Universal Submerged: Miku and the Sunken City (By Uppercut Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Sep 7, 2016.

1. mandrilo

mandrilo Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Game impressions

I played the pc version about half year ago. It was great. Exploring with little puzle and platforming. Gorgeous visuals. Nice characters. I recomend it a lot for those who love adventure-exploring games

2. lemessie

lemessie Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    I saw that too waiting for impressions...

3. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Even the game looks good... I'll be happy the day mobile games stopping like like mobile games.

4. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    no mfi support? im gonna try it now.

this. its a steal for a full console experience on mobile.

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Hey, what's the worst that could happen in trying out a $5 mobile port? The board becomes split like the Eisenhorn: Xenos thread? At least this is just 500 MBs and 5 bucks. :p

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I dig this. I personally have no issues with the controls and prefer them to a virtual joystick (or especially tap to move). Still too early to say if the game is great or not, but it's really easy to get into it and it does give off the same kind of vibes as Never Alone or Brothers. The game is less than 500 MBs installed and uses up significant battery (14 mins of play = 13% battery on my iPhone SE). Unfortunately I'm out of the house for most of the day so I can't play more today, but it's safe to say I'll be itching to get back home to play more and figure out which side of the spectrum I'm on. First impressions are definitely, definitely positive though.

7. mandrilo

mandrilo Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Oh my! The graphics are great (a little downgraded from pc but great as well) gameplay is the same...but, for my taste controls are horrible!! swiping for climb is a very similar gesture to the one used for moving the cam...so things can get messed up. Please uppercut games, for gods sake put a virtual pad option!!! : (

8. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    anyone try on 5S?

9. UppercutEd

UppercutEd Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Hi everyone, and thanks for your interest.

I'm going to go back through the previous posts and reply where I can :)

10. UppercutEd

Jul 11, 2011
    Thanks for the kind words.

Indeed, those games were inspirations for some of the ideas behind Submerged, as were Gone Home and Journey.

11. UppercutEd

Jul 11, 2011
    Sorry mate, the Unreal 4 engine is a hungry beast. We pushed it as far as we could onto older devices, but the 5s didn't make the cut.

12. UppercutEd

Jul 11, 2011
    I posted this on a previous Touch Arcade article, but I'll paste it here:

When we first released, the reviews were definitely polarised between people who loved or hated the game. It's not for everyone.

Honestly, you're better served finding someone whose opinion you trust and take their recommendation.

(For what it's worth, we're averaging 4.5/5 on Steam, 4/5 on PS4 and 3.5/5 on Xbox One. Take that as you will.)

13. UppercutEd

Jul 11, 2011
    Yep, that's true - the engine does use up a fair amount of battery and make the phone hot if you play for a while. It's nowhere near as greedy on the iPads.

You can play for short bursts - e.g. complete one objective and take a break - which goes some way towards ameliorating the issue.

14. UppercutEd

Jul 11, 2011
    There are those polarised opinions again :)

I am not a fan of virtual joysticks, for a variety of reasons, so we created the game without them. Our control scheme is somewhat unique (it's not unlike Lily, if you've ever played that), and designed to allow for single-hand playing by a more casual audience.

15. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    if game work on iphone 6 will also work on 5s,will try later on 5s and post results...

16. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Yeah, this is tailor-made for me (stalkers! ;) ). Boating through a drowned world, clocking lovely views and useful crates with your telescope, clambering over crumbling buildings, and slowly piecing together the story in dribs and drabs, it's lovely, in a melancholic kind of way! And these guys did Epoch 2 so they know their touch controls. They remind me of KOTOR as much ad Lili. They really have to automatically set the sensitivity much, much lower in the next update if they don't want to make new buyers squeamish, but once you've adjusted it yourself everything feels great. You never pine for dual-sticks, as this way the one-stick (which is your whole screen) serves the purpose of both, if you know what I mean. Great job, uppercut! After reading your state of the union address on premium gaming based on your experiences with Epoch 2, I really hope this does well for you. You already have an Editorial Note, which is usually the sign that you're in the rare inner sanctum of premium games that will be promoted for a long time to come on the appstore, so that bodes well for ya!

17. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    By the way, there are some loading issues on my ipad air. Upon first opening the app, it will invariably snap back to the home screen, and then eventually properly load once I click on it again.

18. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

So no MFi support right? That's still weird for me when the game's fully compatible with controlers on PC/Consoles.

19. ninyule

ninyule Member

Jul 17, 2012
    This game is jaw-droppingly bad. The graphics are terrible, it takes ages to load (iPad Air), if u make a wrong move it crashes, but the worst by far are the controls. It's like whoever programmed it never actually used it on an iPad!! Moving your finger generally makes the camera swing about like a drunk, you can never position the character where u want them, and swiping up for climb is just as likely to put u in camera mode!

Absolutely awful, no idea what TA is thinking in its intro...

20. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    He said it pretty clear does not work on 5s properly