iPad Strongholds (by Digital Worlds)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Apr 29, 2009.

1. lvillalt99

lvillalt99 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Just added my review on the iTunes Appstore.

This reminds me a little bit of KarmaStar (which I also own) in the play dynamics, and I like the short play time per game. I also like that the difficulty is low enough to quickly pick up and play.

The graphics are icing on the cake for me, plus they remind me of some of the old school Sierra games for the PC...

My best to the devs on a job well done. I look forward to the added difficulty levels (just don't lose the current one, it makes it easy to do quickplay)...

2. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    I enjoy this game, maybe because I like turn based strategy.
    However, it's definitely too easy so far. I haven't lost a single match yet, even from when I first started.
    Plus, there are limited options. If online play comes for this, I'll be happy.
    Similarly, difficulty levels or other types of animations would also be pretty sweet.
    Rock on, Devs!

3. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I definitely feel it should be the stronghold strength and not based upon hogging resources. Sitting around doing nothing in order to stack resources sounds boring. An option to increase the requires stronghold strength for a nuke would be nice.

4. Ashenebal

Ashenebal Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2009
    iOs Team Lead
    Moscow, Russia
    I think we'll try to make a few options to choose from.

5. deckard

deckard Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Having trouble getting into this one. It seems like just a card game with graphics. A little more eye candy would do wonders as there isn't nearly as much animation as you're led to believe. How about a couple soldiers milling about, workers stacking goods, actual animated volleys of bombs, maybe some damage modeling and other such things. The simple 'shot across the bow' animation that encompasses everything isn't too impressive. Water looks fab though, nice job there.

6. Ashenebal

Apr 29, 2009
    iOs Team Lead
    Moscow, Russia

The game already has a complex multilevel model of damage of the main and auxiliary buildings! :confused:
    5 weeks, 10 hours a day, our artist carefully painted each element, because we wanted to make a memorable game, different from the majority of those who submitted to the appstore.
    Animation for the entire battle is draw by hand and contains shots from machine guns in perimeter, shots from machine guns in stronghold if exists, shots from the main gun as well as animation hit by random points. Why is everything always want more and do not notice that we have already done much more than many competitors? This is so sad :(. Especially with the app price $.99.
    But we will respect your wishes. Thanks.
    PS: Sorry for my bad english.

7. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    #107 DaveMc99, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
    I noticed. :) I bought your game over your competitors because of the animations and graphics.

8. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I appreciate the graphical style of the game. I like how the building deform/upgrade, it gives a sense of power/misery. The only graphical issue I can think of is when playing cards, the animations aren't as 'full' as I'd like them to be. Like when I used the rocket launcher card, machine guns fire and do the damage, not a rocket. This is fine though, it doesn't really bother me and I understand it would take a lot of time to program the graphics for each attack there is.
    I'm really enjoying the game though, as far as upping the base maximum (to launch nuke), I think it's ok where it is. I've played some games that last up to 15 minutes, some that are as quick as 3. I would love an option to change the settings though (ie have the base reach 100 before nuke launching) so I can literally make the game longer if I wanted to play longer.

Also, how are the high scores formulated? It just seems like I get a random number from 3000-5000 whenever I win, doesn't really seem to be anything consistent. Maybe an in-game score display would make sense of it.
    I'm really enjoying the game though, it'd be great to play on internet multiplayer.

9. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Personally, I love the graphics style of the game. And I noticed all the damage to the buildings (I've played like 15 games of it, sometimes just trying to make the game last as long as possible). I love the game, and even though I only paid a dollar for it, I think it's definitely worth at least 3.

Only things I would change, some of which has been mentioned:
    -Online Multiplayer/Hot Seat Multiplayer
    -Longer battles (Only because I love this game so much, and don't want to have to play new matches all the time :p )
    -Some way to see what affects score. I'd like to know why, sometimes, I get 5000 points, when other times, while winning the same way, I get 3000.
    -How about a match with 4 competitors?
    -----Cards could either A)Affect all enemies, or B)You could choose which enemy they affect.
    -----You'd have to increase the Stronghold's starting strength and ending victory strength in order to make the battle last long enough (to protect from dying before getting a turn and so forth), but you said that that was something you were considering adding to the options anyway.
    -----It would make for longer battles, as killing 3/surviving 3 enemies is a lot tougher than 1.
    -----It would ramp up the difficulty, for those having an easy time with the game.
    -----Yeah, it would mean having a lot more graphics to work on and such, and I know that means it would be a long way away, but it'd be amazing to see 4 bases on the screen fighting it out.

