Strategy Game Maps

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by TommyBs, Apr 16, 2018.

1. TommyBs

TommyBs New Member

Apr 16, 2018
    #1 TommyBs, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Hi all,

My first post here, been reading for a while as a lurker but decided to take the plunge and create an account and ask a question!

I'm currently in the process of building my first Strategy Game for iOS. I've always been a huge fan of the strategy genre and after building other types of games I wanted to focus on my favourite style.

My game is a turned based strategy game and I've got most of the logic built, the AI just needs a bit of refining. Other than that I'm just in the process of creating some content for it such as maps and the thought occurred to me about what would really make a great map for turn based strategy game. So I thought I would ask here and see what people's opinions are. Now in my game there's no 'resources' as such. The number of countries you control determines how many armies you have (it's quite simple in that regard) so bear that in mind. Each 'player' also always starts in random locations with multiple countries (the board is fully owned in that regard). For what it's worth the maps are designed 'upfront' as well not dynamically at run time so I have full control over their creation.

Some first thoughts of mine were:

• 'groups' of countries with only 1 or 2 entry points
    • other larger areas that will be hotly contested
    • randomising armies to start with so people focus on key area first
    • Visually adding little easter eggs and details on the maps to appeal

If anyone has any other thoughts based on the game mechanics I described above it would be great to hear them!

Thanks for having me!

2. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Try starting folks with a cluster of areas rather than a piece here and a piece there. Always have three ways to a location to make it hareder to turtle. Turtlers make games drag, so avoiding them is a good idea. Maybe bias the distrubutiin so players have three territories neighboring each other and others sprinkled on the map?

3. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    The most important thing is to have variety between maps that provide differentiation in tactics. Single entry point groups of countries can be a bad thing, but if they are rare, the player has to develop new tactics for other maps. Also vary how you randomise armies, etc.

4. Brianna Taeuber

Jul 24, 2018
    Female
    I saw a trick looking for advice on worldbuilding. A lot of writers use it, but it could also be helpful towards game map design.

Take a bunch of multiple sided dice (like for D&D), shake them up, and drop them out of the bag onto a table. Trace around them for a rough outline and assign different types of terrain to the different numbers.

That will help with the randomness of the maps themselves. Then you can decide where to put the basics/objectives.