Strike Fleet Typhon - Tactical Space Fleet Combat

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Aug 4, 2017.

1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi guys,

These past few months I've been working on a mass space fleet battle game built on the same codebase as Strike Team Hydra. It is still in fairly early stages with much of the code changes and UI tweaks still to be done. I expect it to be finished some time before the end of the year. The focus is on turn-based, tactical battles between large-ish fleets of spaceships.

There will be a wide range of ship types from fighters all the way to huge battleships and carriers. There will also be a lot of different base types that can spawn units or provide tactical benefits during battle like repair ships, generate massive shields, etc.

Although it uses the same action point and cover systems as Strike Team Hydra, it won't be an RPG and won't have any of the RPG elements. Instead, it'll be much more like a digital version of a tabletop wargame. Similar to Battlefleet Gothic where you'll have points to spend before a battle on ships. Ships don't carry over from one battle to another or gain XP or anything.

Anyway, here are screen shots of the game so far. Got about 15 levels of the main campaign done out of a total campaign of 45 levels. The campaign will span a battle across 3 separate solar systems and the game is set in the same universe as Strike Team Hydra.

[​IMG]Main Menu by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

[​IMG]Base by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

[​IMG]Solar Map 1 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

[​IMG]Solar Map 2 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ship Fleet 1 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ship Flee 2 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ship Fleet 3 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ship Fleet 5 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

I'll post regular updates, as always.

2. UnhappyUnlucky

UnhappyUnlucky Well-Known Member

#2 UnhappyUnlucky, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    I bought all of your games after trying Demon Rise 2. Short and simple impressions: Awesome sauce :cool:. Now you got me excited for your next project! As a huge fan of sci-fi I can’t control my excitement. How is the progress on this game doing? Are you able to release it in the timeframe you have hoped for? Hope everything is going well. Looking forward to any updates

3. UnhappyUnlucky

UnhappyUnlucky Well-Known Member

Also, I thought you have a huge following. Surprised to see I’m the first one to ask questions after a few months. This thread should be a hundred pages by now. Come on guys, where is the excitement?

4. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I wouldn't say I have a huge following but I'm happy.

Work is moving along fairly well. However, it's been delayed significantly by other things like updates to existing games to improve certain areas and also bringing Strike Team Hydra to Steam / PC. The game will launch on PC this Friday and I did a lot of work to make it a proper PC game and not just a rushed mobile port.

I have made good progress on Typhon, though. The menus and UI are more or less done and I've got the first 8 or so missions in a polished state. I've done the code for the new shield mechanic on capital ships and am working on the crew strength code changes and other new mechanics that will make this a proper ship fleet game and not just a reskin of my other games.

The next area I'm working on is building up the resource aspect. You'll be able to destroy asteroids and have harvester ships collect the mineral deposits and transport them off the battlefield. This will give you resource credits that you can use for your construction ships to build portals and requisition new ships for the battle. It will have a sort of turn-based starcraft feel.

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Yee-haw, more stuff from you coming up! :D
    I saw you talk about it on Discord already, really interesting and something different from your previous games.

If you want an example on how NOT to do this, go play some Battlefleet Gothic Leviathan: quite terrible UI, weird gameflow, etc. And yes, I know it's a boardgame adaptation, but I still found it pretty bad :p