Strike Team - XCOM style, Tactical RPG by Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Aug 30, 2016.

1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    They can be customized heavily as the game progresses but at first, they are fairly standard. The only thing you can change at first is their name. As they level up though, their stats increase and they get new abilities and you can equip them with about 10 different items each.

For my next RPG, I plan to add more of a character builder element. Something similar to Baldur's Gate where you choose a class and then you have a pool of points to allocate to various stats. The difficulty is this system works great for a single character but gets really heavy for a team of six characters.

2. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    A man after my own heart.
    For difficulty scaling relative to party strength, since you have already played Baldur's Gate and you are familiar with the D20 and D&D system, i think that you can find near perfect answers in the D&D rulebooks.
    With a quick look at the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master guide, you can move on to your book : Monster Manual.

Not only will this be an inspiration for enemies/characters -perhaps even a whole campaign and story, but it will tell you what monsters a certain party level can face in general. From there, adjust and voila.

If you decide to do it, in my honest opinion find the D&D 3.5 or 3.0 rulebooks.
    2.0 were the original Baldurs Gate - needlessly convoluted aimed at hardcore nerds - which we totally were
    4.0 is overly simplified with a strong influence from World of Warcraft - aimed at 10 year olds and impatient people.
    5.0, i have no idea, my group is faithful to 3.5 since it came out and we think it's the perfect balance.

3. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Wow, niceeee, hopefully there will be a newgame+ on the game xD

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    What exactly is newgame+? Is that the ability to replay the campaign at higher difficulties? If so, then yes the game already has that. You can replay any earlier campaign levels at any time at any difficulty. You can also change the difficulty as you like during the campaign.

5. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    You should just hit the release button now, lol. I really want this

6. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Glad you're excited. Gotta stick to the plan, such as it is.

Made a few tweaks that will appear in a patch shortly after launch. Nothing major, just fixing a few typos and improving the look of the game on low ram devices.

7. Stevo47

Stevo47 Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Strike Team

When is it out?

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    This Monday.

9. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Your're Correct sir xD with the upgrade still intact ofcourse xD, ah another one, will there be a storyline in the game?

10. hedgey

hedgey Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    To state the obvious... Yes! INSTABUY!!!

I've been a huge fan of this dev since the preview coverage of the first Demon's Rise. One of the best devs around.

Monday can't get here fast enough.

11. Stevo47

Stevo47 Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Monday!

Got all his games also, looking forward to this one, he worked so hard on it.

12. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Hells yeah! Monday!? Maaaan, alllmost wish you hadn't told us, cuz now all I can think about is Mondaymondaymondaymondaymondaymondaymondaymondaymondaymondaymonday!

13. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks guys, I'm really happy how game came out. It's a lot more polished and focussed than either of the Demon's Rise games.

Storyline is still pretty light. The emphasis of this game is on the tactical combat and team building element as opposed to story. I plan to focus on the story aspect more heavily in my next RPG, which will be a return to the world of Demon's Rise.

14. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    Darn, this is a bit of a let down. I still plan on snatching it up immediately, but story always helps break up any monotony, and helps carry me through to the end of the game. Sometimes, unless the gameplay is just stupendous, I can get stuck bored about halfway through some games. Hopefully this won't be like that for me.

Is there any story boarding at all? Cut scenes, environment dialogue, any such?

15. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Oh yeah, there absolutely is a story. Sorry, I didn't mean to indicate otherwise. There's slightly more storyboarding than in Demon's Rise 2. There are about 8 cut scenes and several story / dialogue scenes.

It's just that the storyline takes place over a single day so there isn't the usual large-scale arcs or opportunities to have deep connections between characters and so forth. It's a bit like the old TV series 24 ... just without the annoying clock every episode.

16. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    Awesome!

oooooh! Awesome! Lol, now I am back to being a lot more excited about the game haha. Glad you cleared that up, it was a tad misleading at least for myself. Its just fine that the story takes place over a day, yes I would love huge story arcs etc etc, but this is perfectly fine as well. At least it isn't just an empty gameplay shell with no reason or explanation etc. Good deal.

17. Stevo47

Stevo47 Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Strike team

Your games are always challenging and replayable. My go to games. Tactical combat and team building are my favs. Each game gets better and mor polished. Looking forward to playing. Thanks for being accessible.

18. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Cant wait for tomorrow!

19. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    Amen Brother.

20. hedgey

hedgey Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    It's out now in the US!