iPad Street Fighter X Tekken by Capcom

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by banger1103, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Does this have retina support? I know the other Capcom fighters don't...

2. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    #82 dnk, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    Game Impressions

I just finished the single player mode (on easy of course, as I'm not familiar with SF x T) and it unlocks new mode: TRIAL, where you can practice your combo.

That's a nice touch to give more game modes as you progress instead of giving everything straight away. That encourages people to actually finish the game with different main characters to unlock their respective trial modes.

For iPhone 4 owners: It runs smoothly. It's not butter smooth like Soul Calibur, but it's very responsive and not laggy - which is what matters in this game. So the animation isn't 60fps but the controls feel as responsive as SF4 and SF4 Volt, not like MvC 2 (which I deleted after several minutes).

3. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    Universal but no iCade support? bummer!

4. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Game Impressions

I see three match modes: Ranked match, Player match, Friend match.

I'm not sure if we can play online friendly match since none of my gamecenter friends has this game yet and I can only invite them, but I'm quite sure we can do friendly match via wifi too.

5. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    On iPhone/iPod yes.

On the third gen iPad, no. It's upscaled, so it's not fully jagged, but it's not Retina and nowhere near as sharp as it is on iPhone.

See, someone asks a question and if I can help, I answer it. Unlike the rest in here who ignored the very question from me, three times. :rolleyes:

6. oily_chi

oily_chi Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2012
    game dev
    Where's the adaptation?

I love SF, but having played earlier iOS versions, I don't know why anyone would play a touchscreen version over a controller version.

Already, adapting to playing with a gamepad for me was hard enough, but reducing the controls and putting it on a touch screen is useless and exploitative.

If you're not gonna innovate -- adapt your brand, your game to *truly* function on a touchscreen -- then get off the platform.

Perhaps this view is too rigid, so my question is, besides the fact we love SF, does anyone have a good reason for playing this on iphone?

Cheers

7. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    I no longer own any of the major two consoles having got bored of them and sold them, and I refuse to pay £40 for a video game anymore.

8. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    The problem is that Capcom appears to be merely cashing in with this one. Volt didn't have a pay-to-play-online IAP or an IAP to upgrade your character in ranked mode (this kills the competitiveness of the game). I expect DLC packs with new characters.

9. oily_chi

oily_chi Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2012
    game dev
    @RebornProphet,
    That's a good reason!
    And, having said that, would you like to see more innovation on the part of the dev or, is "porting" the game we love in a "good enough" way...good enough?

10. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Has anyone see other arenas than the dino, the club, the junkyard and the roof? With low res textures, only 10 chars and if this are the only arenas i m trying to figure out why they need 1,2 gb... I haven't try this on my iPhone but it doesn't seem so impressive on my iPad3.

11. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    What's your question? Sorry I just follow the thread after buying the game and posted my impressions at once. (Those were my first 2 posts in a couple of months!)

12. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    It's a shame that capcoms iOS fighters are all capped at 20 fps or something, maybe it's 30 but it doesn't feel too smooth or fluid I should say. Bought the game anyways, price will only go up for now. I am thankful they use 3d models though but they seem to be recreated for the iOS rather than straight port from consoles but still a huge step up from the sprite mess of volt.

13. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    The question I answered, having finally decided "To hell with it" and bought the game, was the one I asked a few times earlier in the thread.

Had someone replied and told me it wasn't Retina enabled on the new iPad, I wouldn't have bought it, but it's only £2 I suppose.

14. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
  15. BTNLegend

BTNLegend Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Canada
    Dammit! I used up my iTunes money on something else yesterday and today I check out this site and this is released. I've been waiting for this all summer long and now it's finally here at just $2.99. I have to get it today ASAP.

I hope they add Ibuki and Juri Han to this game. Those are characters they have yet to add to the mobile Street Fighter games and I'm a big fan of them.

-crosses fingers-

16. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Oh well I don't have an iPad so even if I had read your question earlier I would've 'ignored' it too.

Anyway, paid the same price for Marvel vs Combat 2 as well and I feel this one is worth so much more than that terrible, terrible release, lol. Even with a fraction of character and sets, it's still a better game than MvC2 (and many others I bought at full price on day 1).

17. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    I'm quite sure they have friendly via Wifi (but who reads through the comments right?). You just have to add them first via gamecenter.

18. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Obviously people who don't have an iPad would have ignored it. Anyway, I answered the other guys question, which hopefully helped him out ... that's all that matters.

19. Houmous

Houmous Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm trying to beat the game with all char to see if it unlocks a hiden one. I let you know.

20. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Good luck but I doubt there's a hidden char.