iPad Strategery Update

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by mek, Jan 18, 2009.

1. mek

mek Well-Known Member

talked with the developer of Strategery -->http://appshopper.com/games/strategery

Im excited to see what "More awesomeness" awaits

2. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Awesome, thanks for letting us know. Love this simple/addictive game :D

3. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I really hope for winnings/losses at least.

4. dboeren

dboeren Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Excellent news, this is one of my most played games. Looking forward to the update.

5. adin

adin Well-Known Member

Hoping for:

-Caching of Dice
    -Better map generation (compared to Dicewars & KDice)
    -Selectable # of opponents
    -Randomization of player order (so you're not always going first)
    -Improvements to the RNG -- while I haven't taken the time to do the full statistical analysis, it seems to get very "trendy" at times. (1 army cells holding off multiple 2-4 army attacks)
    -Improvements to AI (make some *really* odd choices)

6. soccerstud652

soccerstud652 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    When is this update slated for?

7. mek

mek Well-Known Member

update released...

8. soccerstud652

soccerstud652 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    The win/loss keep all of your games up to this point on record, not just games played after the update.

The automatic placement of your dots on border territory really makes the game alot more manageable. Great update.

Also utilizes the shake feature for new maps.

9. Ph4ntom4

Ph4ntom4 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    When I fist got this game, I was sort of disappointed because whenever you got new armies they always got put into countries that I didnt want them in. With the update I think it is now a fantastic game and much more strategical because you can place your own armies anywhere you want. Great job dev!

10. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    I really like this update. The different options that were put in really make for different game play. Land Grab is a little easy on the easier difficulty levels, but on Brutal it seems quite balanced. And although I don't want to take the time to individually place armies, I really like the borders placement option.

11. swarmster

swarmster Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    The update shows up on my iPod, but I get a "the item you've requested is not available" message when I click on it. Maybe it's still working its way through the system? But other people here already have it, which makes me wonder if it's been retracted for some reason.

Anyway, I may be the only person here who thinks this, but I'm worried about the additions mentioned for manual placement of armies. Now, I can't get the update, so I don't know exactly how it's implemented (i.e., is that mode totally optional? Is it tracked separately in your stats?), but people are wrong to say that the random placement reduced the strategy involved in the game.

If anything it made the game more strategic and realistic (and less of a hassle). You can't 100% predict and control everything in a war. It requires your strategy be strong enough to withstand the occasional blow that comes from not getting reinforcements or new recruits in the area you need them most on the turn you need them. It keeps things from getting too predictable.

I don't mind it being an option, since clearly other people think differently, and it'll be interesting to play on occasion for a change, but I hope it doesn't intrude on the well-established, "Dice Wars"-esque, randomly-influenced strategy of the past.

12. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    This was one of my favorite games before the update, the new features make it even better

13. Manual place of armies just say you have 7 bonus armies...click on any of your own squares to add one..then it says 6 armies...etc. Works well. I think the border though is great and speeds up gameplay. Not much strategy to this game still. It's the classic A attacks B so A is now weak so C pounds A. But if you call that strategy to wait and be C then ok...I'll give you that. Still I have fun with this quick one.

14. swarmster

Jan 27, 2009
    Am I seriously the only one that can't download the update? I can't even get the Stategery product page to load in iTunes. Says it's not available in the US store or something (I am in the US). Kind of a coincidence that I'm the only one bashing manual placement and the only one that can't download the update, lol, but it's starting to get annoying.

I've updated 3-4 other apps in the last 24 hours and they all went easy as usual.

15. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I think Strategery might just be having a technical problem. I was able to download the update, but I did it right away (possible just at it became available). Later, I was browsing through the games section, and I tried to click on Strategery to read up on some of the reviews, and I was unable to view the game description. I got the error about it not being available.

Maybe you should email the developer just to let him know you are having an issue. While they most likely know about it, it will give them an idea about how widespread it is.

16. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    #16 synagence, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
    Its coming up "Not currently available in UK store" too

17. swarmster

Jan 27, 2009
    Sent an e-mail to the dev/devs. I'll update if I hear anything back.

18. swarmster

Jan 27, 2009
    No reply, but I just checked and the update works for me now.

19. swarmster

Jan 27, 2009
    Just figured I'd tie up loose ends: The dev wrote me back letting me know it's all set, explaining it as an "administrative mixup" like we probably all had imagined.

I have to say, that's one of the things I like most about the iPod gaming community. More often than not you actually can get personal responses to your questions or comments from the developers themselves. You sure don't see that on consoles or PC.

20. dboeren

dboeren Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I love the game and the update.

One small suggestion though: Perhaps in the next version we could have the game remember what speed you set it on? Every time I exit and reenter I need to manually set it back to maximum speed.