Universal Submerged: Miku and the Sunken City (By Uppercut Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Sep 7, 2016.

1. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    #41 redribbon, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    no, i can confirm this. one letdown for me, since i like the game on the console, but the control here on touch screen is really uncomfortable for me. i have no complained with the watered down graphics but unreal engine is really inefficient when it comes to optimization on mobile compared to unity. once again, i dont mind with no mfi support but please give us the floating joystick option at least, also please, please, turn off the auto climb and down its really annoying.

overall i still like the game but its not enjoyable as on console due to controls and framerate issue.

ps. oh about the battery drain. im on 6s plus and my battery goes down from 38% to 20%(warning pop up) in 14minutes.

ps2. if you want to make it fully swiping to move then please consider my suggestion here:
    1. swipe and hold to move when facing the wall to move left or right. if player lift the finger then the movement will stop.
    2. divide the controls layout into two part on the screen, left part is to move, right part to look around, so there is no visible UI on screen that will ruin the beautiful landscape(dead space style). adjust the control so when the player only swipe forward a little bit will make the character walk and any further will make her run.
    3. when facing the wall, swiping up(fast) will make the character climb if there is a rock or edge above her head.
    4. same control layout applied when driving a boat.

2. eufeion

eufeion Well-Known Member

May 10, 2016
    Really disappointed that the game does not support iPad Mini 2 or 3 when other higher graphical games that are recent do!

3. redribbon

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    i think they clearly stated on the description that the game does not supported on iPad Air 1st gen?

4. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014

Lol, I didn't read that. Once you get past that initial loading hiccup, the game works great.

5. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    maybe little lag but game work on ipad mini 2 and iphone 5S,i tested on mine...

6. RedThumb

RedThumb Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2016
    While contemplating if I should buy it or not, I noticed that it's not compatible with iPad Air 1
    This marks the first time EVER, that something does not run anymore on my device.

I feel old now ;-)

7. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Also Metacritic 3/5 stars for PS4/XBOX ONE, hardly disastrous..

8. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Terrible graphics? Your standards are unrealistically high lol..the game looks real good on my iPhone 6s plus.

9. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Yeah, the sun glistening in the sea like a thousand yellow diamonds is uggggggly.

10. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Bought it , more out of curiosity to see a game that plays only on iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro . The game looks very similar to its console version and saying that it has bad graphics is properstrous, though some people were saying that for eisenhorn too so....whatever . The experience is better on an iPad than it is on a console (or PC) , more intimate. Another positive is that it's less than 500mb installed . The controls are fine but lili was smoother , IMO . It's not like it controlled great with a joypad anyway .

11. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    When I read that the Air 2 was the minimum device I felt the same.... Not had a device that was the minimum spec for something since my old touch 3rd gen!

12. dalglir

dalglir Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Scotland
    I'm really enjoying this but it's clear that this is a bit of a 'Marmite' title.

The control scheme wasn't immediately intuitive (tap to toggle run/stop + floating d-pad) but intuitive enough to feel natural in fairly short order. The simple and largely floating control scheme makes it ideal for Apple TV play where the phone is the controller, as you won't find yourself constantly looking for fixed buttons.

Visually, thematically, great... As long as you remember it has been optimised for mobile. So: it's a little less shiny and a little rougher than the PC version on closer inspection (of course it is) but... I'm writing this as someone who grew up with a ZX Spectrum 48k so it all looks great to me :)

On the topic of 'Marmite': I love this game. It has all the wall climbing exploration aspects from Tomb Raider that I really enjoyed without any of the tedious combat (which I was never very good at). It's saturated with hidden stuff to find, a well paced story and back story, vehicle upgrades and all without the pressing need to do anything quickly. Ideal for dipping into or pootling about on all morning. I'm really digging the serene post apocalyptic vibe.

For certain, I'm looking forward to playing this tomorrow at the airport and during flight where I always worry that someone will overreact to bloodier and more violent titles (I'm looking at you, GTA San Andreas, Regicide, etc). This has a distinctly 'U' or 'PG' feel about it while still remaining engaging.

I've had a couple of crashes but the game auto saves regularly so it hasn't been problem, per se.

Overall: I've been on the fence to buy this for PC for some time but having it on mobile is a no brainer.

13. dalglir

dalglir Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Scotland
    Tap to stop climbing in any direction ;)

14. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Since most of you seem to like to wander in the surrounding and enjoy the relaxed gameplay , you also might enjoy Nimian Legends : BrightRidge HD (by Robert Kabwe) , it recently got a great quest mode upgrade. Maybe I should not talk about other games in a game thread , but I think Nimian Legens really deserves more attention

15. I actually noticed that update but my poor iPad didn't have enough room for it. Gaming woes! Didn't realize it was the one with the quests, so will make sure to free up some space for it.

16. Remote_

Remote_ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 26, 2011
    UK
    I love this, I really do. The exploration is simple but satisfying. The atmosphere overall, rather than just the graphics which are good, is lovely. Very evocative.

I'll be playing this to the end for sure as it has a charming vibe and plenty to see. Not exactly up there with Ico, but it certainly has that flavour.

Total battery killer though as plenty of other people have noted.

Running it on a 6S.

17. darrinsden

darrinsden Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Is iCloud support perhaps coming?

18. I asked yesterday and it sounds very unlikely. :(

19. redribbon

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    so agree with this, thats what im trying to say since the beginning. same game, different experience. oh finally somebody did notice that lili also share the same feel and atmosphere.

20. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran