iPad Strongholds (by Digital Worlds)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Ashenebal

Ashenebal Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2009
    iOs Team Lead
    Moscow, Russia
  2. Quorlan

Quorlan Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    I have to say, initially I was unimpressed with Strongholds but could tell there was something there, it was just a matter of figuring everything out and really learning how the game worked. So, now after playing sporadically for the past month and then having the lights go on over the past weekend and playing endlessly, I have to say, Strongholds is a pretty impressive turn-based strategy game. I love how the game plays. There are only a couple of things I would like to see added or changed. Primary among them is....

1) DECK CUSTOMIZATION.
    A game as wonderfully strategic and playable as this one would only benefit from adding the ability to create a custom deck of cards for use in the game. Let me see of the cards the game has to offer and choose which ones to make up my deck. This bring a whole new element to the game and gives players the opportunity to really sink their teeth in strategically.

2) MULTIPLAYER options
    Was happy to see the addition of multiplayer in the 1.7 update, but c'mon guys. Bluetooth only for multiplayer? The game is already a battery drainer with all the animations and touch activity (playing for about an hour drained almost 20% of my battery), but turning on bluetooth on top of that just compounds the problem. I'd love to see online multiplayer where there is a centralized "hub" where you can find other players from around the Internets to compete against, but if that's too complex basic WiFi multiplayer would suffice. IMHO not nearly enough strategy games on this platform offer Internet based multiplayer capabilities, which is where most strategy games can really shine!

All in all, an absolutely wonderful strategy game and I highly recommend it to anyone who like turn based strategy or card battle type games (another sub-genre in which the iPhone is sorely lacking!)

Q

3. INCyr

INCyr Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I agree. This game would instantly rocket to the top of my play-list if there was the ability to customize your deck. Plus that'd give you the ability (hopefully) to play against your customized decks as well, for a little variety.

4. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Unfortunately, as this game is rather old in App Store days and has not been generating much revenue for the dev, I would guess deck customization will not occur for this version of Strongholds. I could be wrong though - Ash, has the free version helped this to sell any more? I personally still love the game as is, and it's had a place on my Iphone since it came out.

5. Bochu

Bochu Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    #506 Bochu, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
    Bought it

I got the lite version and only found out about this game because it was mentioned in a different forum about card games on the iPhone. I can't believe I never heard of it...

Anyways, I enjoyed the lite version, read this forum, and decided that $1.99 is not much considering how much the developer seems to be interacting and implementing. I bought it to support the game. Cheers.

UPDATE: Now that I bought the full game, I'm pretty disappointed. What's the difference between the full and the lite? Not much it seems. In order for this game to be worth anything, I think some kind of reward has to be given after each battle. Is it too hard to award cash and use that cash to buy more "cards"? I think it's better to start with a small number of cards, battle to buy more cards, and have the enemy start with few cards and eventually have the full set plus start off much stronger than the player. The way the game is now for me, there really is no reason to play it more than once.

6. Ashenebal

Apr 29, 2009
    iOs Team Lead
    Moscow, Russia
    Our new game is out!

We will release patch v1.8 for Strongholds next month.

1.8 possible patch notes:

- fixes
    - new cards
    - achievements

7. Ashenebal

Apr 29, 2009
    iOs Team Lead
    Moscow, Russia
    Upcoming patch 1.8:

- new "snow" location skin
    - Open feint support
    - Achievements
    - new cards

[​IMG]

jan 2010

8. Ashenebal

Apr 29, 2009
    iOs Team Lead
    Moscow, Russia
    Strongholds v1.8 submitted and waiting for approve.

9. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Hi Ash,

What new cards are in v1.8?

10. Ashenebal

Apr 29, 2009
    iOs Team Lead
    Moscow, Russia
    1.8 comes without new cards.

We can bring new cards in 1.9 (shortly), but only if players offer us versions of these cards that will go under the game mechanics without alterations and do not spoil the balance.

Feel free to write me your offers.

11. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    The Snow level will make the explosions look Spectacular :)

Is this also for the lite version? :eek:

12. Ashenebal

Apr 29, 2009
    iOs Team Lead
    Moscow, Russia
    Good question. I don't remember. :D

Lite version update also submitted, btw.

In 1.9 we can make switcher between snow\grass fields, i think.

Btw, we thinking about new game with Strongholds mechanics, but in fantasy setting and with many new options to fight.
    Maybe iPad only.
    What do you all think about this?

13. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld

a fantasy setting sounds really neat, but don't make it just for the iPad

14. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    My thoughts exactly.

15. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Looks like v1.9 just came out

What's new

- added switcher between maps (in options)
    - leaderboards in OpenFeint
    - Fixes

16. Ashenebal

Apr 29, 2009
    iOs Team Lead
    Moscow, Russia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Strongholds: New Age (iPad version), tactical card game.

- full 3D with stunning visuals and fx
    - task system (game levels) with unlockable new levels, locations, cards.
    - 95% of visuals reworked
    - new multiplayer options (via wifi\bt\other)
    - new cards
    - 6 language localization (eng, de, fr, it, rus, esp)
    - many new other features

Work in progress.
    ETA - October 2010.

We thinking about "deck customization" you asked. If someone can describe how it works?

17. Arnoud

Arnoud Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Still playing this almost daily. Perfect game for when you have just a few minutes. I suppose there is no way we will get a 64-bit version that will work with iOS 11 # Any equivalent card-based short strategy games with high replay value?

18. Ashenebal

Apr 29, 2009
    iOs Team Lead
    Moscow, Russia
    Thank you for playing our game all this years!
    Unfortunately our company - DW, was closed at 2014 due to operational costs.
    No further updates is possible.