Universal Strike Team Hydra (by Wave Light Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Nullzone, Aug 7, 2017.

1. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I also got the impression in the beginning that the dev was feeling a bit irate at the critism that was being leveled at him. Afterall this game was his baby and he released it probably feeling this was his best effort so far with a game and there was nothing wrong with it. I can fully understand that he might have felt....well this is my game and like it or lump it.

Thankfully he seems to have realised that the comments were, in the main, constructive critism that were from players that genuinely wanted to see this game acheive the potential it obviously had.
    All the changes implemented since players started commenting here have indeed improved the game. High quality tactical turn-based combat games like Strike Team Hydra and the Demons series are a rare breed in the mobile market and probably the player base is not all that large. I for one am very grateful that Wave Light Games exist at all.

I am glad that he has once again listened just like he has with the Demons games and I am very happy to continune to support Wave Light Games.

2. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Actually, I had a death in the family during the week of launch so I wasn't in the best of moods.

That and some of the feedback was to make huge structural changes based on very little actual play time with the system. For example, some of the early requests were to change the movement system from the AP-based system back to the fixed movement of the Demon's Rise games. I didn't make those kinds of changes because I was confident that the new AP system is good. It just needed a bit of polishing and tweaking. I appreciate that the feedback was from a well-intended source so I wasn't personally offended but I wasn't willing to make such huge structural changes to the game in response to quick feedback points. By keeping the core new system in place but addressing the usability issues, I think I got the overall game to a level I'm very happy with.

3. vladswe

vladswe Active Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Were you able to get the game speed setting into the settings menu? I need to speed up enemy phases every round now and there is no way to speed up my own turns. Would be very appreciated!

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    No, I missed that one. I'll add that in the next patch.

5. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    In other news, I finally got a feature on the UK App store. The game is in their "New Games We Love" list on the front page of the store. That's a new achievement ... never managed to do that before with any of my games. :)

6. TheVimFuego

TheVimFuego Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2014
    My condolences.

This looks fun and deep, we need more tactical games in app store, bought.

Finding time to play is the challenge but happy to support quality development and developers that are responsive.

7. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    Is this 64 bit so it will work with iOS 11

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes, all my games are 64-bit.

9. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    I've noticed a problem where when I make attacks, I always seem to roll then lowest possible damage value when I make a hit.

There's no way it's random because of the frequency. This also happened in the previous games of DR1 and DR2.

Anyone else have this problem?

10. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    The way the damage calculation works is that a unit has a damage range from minimum to maximum. Then the target has an armour stat that reduces the damage taken down. However, the damage will never be lower than the attack's minimum damage value.

So if you have an attack that does 10 - 25 damage and you are attacking a tough enemy with armour 50, you will always do the minimum 10 damage. The same goes for attacks made against you as well. Now, critical hits completely ignore armour and do a significantly more damage ... I think it's 2.5x or 1.5x but with an additional penalty like bleeding, blinded, etc. So if you did a critical hit, then you attack might do a base damage of 15 (random from 10 - 25) multiplied by 2.5x for a total of 45 damage.

I may change this down the road. I always like to play with the formula and see how it affects the game. If you have a suggestion, let me know.

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    THanks, appreciate it.

I know what you mean about time to play. I just bought myself Fallout 4 and XCOM 2 and have barely played them. I mostly bought XCOM 2 for research puposes so I can see what a real AAA tactical rpg looks like on the PC platform, which is where I'm hoping to launch next.

12. vladswe

vladswe Active Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Thank you very much - appreciate it! You're doing great work with these games, I own them all.

13. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    Ah good point. I actually forgot about damage reduction while it was happening.

Also condolences with your loss. It's never easy and I hope you take the time to look after yourself, no matter how long it may take.

14. Peter321

Peter321 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Male
    How does this compare to something like XCOM enemy unknown / enemy within?

I'm looking for a good replacement now that it will die in the 32-bit appocalypse ;)

15. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    #415 WaveLightGames, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    It's different. There's no base building or research and the story is very light.

Imagine xcom with just the combat missions and you'll be in the right ball park.

In terms of combat missions, the big differences are:

- typically faster paced as the maps are smaller and there are more enemies / units to control. So there isn't the early stage of a level where your team are walking around looking for the enemy.

- There are more terrain effects with things like shield generators, tachyon fields, etc. However, terrain isn't destructible and you don't have cars that you can shoot and have them explode and such.

- There is no multi-level element so everyone is a the same ground level.

- Fairly different take on mechanics like suppression, morale, counter-attacks, etc. The game is conveying the same scenario but with a different angle / perspective. Instead of overwatch where you shoot enemies as they come into your line of sight, you put your units on guard and they will shoot back at anyone that shoots them. Suppression and morale are also handled very differently.

Otherwise, fairly similar. The game should be recognizable to you as an XCOM player but as you dig in, it will be quite a different experience.[/

16. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Quite favorably in my book, in a large part because the (later) battles aren't so incredibly long as in XCOM (slogging for hours through that huge alien ship was were I stopped playing XCOM ... thrice).

Note though that Hydra is pure fighting. No base-building, base resource management, etc.
    Ah, I see Wavelight just beat me to it ;)

On the other hand, as I wrote here http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=4039127&postcount=50 :

17. Peter321

Peter321 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Male
    Great, thanks for the info. Sounds like something I need to check out :)

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys,

sorry for the lack of updates. Been working on the PC version which has required an almost total redesign of the UI.

On the positive side, I think I have implemented the undo move button. Seems to work quite nicely ... surprisingly worked on the very first test. I'll show some pics of it once I test it some more.

19. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I have got the Undo movement button working. Here's a screenshot from the PC version that shows it:

[​IMG]STH PC by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

You can see that the PC UI is completely different. With the ability to have windows pop up when the mouse hovers over an icon and access to keyboard shortcuts, I can go with a completely minimal UI design for PC that isn't possible on mobile. I can also crank up the graphics many notches. It really will be a great way to play the game.

20. candyjet

candyjet Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Finally cracked it and made it to the end, albeit on normal difficulty. Special Missions as well.
    My only real challenge was level 26, where I slightly cheated and completed it on Easy. Levelling up on levels 27 and 28 gave me just enough edge to go back to 26 and win on Normal.

Great game.

Thanks WL. :D