you like exploring, walking around and enjoying the landscape. I completed the quest mode already for testing, had some absolutely marvelous scenes in it.

2. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Like I said earlier, this does work on an ipad air 1, and runs really fast at that. Only problem is there's a minute or so of loading and a snap-back to the home screen, but once the game's loaded it plays beautifully. Don't see why they can't fix the problem and welcome Ipad Airs the First to the fold.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Thank you... Bought.

Uppercut Games is still one of my favorite devs, and EPOCH. titles are some of my favorite games on iOS ever.

4. sinagog

Aug 15, 2014
    Oh crap, April 1st was months ago. My bad. :eek: Hope apple let you have that refund. ;) ;) ;) You'll love it!

5. sinagog

Aug 15, 2014
    This actually does have some major Brightridge vibes. Especially how when you stumble across some interesting vista, like a half-sunken statue or an old factory, the camera pans out and you get to gawp at it for awhile before you move on.

6. sinagog

Aug 15, 2014
    By the way, when it does the snap back thing, don't close the app and restart. Just click on the icon again (or do that double-click on the home button thing and scroll back to the still open app). The ocean sounds should get louder and then it properly loads a few seconds later.

7. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    #67 Derprozess, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    iPad Air not supported, I've just find out. Post deleted.

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Ah, I missed that, thanks a lot!
    And that's sounds very familiar. I remember Brightridge having similar issues, memory-related if I remember right.
    Just to be on the safe side, I'll wait for Uppercut/Ed to reply before I take the plunge.

9. ShelvsHotPencil

ShelvsHotPencil Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Mesh, I will pass- no combat

10. It says that in the app description.

11. sinagog

Aug 15, 2014
    It says a lot about the lack of creative variety in a lot of games that this even requires a 'No combat! warning.

12. UppercutEd

UppercutEd Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    So it's all about quality and performance, and you can't easily compare the two games: different engines, pushing different boundaries, etc.

We did indeed test on an Air 1 (and other older devices) and while it runs, it didn't run at a framerate that was consistently good enough for us. And that's not just a visual thing - when you get framerate drops, the controls no longer work the way they should and the game becomes annoyingly difficult to turn/steer.

So in the end, we just had to say it's not supported. Doesn't mean you can't run it, but the experience will be compromised and we didn't want people to be disappointed with their purchase.

13. gamer777

gamer777 New Member

Sep 8, 2016
    I just download this game 5 minute now im going to delete it i like it and not like it this game need joystick and good map

14. henrycupcake

henrycupcake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2015

How about adding MFI control and iCloud support
    Perhaps release on tvOS ?!

15. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Ed: Thanks a lot for providing more insight.
    Together with Sinagog's comment that it runs fine on an Air1, I'll go ahead anyways.
    Will report back how it plays.

16. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    game is good but they really need to fix controls..

17. DenzilofDojima

Sep 20, 2013
    United Kingdom
    #77 DenzilofDojima, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    I have nothing against games that want to offer a "non-challenging experience" but in the case of Submerged that experience is so dull and so thoroughly lacking in moment to moment engagement that simply playing eventually becomes a chore despite its short length. You will climb buildings and look through telescopes, then you will go climb another building, rinse and repeat (the less said about the boating the better). Incredibly the game manages to make the climbing feel even less dangerous or challenging than the kind of "easy climbing" popularized by games like Uncharted or Assassins Creed. It's just so boring but it is quite pretty in places.

Like Eisenhorn before it, a mediocre 3rd person adventure game on PC /Console is still a mediocre 3rd person game on phones/tablets (arguably worse given the graphical downgrade and touch controls). They shouldn't get a pass or any higher praise just because of the hardware they're running on.

18. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Fun game, spent a bit of time in and no serious game breaking complaints so far.

I would like to say that while I respect the developers decision regarding the control mechanics, I do feel that this game would benefit from analog / mifi controller support.

Last thing, why are some folks complaining about a lack of a map? There is one in game, it opens up as you explore...

19. Thorster

Thorster Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Germany
    I like it

No matter what so called experts say: I honestly like it. Yes, there could be enhancements and there could be more of this and there could be more of that but in the end you get an visually stunning puzzler that keeps you playing.

I don't ask for much more.