Strike Team - XCOM style, Tactical RPG by Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Aug 30, 2016.

1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
  2. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
  3. faceleg

faceleg Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Auckland, NZ
    How does the worm burrow through a floor that one assumes is at least as strong as carbon steel or titanium?

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    The worm is actually swimming ... the lower section of the level is flooded but that didn't come across in the image. I need to make the water more visible.

5. faceleg

faceleg Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Auckland, NZ
    Even if the words burrow through titanium flooring I'm buying this game

6. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Yeah...take my money please

This, exiles of embermark, and the new crescent moons game coming are my absolute top three...and tac on card thief as well, but still...this is in my top 3 mobile games of 2017 and now I have an IPHONE 6 plus and have nothing to fear from hardware short comings. Please consider me for beta, willing to test on either device...6 plus or IPAD 4.
    My love and support!
    Sid

7. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks guys ... glad you're liking it. Progress is going well. I have 4 more levels to build to finish off the campaign. Then I need to create a whole bunch of special abilities, adjust stats of enemies and allies, create a bunch of random battles and do a tonne of testing.

8. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    What Crescent Moon game?

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I believe their upcoming game is called Morphite.

Quick update ... working on the final campaign level and final boss.

Still lots more to do but getting closer.

10. Gray Giant Games

Gray Giant Games Active Member
    Patreon Silver

Jan 21, 2017
    Mechanical Engineer
    Memphis, TN
    Wow, this looks really good. I'll be watching your progress from here on out! Subscribed!

11. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Yeah, Morphite

Yeah, sorry, I couldn't think of crescent moon's game at the time. It is indeed called Morphite and its a HEAVY influence from the Metroid Prime series. 1st person shooter, rpg....ish, planet exploring sci fi adventure. Definately...well..imo neway...crescent moons' most ambitious title to date I would say. But anyway, don't mean to talk TOO too much about other devs here, just saying that this new title ( strike team that is) is among my most anticipated titles in 2017.

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys,

I am just finishing up the code changes for the new morale system. Would appreciate some feedback on it. Morale in Strike Team operates very differently than in Demon's Rise. The emphasis is on suppression and firefights and not melee combat, after all. One of the fundamental changes in the Strike Team mechanics is that counter attacks are not melee-only so when you shoot someone, they will shoot back if you are in range of their weapon and they have a counter attack left to them. Therefore, shooting at an enemy can be risky as you draw return fire. It can be a very bad idea if you are in the open and the target is behind effective cover. Instead, it will be usually smarter to use the action points to move to a better position rather than risk an unlikely shot that will draw return fire.

So with that bit of clarity, here is how morale works in this situation:

Morale is a value ranging from 0 to 100 for each unit. Most units will start the game at morale 50 but some better units might start higher and some especially weak / cowardly units would start the battle lower. Morale has a direct and constant effect on fighting ability. So a unit with high morale will be more effective in combat and one with low morale will be less effective. This works as follows:

- A unit's chance to hit with melee and missile attacks is modified by his morale. For every point of morale above 50, the unit gains +1% hit chance and for every point below 50, the unit suffers -1% hit chance. So If you have a soldier with morale 60, he would get a +10% bonus hit chance on his ranged attack. Another soldier with morale 10 would suffer a -40% hit chance penalty on his attacks. A soldier with a morale of exactly 50 would get no penalty or bonus.

- If a unit ever goes down to zero morale, he / she becomes suppressed ... which will have a penalty like they can't move, attack, counter attack or perform any abilities for 1 or 2 turns.

Now the morale value of a unit is constantly modified during the battle. Like the morale system in Demon's Rise, it is based on line of sight and the events that happen in battle. Here is what impacts it:

- When a unit is shot at, it suffers a loss of morale and all units (friend and foe) with a certain radius also suffer a loss in morale. Basically shooting at an enemy will help suppress them and all nearby units. This makes bunching up your soldiers very closely a very bad idea.

- When a unit is hit by an attack and suffers damage, he / she loses morale.

- When a unit is healed by any source (medic, etc.) he / she gains morale.

- When a unit sees an ally get killed, he / she loses morale. There is a further morale penalty if that ally was a "leader"

- When a unit sees an enemy get killed, he / she gains morale. There is also a further morale bonus if that enemy was a "leader"

- When enemy reinforcements enter the battle, units not of that faction lose morale.

- When allied reinforcements enter the battle, units allied to that faction gain morale.

So let me know what you think. 90% is coded and seems to work pretty well.

13. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    That all sounds perfect to me!

14. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    The morale mechanics sounds like it will add a whole new tactical consideration to the gameplay. I like it.

Will each dungeon reset all characters morale back to 50 or will the morale value carry over?

Will there be any items/potions that will increase morale?
    Like a potion of Beer.....that would be sure to raise the morale until the after effects of a hangover. #

15. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    So each character will have a different starting morale and there will be items and XP upgrades that will increase that starting morale. So a really elite soldier might start off with morale 75 and he might have a cool item that boosts morale by a further 5. As such, he would start the battle with a morale of 80 and thus have a 30% boost to his hit chance from the start of the battle. A poorly trained soldier might only have a morale of 25 as his base morale and therefore would start the battle with a -25% hit penalty.

This means that elite troops will be very effective at the start of the battle as they storm in and kick ass to begin with. Similarly, poorly trained soldiers will be less effective to begin with. However, if things go badly for the elites, their morale will go down and they will suffer penalties to their fighting ability. Similarly, if things go well for the poorly trained soldiers, their morale will go up and they will fight better as they get more confident.

It definitely gives a bonus to well trained troops with high starting morale values but they will be comparatively expensive / rare so it should balance out.

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    #116 WaveLightGames, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Hey gents,

Here's a brief video I made during testing. It shows the Rifter in action. She has the ability to manipulate gravity and uses some really strange weapons like a singularity grenade, which creates a tiny black hole. :)

17. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    #117 WaveLightGames, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Another video of the Incinerator character. A short range fighter armed with a flame thrower.

Can anyone remind me how to make an embedded youtube video? Everything I try doesn't work.

18. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    As usual... I agree with amenbrother

19. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    *begins to warm up buying finger for hover mode

20. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Mr. Dhillon, when can we expect to play this gem?

And please don't add 97,000 character classes to start like DQ1 :)