Strike Team - XCOM style, Tactical RPG by Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Aug 30, 2016.

1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Great guys ... glad you guys are interested in it.

Done a fair bit of work on it. Onto level 13 of the campaign. Built a whole bunch of interesting new units ... heavy turrets, teleporters, and lots of new aliens. Heavy turrets are strategic units that are stationary but can lay down massive amounts of fire. Teleporters are units that can bring in reinforcements onto the battlefield. I created about 6 fearsome new aliens including big bosses, elites and spawning pods (similar to teleporters).

Here are some screen shots:

[​IMG]Strike Team WIP 5 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

[​IMG]Strike Team WIP 6 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

The turrets are the big black / red things and the teleporter is the black thing with the circular blue energy ring. In game, the energy ring spins and grows different sizes.

The thing that I'm really happy about is that although this game looks really great, it is already very optimized and efficient. I have yet to do heavy optimization on the 3d characters but they are already fairly well optimized so it plays well on my iPad Air 1 even at this early stage.

2. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    The colors look awesome so far!

3. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, I love the colours though I am experimenting with having slightly different hex colours. I'm not sure if green is the right shade for the hex tiles that are walkable. Going to try a light or dark blue and see if that goes better or not.

I'm also going to work on adding crouch / hide animations that will come into effect when a unit is standing next to a cover position. Kind of like how soldiers crouch behind cover in XCOM.

4. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Awesome!

5. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I think the green colour looks goods. You already have blue/grey coloured walls etc and the green stands out well.
    Also , as we all know , green is universal for "GO."

Your levels look really cool!

I was going to ask if walls are destructible? Also, how is ammo handled?
    If you run out ,can a team member throw you ammo or a small gun?

Thanks

6. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Demons Rise originally had a problem with the big iPad Pro's resolution and the health bars were not lining up with their characters. You did manage to fix that.
    Just giving you a gentle reminder seeing that you are doing your testing on an iPad Air. Which brings me to ask.....you need beta testers? #

7. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, I think you're right ... the blue didn't look that great.

Walls aren't destructible but I *may* add obstacles that could be destroyed to allow for new ways to navigate the map. There will also be energy fields / doors that will need to be hacked to be opened during battle and that will also change the tactical layout of the battlefield.Also looking into having explosive objects that can be shot to trigger larger explosions.

Regarding ammo, the current plan is to allow for infinite ammo on normal attacks and only have a limit on special munitions like grenades, seeker shots, flamers, etc. The reasons are:

(1) simplicity from a coding perspective

(2) it is set in the far future. I feel that when we are able to build spaceships that can navigate the vast distances of space, we will probably have figured out how to have small arms weapons that don't need to be reloaded during a typical firefight.

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, I'll definitely be doing an invite-only beta once this game is at that stage. Don't worry, you'll get an invite. I'm really eager to get feedback from experienced Demon's Rise players on the new movement with AP rules and the new morale changes that this game will feature.

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Having a productive day .... did the first of several assault mechs that players will be able to control for some of the levels. Here's one from campaign level 13.

[​IMG]Strike Team WIP 7 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

[​IMG]Strike Team WIp 8 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

This one shows a nearby human soldier for size reference. The mechs will be big, slow but with massive armour / hit points and loads of firepower.

10. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Omg that looks awesome!

11. Ticktockfolly

Ticktockfolly Active Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Please add me as well. I'm pretty good with QA as you know :).

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, absolutely ... you were on my list.

13. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Here's today progress shots. I just finished campaign level 15 with a big boss fight. A really epic encounter where players get 2 assault walkers to try and break through a heavily fortified alien position and kill a high-ranking alien.

[​IMG]Strike Team WIP 9 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

There is a side corridor too that allows for some interesting tactics where the player can try to get behind the enemy force. A very fun looking map ... I look forward to playtesting and tweaking it.

Here's a pic of the boss for this level:

[​IMG]Strike Team WIP 10 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

14. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Looks freaking amazing!

15. paolopingol

paolopingol Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    IT Programmer/Digital Arts
    This game is worth more than $5! I am hyped! Willing to spend on this game!

16. Drahcirek

Drahcirek New Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Yes, very awewome. When will it be released?

17. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm hoping before April 2017. Probably a mid to late March release.

18. flaretimo

flaretimo Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Dev. Relations Viking @ Flaregames
    Karlsruhe, Germany
    Hey guys,

I'm lurking this thread for a while now. I think your game sounds very promising!
    It also definitley looks nice.

But I have one major thing that bugs me about the art style, even though it looks great.
    There is so much going on on your screenshots. A lot of props in the levels, everything is exposed similar. It feels like everything looks the same. On my first look at new screenshots I feel like I can't make out what is what.
    I'm certain that this will look different when everything is moving.
    Have you planned on distinguishing the characters and enemies a little bit more from the backgrounds? For example dimming the light of the surroundings a little bit more or something like that.

This is just my opinion, could be that I'm the only one seeing it like that.

Otherswise keep up the good work! Looking forward to getting my handy on the game :)

Cheers!

19. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    No I also agree.
    The screenshots make the game look very busy and it is a bit of a strain to see the various characters.
    However it could just be the fact that they are just that...screenshots.
    I imagine that the gameplay will make it all look a lot better.

However be assured it will be one of the main points I will be checking during the beta phase.

20. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yep, I am a bit concerned about that issue as well. So what I'm planning is to add a script that will hide some of the extra ceiling things that might get in the player's way if it does get too obtrusive.