iPad Strongholds (by Digital Worlds)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Apr 29, 2009.

1. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

2. Ashenebal

Ashenebal Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2009
    iOs Team Lead
    Moscow, Russia
    Little mistake: Not "build your resources to 60" but "build your stronghold to 60"

About AI: we planning to improve it, but now its a huge "luck" factor in game.
    About 10 sec. loading - plz, reboot your iPhone once before playing. On my developers 3G its ±6 sec.
    About other cons.: We reading all reviews and will change some things in later builds.

Thanks to all customers.
    Ash,
    iDiWo lead.

3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I edited my last post. I forgot to mention that I was playing on a first gen iphone which has a slower processor than the 3g and 2nd gen itouch

4. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Thanks Carlos for those first impressions. Enough to provide me with the option to make an informed purchase.
    Unfortunately, Ashenebal has confirmed it's all about luck at the moment which is enough of a turn-off for a strategy game IMO.
    I guess I'll have to pass for now, but I'll keep my eye on this game and future updates. The game does look really nice though... :)

5. idespair

idespair Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    If you get your stronghold to 60, then you fire off a nuke at the enemy and win.

I'd echo the other comments here. I won my first game by using whatever cards were available with little regard to what they did, and then won games two and three after checking the help section to find out how I was meant to be playing. There's the core of a good game here - the presentation is lovely, and the system is fun. What it lacks is some structure.

Without the ability to customise your own deck and build a play style, you're at the mercy of the cards, yet it rarely feels like you're forced into a corner. In my second game I had six turns of having to discard a card due to being unable to play anything, yet I still won without too much trouble. If I'd designed the deck, I would have only had myself to blame - equally, the computer should have been able to take advantage of that and wipe me from existence.

Basically (and I hate to force a comparison), this needs a campaign mode along the lines of Orions. I really want to like it, and I really want to play it, but there's sadly just not a lot there to actually play.

I feel like I'm damning it with faint praise, as if no-one buys it, it'll never be updated.

6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    #26 VeganTnT, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
    hmm, I guess I'm in the minority that enjoys the cards the way they are.

It reminds me of a board game like Battleship. Open it up, set up the board, and just play. It involves some skill and some luck, that's why it's fun.

Why does it need a campaign mode or another 100 cards that will end up being filler (the reason I hated Orion)?

7. idespair

Oct 15, 2008
    #27 idespair, Apr 29, 2009
    I wouldn't say it necessarily needs more cards, but it does need the ability to draw from a smaller selection of your own choice. At the moment there is little to no strategy, so whilst being a fun diversion there's little point to it. A campaign mode would provide a framework to build the game around, but even a little more choice in deck building coupled with better AI would be an improvement.

8. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    You hate Orions because it has a campaign mode? You do realise that it also has a duel mode, with three different AI settings? Grated, I'd love the duel mode to have more options, but it seems a bit harsh to hate a game for having a game play mode that you are in no way forced to play; it's not like you have to unlock cards/options via the campaign mode. Everything for the duel mode is available from the off.

9. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    #29 Carlos-Sz, Apr 29, 2009
    @ idespair:

Thank you for the bomb explanation.

@ all:

One more word.

I like the game concept. It's simple. Random cards is nice and there's a strategic touch when you consider that you need buildings and credits in order to properly use them.

Maybe a harder AI is what it is missing.

However, the game itself feels right for a quick play, feels right for those that don't want a complex game.

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    oh man, I rewrote that post twice cause I thought it sounded harsh.

The reason I hated Orion was all the cards that were filler, NOT the campaign mode. When I played I ended up using the same cards all the time.

Sorry about the confusion, I'll edit the original post now.

11. Ashenebal

Apr 29, 2009
    iOs Team Lead
    Moscow, Russia
    Its not "all about luck", its like an any other card game requires some luck, but some strategy mind requires too.

PS: sorry about my bad english ^^

12. Ashenebal

Apr 29, 2009
    iOs Team Lead
    Moscow, Russia
    #32 Ashenebal, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
    I dont think what campaign mode is strongly needed here. It will be other game with campaign mode...

About your last phrase - sad, but true, if no-one buys it, it will never be updated and no other games will be developed. Damned crisis. :(

13. Ashenebal

Apr 29, 2009
    iOs Team Lead
    Moscow, Russia
    When i think about feature of this game, i see two things:
    1) Maybe some "contest" game modes, like a "gather xxx resources" or "time run"
    2) Some AI improvements
    3) And (if we sell enough for this) ... Multiplayer (worldwide, with server lobby)!
    :rolleyes:

14. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I agree.

Please, just add simple statistics to your list (winnings/losses).

15. Ashenebal

Apr 29, 2009
    iOs Team Lead
    Moscow, Russia
    Yeah, this will be in 1st update!

16. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    My biggest problem that I've read here so far is "only one scenario". For $3 I want some variety!

I'll wait for either a full campaign or multiplayer. =)

17. idespair

Oct 15, 2008
    It's a good idea, well implemented. It's just that like many other games that make their way to the store there's not a whole lot of it at the moment. I hope enough other people decide to give it a go, so that the authors can continue to work on it.

Congrats Ashenebal - for all my criticism, I think you've come up with a good game.

18. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    This is really similar to that online flash game, castlewars, which I love. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to turn off the introduction music, which is always a bloody annoying oversight of any app. Note to ALL DEVELOPERS; Have the option to completely mute the app, preferably from settings.

19. Ashenebal

Apr 29, 2009
    iOs Team Lead
    Moscow, Russia
    In next patch we will mute intro forever =)

20. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    will it be an option? Cause I like the intro