Strategy: board games and turn-based

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Obiter, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Obiter

Obiter Active Member

Nov 23, 2008
    medical research into the mind of today's gamer
    high above the din
    Anyone know if there are games or projects in the works that will bring titles like Settlers of Catan to the iPhone?

I am aware (and enjoy) the current iteration of Lux, the Risk clone, but I was hoping for something with a little more meat to it. I am also aware that a Final Fantasy Tactics-type game has been released for the iPhone in Japan, but am not sure if there are plans to bring it to North American audiences.

And what about turn-based games like Heroes of Might and Magic? This genre is totally perfect for mobile gaming.

2. mek

mek Well-Known Member

#2 mek, Nov 23, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
    best one as of yet is Reign of Swords

http://appshopper.com/games/reign-of-swords

I am waiting for more Turb based Strategy games

and lux touch is good, but the delux version, whenever it hits should be a much improvement, but hard to complain cause its free

3. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    settlers of catan would be awsoooooooooooooooooooome :eek:

4. Obiter

Obiter Active Member

Nov 23, 2008
    medical research into the mind of today's gamer
    high above the din
    Ah good find man, somehow I missed this.

If you've played them, would you say this is most like FF:Tactics, Ogre Battle, Fire Emblem, or Advance Wars?

It sure as hell would. What someone should do, at the very least, is port over the opensource game Pioneers to the iPhone (and then also release it for OSX!).

I forgot to mention that some online strategy games like Ikariam are completely compatible with the iPhone Safari. However, that particular game offers no specific interface for mobiles so it can be cumbersome and slow to manage.

5. twoboxen

twoboxen Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Settledown

I just released a Catan clone game on the appstore called "Settledown". Please give it a try and let me know how I can improve it!

Thanks!

6. Mathieu914

Mathieu914 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Student
    Canada, Québec
    There is KDice and Dragonlords.

7. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    [app]Kolonists[/app] - $2 Settlers of Catan clone

8. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Have you tried either Mecho Wars or UniWar? I haven't played either of them personally (though I own them both), but I would classify them as Advance War style games. There's also a good TBS called Strongholds that was recently updated. You can find my review for that game on TheAppera web site. I enjoyed it because the mechanics weren't like any TBS I had played before.

9. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    I played too much Advance Wars in the past and now it's hard to find something that's near quality to it. Mecho Wars should be better after the updates, though it's still a long ways away from being Advance Wars quality. Uniwar, I disliked.

10. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Unfortunately, I think we'll be hard pressed to find something as good as Advance Wars. It's one of those rare games where the designers actually considered the platform they were designing for. Not to mention the fact it was just plain fun. Fire Emblem was pretty good too, and in some ways I preferred it simply because I like the fantasy scenario better than a traditional military one. I'd snap up either one in a heartbeat if they came to the iPhone, though.

11. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    As far as Catan-like games, I've recently been enjoying Kolonists a lot.

I also enjoy UniWar, Archon (though it's more like chess than strategy) and Strongholds, which is like a card-battle game.

12. bware218

bware218 Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2009
    software engineer, teacher, musician
    Bay Area, CA
    Looking for Strategy Board Game??? Try mine out!!!

So my app, Tic Tac Toe Ten, is no Settlers of Catan, but it is an intriguing strategy board game that my users have been having lots of fun with since its release a few weeks ago. Check it out and let me know what you think.

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    The inability to save kills it for me. Once this is added it should be fun.

If just looking for good strategy board/card games you may want to do a search for "Reiner Knizia" a famous German boardgame designer that has two of his games converted to iphone (and a third one any day now).

Also Zooloretto is pretty cool in an abstract Settlers kind of way.

14. Beezle

Beezle Active Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Did you check out Aevum Obscurum?
    http://appshopper.com/games/aevum-obscurum
    I haven't played this so far, but it sounds like the game you are seeking here.

15. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member