iPad StreetBall $0.99

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by salsamd, Feb 10, 2009.

1. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #1 salsamd, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
    [App Store Link, $0.99]

Gameplay video here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    Ya, I saw this earlier and got kind of excited. It's the first real basketball sim, so pretty cool. I'll wait for reviews though.

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I'd love to see a video of this one. I'm curious about the animation with that paper cutout style.

4. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Looks good, My iTunes isnt working and I cant find Streetball on App Sniper of my iPods App store, when was it released and what countries?

5. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Feb 4, 2009

English

6. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    This actually looks pretty good. Must wait for gameplay video, though.

7. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    It was actually released tonight. Feb 4th is the submission day.

arn

8. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Yeah I want to see a video. Reminds me kind of a more cartoon version of NBA Jam.

9. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I was just thinking about NBA Jam earlier today. I would love it if this was at all similar.

10. illucius

illucius Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Is that Obama shooting for first possession in the second screen?

11. adbjmb

adbjmb Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Pretty fun game. You can play a timed game of 2 on 2 or a game to 21 or horse. It's kind of like a mini NBA JAM . You can even have big heads and I like the slow motion dunks. The ai isn't bad because in the timed games they know when they are running out of time and try to steal. They even forced me into overtime once. Over all i'm happy with the purchase. B-ball fans should enjoy this arcade style game.

12. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    adbjmb, how are the controls? Do they work well? Sounds awesome!

13. adbjmb

adbjmb Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    The controls may take a bit to get used to at first because they seem just a bit loose to me. But it's not distacting enough to take away from the fun of this game.

14. lightbringer

lightbringer Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Hey guys, this is the developer of Streetball.

With my busy schedule I'm not going to be able to get to a gameplay video in the next couple of days, but I agree - a gameplay video is pretty important to get a good idea of the game.

If I come across any decent gameplay videos posted soon I'll be sure to post them here.

15. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I played the game for a few minutes last night and I really liked it. It definitely reminds me of NBA Jam, which is a very good thing. There's not a lot of variation, but I would recommend it of you're interested. I think it's a lot of fun.

16. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    From the developer

re: updating game

17. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    I bought the game today on a whim, and I think it is decent. The following is for the dev:

1) The controls are a little difficult at times. For example, switching direction when you get to the other side of the court...it takes a very big movement to switch momentum. I would really like the game better if the accelerometer control was an option, but a transparent D pad was also provided. It would make the game even better!

2) Please add stats! It would be cool to track your player and create a player name. Career mode would be even better, but stats is a must for me. I was disappointed that I finished a game and that was it. Even my solitaire game keeps stats. This is a must for a 5 star rating IMHO.

3) The dunks are cool, but the 3 pointers are kind of pointless. Your probability of making a dunk vs a 3 pointer seems random. You can dunk from the free throw line, but you make maybe one in six three pointers. Makes the game a little too easy to win. If you could figure out a way to combine the HORSE scribble with 3 point shots, you would have a cool thing. For example, when a player shoots a three pointer, the game pauses and the line comes up (like in HORSE)...the player then has to draw the line to make the three. That way three pointers would require some sort of skill

4) A button or method for basic dribbling moves is a must IMHO. For example, a crossover or behind the back move would just add to the fun and believability of the game.

All-in-all, it is a great start. I do not regret the purchase, but I leave it at 3 1/2 stars for now. If improved, this is a must have 5 star app for any sports fans.

For the dev: If you want to ask me anything about the game or my ideas above, just pm me. I am more than happy to help, and I would like nothing more than seeing this game get even better and sell more. Thanks!

18. GreenLightJerky

GreenLightJerky Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Senior support engineer, jerky guru
    California
    how is the animation of player movement?
    Looks stiff by the screen shots.

19. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    IMO, the animation and player movement is pretty fluid. It takes getting used to the accelerometer use. Keep in mind that you can adjust the calibration in the options menu for the vertical movement. If you are concerned about the animation, wait for the video...it will help.

20. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    1. Animation is fine. Agree that greater animation, i.e. wrt fancier dribbling would help to sell the game.

2. Virtual D-pad: Agreed. This greatly improved the gameplay of Pocketsports Football, which also started with accelerometer movement.

3. Career mode/tournaments/stats: should be part of every complete game. See for example the issues lodged with Touchsports Tennis.