Universal Strike Team Hydra (by Wave Light Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Nullzone, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #361 Nullzone, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Story Mission 21

Story Mission 21:
    Another easy one. Won in 4 turns.
    Cyborg moved left and stunned the big guy. Took him down in 2 turns, together with Flamey. The Bot on that side served as distraction, but not much else.
    Cyborg and Flamey as a fireteam also had no problem to clean out the remaining units there, after the big one went down in flames ;)

Right side, my Nova pretty much soloed. The 2 extra soldiers you get served as distraction on the lower right, and even took out an enemy or two.
    Nova just kept moving forward down the main corridor there and killing everything in sight, with one of my Commanders fueling her constantly.

Bought a Belt with +2 Sight & +2 Range for my Nova, bringing her up to 12 Range.

2. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Then whats the point? Why have a quick ability button bound to mostly useless abilities like embolden or grenade?
    Makes no sense.

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Because it's a good start? ;) We didn't have one at all in the launch version.
    Give him some time to come up with and implement a way to change the assigned abilities. Wavelight mentioned on Discord he's already working on it.

4. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Whoops ... that seems like a bug. I didn't intend for flamethrowers or shotguns to get range bonuses. I suspect that was supposed to boost damage instead. The two variables have similar names so I probably got them mixed up.

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Awh, sad panda here. Flamer with such an insane range is fun :p Just blasted a Centurion to small fiery bits from 2/3 across the map.
    If that's indeed a bug, I guess I'll swap Flamey out for another Cyborg.

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Story Mission 22

Equally easy as 21 ;)
    I used the Bots on the left side as distraction, while my squad rolled up the level from the right side. First Centurion (in the right lane) I simply shot to pieces, second one got a Cyborg Stun to the face and then everyone unloaded into him till he went down.

Bought some more nice stuff for my folks, like swapping the Nova's Belt I bought last time out for an improved version with +3 Sight/Attack Range.

7. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Congrats ... you've won the unofficial "who can win the game first on this forum" contest I was running. Great work! I personally haven't cleared the last level yet. How was the final boss in terms of challenge?

[/quote]

Which one is the turret character? Overall, though your analysis fits in well with what I was trying to do for each class. Glad they're all useful.

Seems range is the big stat for the STH system, which is what I expected. I think I'm going to add some more area effect damage abilities to higher / mid-tier enemies and that may change the viability of the defensive / turtle formation.

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    #368 WaveLightGames, Aug 22, 2017
    I think I need to create a new higher-tier spawning pod that creates more powerful enemies and maybe tweak a few more missions to be "finish within X turns". I've generally got good feedback from the spawning pod missions but the problem is that they only spawn a low-tier unit. So I think having a new type that spawns tougher enemies would be helpful. Could either be a spawning pod or an enemy teleporter pad or something.

I think stuns became a bigger part of the strategy than I intended. I'll be tweaking their availability and duration down a bit in the next patch. I really want the focus of the game to be about using cover and flanking, which is not essential if you can just stun the enemy for 2 or 3 turns repeatedly.

For extra range items, I think I might need to reduce their availability a bit. It seems in some cases it was accidental because the variable hit chance is "RangeAttack" and the variable for attack range is "AttackRange" so I think a few items have attack range bonuses when I meant for them to have ranged hit chance bonuses instead. I definitely didn't intend the shotguns and flame throwers to give range bonuses. Some of the items will get tweaked / fixed in the next patch.

Overall, I really want the signature items of each class (shotgun, flame thrower, rocket launcher, etc.) to emphasize the unit's attack style and not cover up for a weakness. A shotgun should do lots more damage and perhaps better hit chance rather than add range because that makes the Nova Marine suddenly a sniper, which isn't intended at all.

Yeah, I think you're right. I think the AI too often uses its maximum movement and doesn't leave enough for attacks. I'll look into the code and see if I can fix that.

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Maybe try some other characters? You'll find each evolve very differently as they level up.