This game is amazing, and don't let people saying otherwise put you down. It's obvious that a lot of work went into it.

10. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I agree, the animation is really really good, and the art is very impressive as well. It was a big plus for me, it got me interested. The art style kind of reminds me of Red Alert 2, and with both games being war-themed, that works out quite well, I think.

I have fun playing it, and it's always a surprise which cards you get. As I play it more, I start to understand the different cards and will sometimes wait for a certain one to pop up, deepening my strategies. Sometimes I will rush to build my Stronghold, sometimes I will try to upgrade my resource-producing factories and such, and sometimes I will upgrade to above 50 points of my Stronghold, then to use all of my resources to crush the enemy without the use of a nuke. So satisfying. :)

11. deckard

deckard Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    My mistake, sorry about that, damage modeling is in there; I was just rattling off too quickly. Main thing is I'd just like to see a more accurate representation of what's going on, aka you send some bombs over and literally see some bombs drop. Main point was it just 'feels' like just machine gun fire covers all attacks. Closest comparison I can come up with off the top of my head is the classic Battle Chess where the gameplay was just chess but the big payoff was intricately animated battles which is really the whole reason it was so successful at the time.

I'll spend more time with Strongholds and see if it grows on me (do hope you fix the aforementioned card inaccuracies soon as they always catch me off guard when they come up).

12. Leadfoot5

Leadfoot5 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Took the plunge today, primarily due to the developer activity on this thread... :) Looking forward to playing...

13. Ashenebal

Apr 29, 2009
    iOs Team Lead
    Moscow, Russia
    #113 Ashenebal, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
    The calculation is based on a formula which includes: the past and the resulting damage, all the construction, all received and used resources. Then all of this is multiplied by the various modifiers, and divided by the number of played cards. In the upgrade, we will change formula and make the process more understandable and clear.

Thank you all for the feedback, its very helpful in the work!

Im on vacation this week, but maintained contact with my team and bring to they your wishes and ideas. The guys are working on update, as well as on our second game.
    And I even announce to you the exclusive news: it will be a 3D action arcade, with an interesting history and a very intense gameplay.
    In addition, we will continue to actively work on the first game, and try to make a multiplayer version asap.

14. friendlytoaster

friendlytoaster Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Programmer
    Chicago
    Just grabbed the game, little confusing at first (mostly figuring out what all the icons are). I enjoy the game, and am I looking forward to future updates.

Also, got a minor complaint, I'm finding the text on the main menu could be easier to read, blends into the background too much.

15. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Speaking of the icons, I do agree I have to take a second to think what goes to what. The icons are there for the things that are developed within each auxiliary building, but the icons for the building aren't and sometimes I find myself using a card that I think will upgrade one building, but it does another because of not remember correctly. Is there some way you could put the icon of the building somewhere near the building, just how the component of each building is?

16. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I think color would help too -- red icon goes with red icon on building, etc...

17. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Yea, anything would help really. The factory icon is obvious, but sometimes I get the barracks and the armory icons confused with each other.

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    The buildings look like the icons

Armory has missiles in a large rack
    Factory has twin smokestacks
    Barracks has a large flag, is a large tent, and has soldiers in front of it

I just think that the features aren't as noticeable as they could be. Armory could have a missile turret that rotates slightly, The smokestacks on the Factory could be larger or have smoke coming out of them, The Barracks could have a larger flag that moves.

Of course I realize that would be a lot of work to do so the having badges near the left side of the buildings level might help those that just need a quick reference

19. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    I'm sure I'll come to memorize them soon enough, but like you said, they would be great for a quick reference.

Ah I just noticed he said he's on vacation. I wonder if that means he won't be on the forums for a week too?

20. Ashenebal

Apr 29, 2009
    iOs Team Lead
    Moscow, Russia
    No, it means that I am on vacation but still working)