Strike Team - XCOM style, Tactical RPG by Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Aug 30, 2016.

1. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Soooo last week of June, how's it coming along? Looks great!

2. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Going well but not as fast as I'd like. The game content is largely done ... I only have story scenes and ending scenes left to create. However, I still want to test it more and do an end to end play through. Also, I have about an 8 page long checklist of minor fixes /tweaks that will likely grow as I do more play testing. I also have to create the video trailer.

Unfortuntately, I have to travel for the next 10 days for my day job so won't be able to do much except testing. So will have to finish it all when back from my trip. It'll be late July before its all ready though at least I have no more trips so I should be able to keep that target date.

3. stlredbird

May 21, 2009
    No rush! Other than i cant wait to play it haha.

4. ComplaintDept

ComplaintDept Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Looks great!

Definitely has caught my eye, this looks like a great game.

5. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks. I've taken this entire week off from my day job to finish the game. Aiming to submit to Apple and review sites by end of this week. Should be in a good position to do so.

6. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    WoooHooo!!!

That is awwweeesooomeee news! I assume this is going to be a premium game correct? I am hoping so at least, can you possibly give us a price point or round about?
    Can't wait!

7. ComplaintDept

ComplaintDept Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Awesome.

That's awesome news to hear, if it's as good as your other game you will have a winner on your hands.

8. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I will be buying it as soon as it's released.....just because. #

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes, it'll be premium. Probably around $9 normally but with a launch price of $5 or something.

10. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks. I've improved the camera controls a lot and graphics are a lot better. Gameplay is quite different. The new morale mechanics, ap rules and suppression rules really change how you play and may confuse existing demon rise players. However, I really like them and Demons Rise 3 uses these new mechanics.

11. Xcxc

Xcxc Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2017
    can you leak us any of the classes/characters for this game :D ? (I'm assuming different classes/characters based from DR1/DR2)

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys ... game is finished! Will be working on the app preview and screenshots tomorrow and will then submit.

In terms of characters, there are 11 classes with one more planned post release as a free update.

Classes are various types of soldiers with different weapon types. There are also some unusual classes like psychics, cyborgs, and a character that can manipulate gravity.

13. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Day 1 buyer here.

Now I am waiting for the post-apocayptic one, also. Lol

14. Xcxc

Xcxc Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2017
    So ETA is next week? :D:D

Re: Classes

-Cool! Already with awesome variety. was thinking of maybe some troops in mech's ala XCOM:EW or a racoon (or other furry animals :p ala guardians of the galaxy)

15. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Eta should be July 30th assuming no rejects from Apple.

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Decided to do a bit more testing and tweaking of the final levels. Creating a couple new bad guys as the final levels get a little easy. So revised release will be mid-August. Sorry for the delay but I just want it to be just right at launch.

17. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Awe damn! I already got all super excited #

18. stlredbird

May 21, 2009
    Day one for me!

19. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Sorry about that. There are a number of valid reasons why I'm delaying until August. The main is actually that Apple have a new way of being contacted for feature promotion and I wasn't aware of it. I have filled out the necessary forms but I need to give them at least 4 weeks (they recommend 6) to consider my request for a feature.

The other reason is that the latter half of the game is way too easy. So I really have to adjust this and make it more challenging. I think I've done that by creating some new, powerful bad guys and replacing some of the weaker enemies with them. However, I have to test it extensively to make sure it has the right difficulty curve.

The last reason is that I was testing a complete redesign of the navigation system the decides how characters move around obstacles and get to the final position. This game (along with earlier Demon's Rise games) has a clunky system where characters zig-zag between all hexes in between the original position and the final destination. it doesn't look great and I've been trying to find something that looks more realistic and natural. I believe I have found the solution and my implementation seems to work great but I really need to test it a bit more to make sure the new AI / Navigation doesn't trap a character in a weird position and cause the game to get stuck. I've built pretty rigorous code to protect against so I'm optimistic but I really need a couple days to test this feature heavily.

Hope you understand and please be aware that the delay is resulting in a much better final product. Also, the new smooth-movement navigation system will be ported back to both Demon's Rise 1 and 2 in the next updates.

20. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I always found the movement animation a bit weird but never mentioned it because the rest of your games content were so damn good anyway.
    Bit it always does look kinda strange when a character moves and gets a slight stop at an obstacle and their little legs keep moving and then they ziz zag out from it.

Really looking forward to the release of Strike Team. With all you have learned from Demons I can only imagine it will be a highly polished game.