Universal Strike Team Hydra (by Wave Light Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Nullzone, Aug 7, 2017.

1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    So the suppression rules are as follows, when you shoot an enemy target, you not only have a chance of hurting but you also reduce their morale by a 1 - 15 points (I think). Then any unit that was adjacent to the one you were shooting at also suffers a slightly smaller morale penalty. Finally any unit within a 2 tile radius of the original target suffers a smaller penalty. This means that shooting an enemy has a negative impact on their morale even if you don't hit them.

Now when a target gets morale of zero, their indicator turns yellow and they become panicked. While panicked, they can't perform any special abilities but can move / shoot.

The thing is that morale itself is very important to fighting ability. The way it works is that morale ranges from 0 to 100. If your morale is above 60, you get +1 attack skill for each point it exceeds 60. If your morale is below 40, you suffer a -1 attack skill penalty for each point below 40. So a unit with morale 30 suffers -10 attack skill while a unit with morale 80 enjoys a +20 attack skill bonus. Attack skill is one of main things that determine whether you hit or not. Therefore, once you do enough to reduce enemy morale, they become much less effective. Morale is reduced by attacks (see suppression above) but also by things like seeing an ally get killed, killing an enemy, seeing an enemy die, seeing reinforcements arrive, seeing more enemy patrols arrive, losing health, gaining health, etc. So morale is very important because it directly affects your soldiers fighting ability and that of your enemy. Your team are elites so typically start the battle with high morale so will have an advantage at first but that advantage will quickly evaporate if things go badly. Similarly, weak enemies will fight much better if they are emboldened by the arrival of allies or something.

2. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #62 stubbieoz, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Okay, looking at the main options menu under audio there are three slider settings; SFX volume, Music and Voices.

However when actually playing a mission the audio option menu now just has Music Volume and Sound Volume sliders.

So I now assume that the values in the Main menu for Music and Voices are the frequency they are played and not the volume (unlike the SFX volume slider above them)?

.....and the Sound Volume slider in the mission audio settings is overall sound volume.

3. titivivi

titivivi Active Member

Nov 20, 2015
    All right that's very clear thank you.
    What about overwatching and the abilities Unlock system ?

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #64 Nullzone, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Abilities should unlock when your Soldiers get more AP from leveling up and items.
    Overwatch I didn't get around to check yet. Give me a bit and I'll be back. Or check the ingame help, I guess it's in there ;)
    UPDATE: Sorry, nothing about Overwatch in the help. Have to wait for Wavelight to answer that one.

5. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Abilities unlock automatically as your characters level up and increase action points.

For overwatch, there isn't the typical system where you spend points to shoot at enemy when they move into your unit's line of sight. Instead, there is a counter attack system where units shoot back at those that shoot at them. There are abilities like hunker down where a unit can spend action points to get more counter attacks and increase their defensive stats. These are useful if you have a unit in a forward position and expect he'll do more damage with counter attacks.

I did try a version with the more classic overwatch system in an early build but I didn't really like it for various reasons. I may explore trying a new variant of it in the future but not sure as of yet.

6. Xcxc

Xcxc Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2017
    just a suggestion, add an option to start with less than 6 chars. That way they level up faster.

Also there is no penalty for swapping chars right? And whats the best tank char in the game?

7. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Strike Team

Wave Light Games... your rad!

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    That's a really cool idea, I never thought about it as an option. I'll look into that and see if it'll be good from a coding perspective.

No penalty for swapping out characters. You can do it as much as you like for free. The experience points and stat bonuses and equipment carry over from the old character to the new. Since weapons are usually class-specific, those get moved to the character's backpack automatically.

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks Jim. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the game.

10. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Very well done Wavelight. Enjoying this very much. Love the new graphics style. Big fan of all your work. Very slick and snappy this one.

11. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Just ran the tutorial, some impressions:

1. I think the iPad Mini 2/Retina handles this pretty well, not great, but not too slow, playable

2. The background is less clutter than I get from the screenshot. Nicely done

3. One can actually see if a hex provides barrier and attack bonus or not by clicking on it.

4. May be I have missed it, can I know how many AP need to move to a particular hex?

5. Support the feature of showing enemy movements, especially when they are in LoS of your team members

6. I also support the option of removing camera control off the screen. One thing, I have no problem with zooming and panning the cam by dragging and pitching with touch. I am not very sure how to rotate the view.

7. Last but not least: is this really the launch price?

12. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Look at the tile when you click it once. Shows action Point cost. You have to review the skills and their action cost as well. Definitely some reviewing a move before you make it, but the info is there. Plays awesome with amped settings on iPad Pro. # agreed on the price, felt like I stole it.

13. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Sadly going to have to refund #
    The game crashes like every other screen. I have to restart the game 3 times just to get to a mission. Usually freezes mid mission and have to restart app, overheats phone, and honestly the UI is just way to burdensome and clunky. Not mad, just disappointed, wonder why no one else is experiencing these awful crashes though.

14. Xcxc

Xcxc Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2017
    maybe turn down the settings? never had the crash issue personally (using iphone 6s)

Also for the abilities, can there be an option that they are already displayed? I understand the reasoning that there are 10+ abilities already so it would be cramped. But if for example only 6 ability buttons is the acceptable in terms of space, I wouldn't mind having a scroll button as long as some are already displayed. Somewhat like below:

<< skill1 skill2 skill3 skill4 skill5 skill6 >>

and if above change is possible :D and not too much work, maybe add the option to sort which skills are displayed first? :D:D

15. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    #75 WaveLightGames, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    That's really odd. Which device are you playing on? Also, what options do you have on the graphics settings?

16. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    I don't understand the Terran feature can someone clarify so far liking the game

17. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Having a scrollbar is a cool idea. Might be possible but I'm not sure where I would put the description of the ability in that design.

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Sure. In some levels, there are force fields that provide buffs to any unit that occupies a tile with them on. For example, the blue force field makes the tiles under it give all units in them +35 evasion. The green force field heals any unit under then by 15 life. There are also some abilities that modify tiles in the same manner. For example, the incinerator can set some tiles on fire, which means they do damage to any unit that starts the turn on them.

So the terrain effects button allows you to check if the selected tile grants any kind of stat bonus or penalty to units that start the turn on them.

19. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    #### What's your impression?

20. gaymerX

gaymerX Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2014
    I really like this game but it needs a little more polish. The environments are just too heavy with all the black outlines and clutter. I still haven't figured out if there is any actual cover. I'm guessing it has to do with whatever tile you are standing on. I also think that taking six characters into missions is a bit much. Most of the time I find that the characters get grouped up without much room for creative placement for strategy. The movement and ap is a bit messy. I'd rather have separate move points and action points. The structure of the campaign is also kind of weird. It took me a while to figure out that I could slide the menu left/right to get to the different mission screens and as a result I kept doing special missions. The stat and inventory screen also needs work. On my iPad I keep picking up inventory items and moving them on top of other inventory items. The game does a poor job of indicating what can and can't be slotted into each character, and the amount of items available is overwhelming considering that most of it is unusable at first. Perhaps a button that filters out unusable items? It's frustrating and counterintuitive. I'll stick with it and most likely just get used to the fiddly nature of these things but honestly there are other games that have fined tuned these simple things into optimal mechanics and menu flow. I'm looking forward to future updates. For now, this isn't really a go to must play game for me. It just feels kind of mediocre.