Street Fighter II

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by NotYou, Mar 26, 2009.

1. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head

NGPC = Neo Geo Pocket Color?

2. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    by button mashing i wasn't referring to randomly pounding controllers i was referring to the intesity and activity when fighting. I "need" the physical response of buttons when playing a game like SF, not the randomness that plagues some touch controls. i guess my gamer-talk isn't up to standards ha ;)

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #23 NotYou, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
    I'm really a little surprised that this isn't getting a lot more attention. I've seen so many posts by people wanting this game.

I'm excited for it. I used to play SFII all the time a a kid. Hopefully the controls will work out well.

Don't forget about 3.0 coming out. They'll be able to have an add on controller. I doubt they'll wait for it, but we at least know it's coming.

4. #24 wastedyuthe, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
    Yeah, I just think a lot of people, like myself, are a little dubious as to how they'll pull it off.

Me too! I remember having it on the SNES- it was still good although it was slower (I'm talking about the first version they released for the system). I used to fancy the socks off Chun-Li. I still would ;)

5. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    What are you talking about?:p

6. Haha! I edited my post now you corrected it anyway. Did you have it on the SNES NotYou?

7. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I see how it is:mad:

Yeah, I had it on SNES. Actually, my cousin had it first, but we played it all the time. In total, I've probably spent more time on that game than any other.

8. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Yep.

Again, the types of combos one would usually see in arcades and which were thought pretty impossible on a portable system (due to the layout differences, smaller buttons, etc.) were perfectly possible in SNK's NGPC fighting games.

The "big head" graphics tended to fool people into thinking they were dumbed down versions of the arcade games. They weren't. They were full fighting games. And SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium (SNK's version of the crossover for NGPC) was actually, IMHO, better than Capcom's first arcade version of the fight. The balance is better, all the characters have ALL of their moves (a point of contention among SNK fans who saw stuff like Iori and Kyo stripped of autoguard, for instance, in Capcom's version), and the game engine itself not only acts like a crossover of Street Fighter and King of Fighters, but also allows to choose the "isms" separately. So if you just want to have a Vs. match against a friend using the Capcom style "ism", you can, and it's like having a pocket Street Fighter game that doesn't suck. ;)

9. Man the size of those SNES cartridges! I remember the first SF2 being slow, but then they bought out the second version, what was it, Turbo? That was way faster- made me wonder what they did wrong to make the first version as slow as it was when the SNES could clearly cope. At least we know the iPhone version won't suffer in the same way- it should be smooth as silk, theoretically.

Huh? :D

10. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I remember that. After playing the "Turbo" version, the original was almost unplayable because it seemed so slow.

11. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    Lot's of fighting game fans here- let's get some online going!

I can do:

XBL @ s0mah
    SFII: HDRemix, SFIV, and Soulcalibur 4

PSN @ Hurrayforbombs
    SFII: HDRemix, SFIV, Killzone 2 (lol)

imo let's see all of u Ken scrubs and ur spammy FDPs.

12. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    LoL...

SF2 Was the first game I ever stood in line for! My mother allowed my brother and I to miss school and wait outside Rhino videogames all morning to get it. :)

13. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I remember when "championship addition" came out and you could finally play as Vega and Sagot. Bison and Balrog are ehhhh....

14. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I think that a 2D fighter could be awesome for iPhone. I don't think SF2 will be it though! SF2 was pretty fast and hectic (difficult to control) and capcom have been pretty lazy with their games so far (so they won't bother trying to get the controls working)! :(

As for controls i think these might work in a slower game?
    • Left/right movement via tilt (virtual d-pad is not accurate enough for this style of game)
    • Jump via up flick on screen
    • Duck via down flick (flick + hold to stay ducking)
    • Buttons for punch and kick
    • Tilt up or down slightly to block or parry?
    • Gestures used for specials i.e. the uppercut might be an "U" shape or fireball left/right 'U' shape.
    • Combos would be the issue - probably not really feasible unless the system is pretty slow?