Universal Strike Team Hydra (by Wave Light Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Nullzone, Aug 7, 2017.

1. subgenius

subgenius Well-Known Member

May 30, 2014
    I forgot to ask earlier, but after you finish the final story battle,
    is it intentional that there is no ending dialogue or cinematic? I got my exp and loot and then it just put me back at the main starting screen.

2. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    No... that's not right at all. Whoops. I'll fix it.

3. candyjet

candyjet Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Thanks for all the tips. Out of interest, what sort of level characters do you need to finish the game on 'normal' setting, assuming an average competence? Just a rough idea will do.

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    No prob ;)
    For normal, regular leveling progress should be more than enough. I guess you'll end up with level 8 at least?
    I switched to Hard mode somewhere around halfway IIRR, and my folks are level 10 now with 3 more Story Missions to go.
    And frankly, with all the buffs my squad can put on, a level or two more aren't even that noticeable anymore. 200 attack skill is 200 attack skill ;) the area where levelups still help me is Evasion, Crit Resist and Critchance: much easier if those are naturally high and I don't have to pay attention when/if I need to recast buffs.

Are you asking out of curiosity, or are you running into problems with completing missions?

5. snarvid

snarvid Well-Known Member

May 20, 2013
    That's fine by me. I'd also be fine with an energy constructs, or some way to teleport allies and/or enemies onto the portal, just not "summon a portal that makes you wait a turn to summon one thing and then has nothing to do before it expires." Not really a portal at that point, just a really awkward single summon.

6. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, that's a valid point. I wonder if I should just remove the expiration completely and allow for some other ability on top of summoning infantry? Not sure what else a portal could do really.

What would be cool is if added functionality for tiles that teleport you immediately to another tile. That way I could make the summoned rift be a means for moving your troops around the battlefield.

7. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Getting the next big update ready. This has the new transparent wall effect and lots of UI improvements, bug fixes and game balance tweaks.

8. snarvid

snarvid Well-Known Member

May 20, 2013
    If portals didn't expire, and it wasn't too annoying to code, maybe you could make portals have a very low cost ability that would let them teleport anyone within 1 square over to 1 square of any other portal. Because connected portals = connected wormholes. Or something.

But i suspect that might be really awkward to program.

9. candyjet

candyjet Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Thanks NZ. I'm asking for both reasons really. I only ever got about half way through DR2, because I seemed to get thrashed very quickly. I'm now on mission 16 and wondering whether to use the special missions to level up the team a bit, or improve my tactics.

It's nice to know that I don't seem too far from what you reckon.

Cheers. :D

10. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    The special missions are quite fun. I would hope you play them all at least once in your play through. Ultimately, you should never be at a point where you get totally pummelled. If you ever find you need to level up massively from one level to another, let me know. I'm aiming for gradually increasing difficulty curve and no major spikes.

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Next update is now sitting with Apple. Hopefully they'll approve soon.

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Here's the change log, by the way:

- See through system now allows you to see holographic images of units obscured by walls.
    - Users can now set a favourite ability to the quick ability button.
    - Tutorial moved to new game prompt (before team selection).
    - Option added to use a pre-selected team.
    - UI improvements.
    - New enemy added: Large cocoon that can spawn brood champions.
    - Game balance adjustments.
    - Bug Fixes.

13. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Other than the Undo button for movement, is there anything I haven't addressed that people have asked for?

14. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    AFAIR you covered pretty much everything, awesome job ;)

15. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    We want MORE!
    I would gladly pay for an expansion pack with new characters and/or missions.
    Just a thought.

16. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    While an expansion to Hydra sounds good (mission series where you play the Aliens?), I'd also love to see Wavelight's next games ;) So a bit torn on this one.

17. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I started work on the next Strike Team game this week. I don't believe that expansion packs are viable in the app store market and prefer to do stand-alone, premium games. I've been creating characters for the next game and have developed a very promising, new workflow. For example, it looks like I'll now be able to have different visible weapon upgrades appear on the character as they level up or equip higher quality weapons.

I'm doing the story boarding and character creation. The game will be set in a futuristic city and not in the confines of a ship so there will be things like vehicles, heavy mechs, civilian crowds, etc. So a lot of new gameplay elements but with the same core game. Similar to how Demon's Rise 2 introduced very large monsters, out-door scenes, etc. to the Demon's Rise formula.

However, before that comes out ... I'll be finishing my space fleet game and probably the next Demon's Rise game.

18. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Gaming goodness guaranteed for the next few years :D

19. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    This sounds even better!
    The future of iOS tactical gaming looks very bright indeed.

20. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    massive improvements in the ui, especially in this last version. The game went from frustrating (for me) to enjoyable with these updates. Color coded hexes and unit transparency made all the difference.
    In the beginning i was feeling like you wouldn't listen, and i was surprised -after all, the DR games are so great because you did listen.
    Very happy you made these changes. Lets see the next game :)