iPad Strategic Assault $.99

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NotYou, Nov 26, 2008.

1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I have to ask the obligatory question: Is it worth it?:confused:

2. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Heck yeah! I bought the game at $2 and I don't have any regrets. It's pretty fun and a great strategy game. :)

Hope that helps you make your decision

3. QuickWit

QuickWit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Video Writer, Director, Producer
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I also bought it when it first came out and I've had a pretty good time playing it. Unfortunately I've got some other games on there that I enjoy more so I've only put about two hours into it, but that was mostly before the update and I still liked it well enough.

For a buck it should be a nice pick up if you like this style of game

4. davidmdowning42

davidmdowning42 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    I certainly think it's worth it. I think it was worth $2. But you should check out the other forum about this game before you decide. It definitely has its weaknesses. I think it's really hard and the resource acquistion system blows. I am stuck on level 5. I don't see how I'll ever be able to move my fingers fast enough to beat it. Anybody else getting stuck? Am I just a wuss?

5. XenGames

XenGames Active Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Hi,

I'm sorry you think it is too hard. Have you tried on the easy difficulty setting? The game is definitely beatable even on the normal difficulty, some people have even complained it is too easy in fact. Guess you can't please everyone. It is intended to be a hard game though, which is why we added the easy difficulty option.

The resource gathering method of owning strategic buildings instead of harvesting minerals does give the game a different feel to other RTS games, and makes it more fast paced. You should definitely send out units quickly to capture buildings.

The new update to 1.4 includes a better tutorial and improved scrolling and unit AI so hopefully some of that will help. Landscape mode didn't quite make it into this version but should be in the next update.

thanks,

Simon

6. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I had "sniped" this in Appsniper.
    Now at one buck I bought it, hope its worth it.

7. XenGames

XenGames Active Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Please let me know whether you like the game or not, and if you have any suggestions to improve it either post them here or email them to support [at] xengames [dot] com

We are very keen to get feedback on how to improve the game in future updates.

thanks,

Simon

8. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I just got it too. Nothing can be that bad for $1.

9. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    #9 istopmotion, Nov 26, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
    I'm pretty sure you'll like the game. It can be a little challenging at times but usually that makes the game more fun. It's not a junk game either, so you definitely got a good deal at $1. I honestly think this game is worth it at around $3, especially because there isn't anything like it on the iphone at the moment.

The game is great so far (I think I'm on level 5 or 6). I can't wait for the landscape mode update :) I do have two suggestions though. The main one that I'd like to see in the future is the ability to zoom in and out. Another update I wouldn't mind having is more tanks and machines to pick from. Otherwise a great game, definitely worth it. :)

10. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I bought it. It's hard to control, ugly (the gui, not the units), the sound is really really bad and there's no intro. The bad things even start with tapping the first menu item which does not highlight, so you wonder if it worked. And there it goes on and on :(.

11. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    So far, for a dollar its ok .
    The controls take a little time getting used to, the graphics are retrolicious and I think everything goes too fast. Give me time to think and react!

Also I wonder if there is a rock paper scissor system implemented like in other strategy games (one unit is strong against one type of unit but weak against another) because one thing that pissed me off was, that when i finally had helicopters the enemy had no problem shooting them down with his TANKS.
    I mean shouldn't flying units be only vulnerable to anti-air units?
    If not, whats the point of having them?

12. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Helicopter = fastest, normal attack power, lowest defense
    Tank = Slowest, highest attack power, high defense
    Boat = normal-fast speed, normal attack power, normal defense

Something like that ^ The thing helicopters are great for is to go to the resource towers or whatever they're called, then you fly back to the base and use them in case the other army gets a resource towe. If you send a tank, it'll take an hour before it gets there, so helicopters ARE worth it :)

13. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I'm currently stuck at the mission were there are only two strategic buildings and you start out with a large army but no resources. I just get destroyed.
    Any suggestions?

14. davidmdowning42

davidmdowning42 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    #14 davidmdowning42, Nov 29, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
    Okay, I am a total bufoon. It's totally not too hard on easy mode. I dunno why I never noticed that setting. In fact, even though I complained, I was eventually able to beat the levels on normal mode. I just didn't think that I'd ever get to build the more expensive units with the pressure so high. So nw after I beat it, I'll proabaly go back and play of again on normal, which gives this game considerable replay value tap boot! The scrolling is better now too. Excellent game, it's well worth far more than a dollar. Huzzah!

P.S. Too me, the chief advantage of air units has always been their indifference to terrain. It would seem that this game has no air/ground specific weapons. Figured that out pretty quick when I saw there was only one kinda turret. That's just fine with me. I always play Protoss.

15. freon

freon Active Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Is that the same game I had on my sharp zaurus like.. 5 years ago? Or is it a new version?

16. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    Yes, it is the same game. BTW, Pac-Man is the same game you had on your Atari 2600 25 years ago.

17. freon

freon Active Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Just trying to figure out if it's all the same maps etc, and what the improvements were made to it. It was pretty cool back then at least.