Strategies/Tips for Outwitters!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by backtothis, Jul 6, 2012.

1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    New async addiction. The topic deserves a thread, especially with a player base this large. Lots of depth in this "simple" TBS.

Here's a number of tips from the official forums for the game to start this off: http://onemanleft.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=120

2. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Sacrificing scouts is always half the game. First of all, it gives you map vision, so you know what your opponent is up to. Second, they can easily get some quick kills early in the game by taking out your opponents sniper and medic, since they're so mobile. You don't want a single turn to go by where you don't know what your opponent it up to. Late in the game, you can try to take one of your opponent's bonus spots by landing a runner on it. That way, you can prevent them from getting an extra action point on the next turn even if you're runner gets taken out if they don't have two units in range of the bonus spot.

Also, it's easy to sneak runners around since they have such high line of sight. Skirt around your opponent's heavy units and chip at away at their base when you can. That way, they'll be forced to move heavy units back or spend a few points making a runner, moving it, and attacking with it. I normally don't use my medic on runners, but that could be useful if you know that your opponent doesn't have any heavy units near their base. That way, they'll need two turns to take out your runner with their own runner. You can hit the base an extra time.

If you're going to use snipers, or don't want the one you start out with to go to waste, make sure you use the medic on it, so it doesn't get taken out by your opponent's runner during the second or third turn of the game. Lastly, makes walls with your units to block your opponent's line of vision. It'll prevent your opponent from getting runners near your base.

3. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    So far, it feels like I'm the only that starts off every game and generally every turn by making scouts. Most people I play tend to make soldiers or use their points moving units around. Haven't played a defensive game yet because of this. Besides calculating/planning stuff for yourself, it's also important to attempt to use up your opponents points by making him catch your runners. This frequently costs 3 action points (make runner, move, attack) or forces him to move a heavy unit back. This way, you also never lose map vision.

4. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #4 ArtNJ, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
    In my opinion, your thoughts on runners are a little off Backtothis. Runners should not be "sacrificed". They can be put in a position where they will be traded, runner for runner, but putting them in a position where they can be taken with no retaliation is generally bad, particularly on maps where you can only spawn one unit at a time. While it only costs 2 wits to get that runner into position (generally) an enemy unit only has to spend 2 wits to take it (one to move, one to attack). Sometimes the enemy unit's move actually puts it in a more advanced spot, but even the move is neutral, its break even on wits. So unless you are misplacing the enemy unit, its break even on the wit trade, and if you have no retaliation kill, you just have one less unit on the board then your adversary. Basically, you have to consider that spawns are a limited resource just like wits.

5. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #5 backtothis, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
    Yeah, it's definitely not a very effective tactics on maps with one spawn. I still don't have anything solid for the small maps. Large maps are all about map control though in my opinion.

Edit: Lots of new posts in the tips thread on official forums for Outwitters.

6. doughogg

doughogg Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Mac Consultant, Research and Promotion Director
    Los Angeles
    Watch Outwitters Champion Matches on Computer or

Hi,

Outwitters is my favorite game. In fact it is now the only game that I play because of limited time. I can sneak in a move when I am in line somewhere.

An Outwitters fan has created a website where you can now watch Outwitters champion matches (and others) on your computer or in Outwitters on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad.

You can also post your own matches, see the ranks of top players and more:

http://osn.codepenguin.com/replays

To watch a match on your ios device instead of a computer, click on the dropdown arrow to the right of view and choose "View in Outwitters".

The highest level in Outwitters is Super Titan, so to learn from the best, watch their matches. I am especially impressed with the 2-on-2 matches where there are interesting interactions of the special characters, such as teleporting a bombster to attack an opponent's base.

:)

Doug

7. Prodigy_BE

Prodigy_BE Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    I use my healer to give the scouts 2 health. Your opponent can't kill them anymore buy just jumping towards it with their own scout, and it is a lot easier to take out an enemies sniper as well.

Generally, not attacking right away, but beefing up some units, has always worked well for me.

8. doughogg

doughogg Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Mac Consultant, Research and Promotion Director
    Los Angeles
    Outwitters Strategy

Recently I learned a lesson in Outwitters:

More on Scouts -- if you plan on moving a scout (also known as "Runner"), move it first if possible and then STOP and look at the board. Playing a 2-on-2 match, I played a scout and then made another move without really looking and missed the fact that there was a hidden bombster which my partner and I could have easily taken out if I had stopped to look around.

:)

Doug