Universal Strike Wing: Raptor Rising - (by Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Yeah, this game is fun. It is simple in a way that it is kind of just dogfighting, but it does it quite well.

The graphics on my ipad 3 are quite nice, and the controls are really well done. It is rare in a space fighter that I feel the controls good, but this one handles really well, not too loose or not to sensitive.

It is kind of like playing a Star Wars dogfighting arcade game. For 99 cents, I find it alot of fun, and would encourage others to try it. At first, it may seem simple, but having played abit, it has an addictive flavor to the game, and both the graphics and controls are a delight.

Highly recommended!

2. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Ships feel good, sound good, and blow up good. I feel that the game itself lacks something though. Maybe an arrival phase and comms. Stuff to make it feel more alive.

Can you guys add like a zero or two to the scores and credit rewards/ship costs? I like seeing big numbers on my completion screen. 8D The 99999 syndrome.

3. Vaipa

Vaipa Well-Known Member

May 19, 2013
    Game designer - Dream Builder Studios

We tried to be as western and "classic" as possible. A japanese mode never occured to us, but it's an idea. :D:D:D

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Finally got this, i think for a Rogue Squadron type of game (Funnily enough one of the packs you can get is called Rogue Squadron) its great. Amazing how its a small filesize

Hopefully it wont get 'samey' but so far really enjoying it, like the fact its quite easy to shoot the enemy (as long as you the enemy is in that big circle the bullets lock onto it)

So far so good, well worth a dollar

5. The Gamer Dude

The Gamer Dude Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    #45 The Gamer Dude, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    Really enjoying this, the combat feels perfect very fluid and the graphics are top notch. I haven't played much but I can tell I'm really going to like this)

Now all you guys have to do is add features and content for staying power and you will have something special. I'd love to have a privateer, wing commander type game built around this combat model, but Rome wasn't built in a day was it ;)

Well worth the measily buck already and I hope you guys get some traction on this release. I'll be leaving a review on the App Store after I've properly checked it out.

Oh and I'd love to be able to select from multiple weapon types on the fly, maybe an energy management system, more comm chatter and a proper radar display. I mean the possibilities are endless with this type of game. And lol of course full customization of ships.

6. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I generally agree with the above opinions - the actual gameplay is fluid and well done, however I believe this is way too shallow of a game for the fluid fighter mechanics. It's almost as if the potential outweighs and shadows the game play.

Outside of the immediate fighter fluidity, this game lacks big time unfortunately. With a selection of 2 game modes (survival and survival, no not a typo) it becomes old to me.

You're stuck playing one game mode until you either spend real money or grind enough to have credits for a new ship, each game type requiring a specific ship to be able to play. It all serves to work against itself it seems.

Again, I like the combat, but this game needs so much more for it to stay on my device and to keep me playing.

7. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Thanks for the impressions. Downloading this and Infinity Danger right now.

8. The Gamer Dude

Aug 8, 2013
    I do agree it's somewhat shallow at this point and I'm hopeful that the developers will flesh this out more. I would like to see more credits given out to make grinding less tedious. I really think ship customization- weapon load outs, upgrades and such would help until maybe more complex missions or a fleshed out story mode is added. Here's hoping this is just the beginning.

9. Vaipa

Vaipa Well-Known Member

May 19, 2013
    Game designer - Dream Builder Studios
    We already have elements in the works that will add more focus to the game, improve the progression and add variety to each mission. They will come in the 1.2 update.

Update 1.1 is fixing some critical gameplay bugs and is pending review.

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Also enjoying this so far as well. Love a fun space combat game and the graphics and gameplay are top notch. Anxious to see how this game evolves.

With some disappointments this week, glad I gave this a shot.

11. The Gamer Dude

Aug 8, 2013
    #51 The Gamer Dude, Oct 24, 2013
    Very good to hear Vaipa, and I am enjoying the game it's just with such an excellent combat mode it deserves more :) I can appreciate the work you guys put into the controls and graphics, the star fields and particle effects are brilliant. Looking forward to the updates.

12. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    thanks, I agree with what you said - we're going to add more meat to this game and it will become much more than it is right now (although still a bargain)

13. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I really don't want to take away from the existing gameplay, for $.99, its of good value. But the potential is too great to ignore here. This game deserves to be fleshed out much more.

Well I'll be keeping a close eye on updates that add more to the experience. Definitely like the gamer dude said, upgradeable weapons and the like should help.

14. I think this game is far better than Infinity Danger, but both are good games for a buck.

This game for a buck, really has a good sense of polish, the dogfights are quite fun. Especially liking the second level now. This game is not a huge engaging storylike game, but heck, for a buck, and 55 mb, it is pretty incredible how much you get gameplay wise and graphics wise.

Strike Wing is a perfect game to play in short spurts, any of you liking star wars tie fighter like games will probably like this one too.

15. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #55 JCho133, Oct 24, 2013
    This game is too expensive. Time to go play DT2 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jk probs gonna buy this

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Can't comment on Infinity Danger (waiting on the iOS 6 fix for that one), but agree with you completely with everything else you said.

17. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Just wanted to stop in and say that I'm really enjoying the game. It has earned a place next to GOF2 on my device.

I would love to see upgradable ships, weapons, and maybe equipment to give this game more replayability and staying power.

18. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    The combat is very good. I'm enjoying that, although some of the mechanics and the pop up ads seem a bit freemium. I've played the first mission four times and I'm still grinding away to be able to play the second level as I can't purchase the required ship yet.

I am bored of the first mission. :D

The menus are a bit awkward on my iPhone 5. Its not particularly clear what's kept where, and the scrolling is hit and miss.

Great potential here though. It looks great, the explosions are particularly satisfying, and it controls really well. Definitely going to keep it installed and see what happens.

19. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Sux to hear there are ads. Wouldn't have purchased if I knew that. I'll try it tonight but sounds like it won't be on my device long.

20. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    can you send me a screenshot of a pop up ad???