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    For now, I'm using what works best ;) want to see how the story plays out first.
    After that, I'm thinking about trying a Psi-focused squad and leave the usual suspects like Commander and Cyborg at home.

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Here you go, added it this morning. Should be in the next patch:

[​IMG]set favourite ability by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    #372 WaveLightGames, Aug 22, 2017
    Cool, I've added another soldier type it can summon and extended its lifespan from 6 to 8 turns. When I typed allied troops, I was thinking of human faction soldiers. What did you have in mind?

13. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I've made it so that the speed you set it remembered from one turn to another. It also should remember it from one battle to another, I believe so in theory ... you only need to set it once.

14. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    I was using a team with
    Psi ops
    Assault marine
    Infiltrator
    Specter
    Medic
    Rifter
    I went for the ones with more flavour to me.
    However, i don't like pure support/buff characters so i will probably ditch psi ops. The assault marine may be becoming good with supp fire but i need someone with more firepower. I changed psi ops and rifter out for vanguard, robot walking turret. Only mission where i had someone killed was with the ravager because i did something stupid

15. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #375 Nullzone, Aug 22, 2017
    Story Mission 23

Won on turn 6 without breaking a sweat, yay for creative tactics ;)

On turn 1, I moved Flamey into position to cast all 3 of his Incinerate skill on the big baddie in the center. Needed both Commanders to fuel him for this, so the other units couldn't go all shooty murderspree right on turn 1 (they just buffed up instead, and fired a few token shots).
    That did so much damage-over-time to it, that I could
    a) focus on taking out all the chaff around. And yes, "chaff" extends to the Centurions :D
    b) have my Nova and Cyborg comfortably do enough damage to finish it off after the Incinerates ran out.

With his damage reduced by 24 points thanks to 3x Incinerate, Flamey was only good for taking out the smaller worms for the rest of the battle. No biggie, as there were enough around to keep him occupied all day.
    While Nova and Cyborg split to the left and right, taking out everything bigger than a small Worm they could get at, and slowly moving forward. Each got a Commander to keep them fueled.
    Cyborg dropped a Stun on the right Centurion on turn 2, then finished him and his cronies off with the help of two well-placed grenades from the Commander on his side.

Medic was mostly twiddling her thumbs, occasionally refreshing the Combat Stims on the shooters, and healing the Cyborg and a Commander once each.

Got 30k in the bank again, doing some shopping before the next mission.

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Very cool ... some valuable feedback.

I made some tweaks and upped the challenge of some of the later stage bad guys and gave them some stronger abilities. Will see how that works.

Doing a test build now. If it all goes well then I should have another update ready for Apple tomorrow, most likely.

17. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Story Mission 24

Really short post since it was way too easy with lots of longrange firepower:
    Position at start of long corridor, blast everything to bits, move forward till you can see more enemies, rinse repeat ;)
    On the other hand, a stage that allows for our heroic soldiers to really show their strengths is a good thing in my book. Quite sure it'll be more difficult with shortrange only.

Sounds good. I should be done in a day or two, depending on how exhausting work will stay for the rest of the week (last two days were brutal). Time for another playthrough with a different group then.

18. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I see from the last few posts that a lot of tweaking and generally making things tougher are going to be applied.
    I sure hope that is not going to make the normal difficulty setting too hard to play for us more casual players.#

I am still playing Demons Rise 2 and will be playing Strike Team Hydra when finished.
    I cannot fit both on my iPad at once. #

19. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    We'll see ... if it does, I'll just tweak it again. :)

There's also 5 difficulty modes and the difference between each one is much bigger than in Demon's Rise. So playing on casual is really quite relaxing and playing on extreme is like some form of masochistic torture.

20. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    YES! Thank you!
    This will make gameplay about a 100 times smoother.

Now I can finally use the Commander, she is super powerful but I ditched her because I refuse to open the ability menu 10+ times every turn.