iPad Strategery. Fun Risk/DiceWars type game.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Aegis, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Aegis

Aegis Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I had to pull myself away from this game.
    Its a very well done if graphically simplistic world conquest strategy game.
    you can read the description of the game to see how to play, but the game is basically a dice per dot and you roll vs the other properties dice to see who rolls highest to win.

There are several difficulty levels, from the very easy to brutal, which lives up to its name.

you can also choose how large a map you'd like, small medium or large.
    I personally prefer the larger ones.

you can control the speed of the computer player as well, which is very neat, there is a little arrow slide on the bottom right of your screen. so if you want to follow every detail or just want it to go super quick so that its your turn again. whatever you prefer.

you cant play multiplayer online, but im hoping eventually that feature is added, currently you can play vs the computer or you can pass and play with friends.(which is a nice touch)

If you have played Dice Wars, the gameplay is virtually identical.
    If you enjoyed Risk, Virtual Conquest, Lux or that type of game, you will enjoy this game.

I feel its well worth the $1 price tag and recommend you get it.

My only complaint, the sound is very very basic. bleeps and swooshes, and a little tada when you win, after my first game I just played it silent.

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    The best I've played is Luxtouch awesome ease of play Risk clone to the T. I may check this one out.

3. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Link please?

4. polyplay

polyplay Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    hmmm... I think I'm going to wait a bit. Some more reviews and an update would probably push me over the edge.

I would usually bite for a $.99 game that plays like Dice Wars, but I've been getting $.99 games like mad this week (Sally's Salon, Chinese Chess, Map, etc.) and frankly I'd rather put it towards a good steak.

5. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm going to wait until Lux Deluxe is released. I love Lux touch, so the full version should really rock!

6. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    $.99 towards a steak? Wow, food really IS cheap on the states.

7. MacGyver

MacGyver Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Looks like a lot of effort was put in here - you can tell by the polished graphics and their website. Giving it a try.

8. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Well if you save .99c on games like 10-35 times (depending on your steak taste) you could get a steak.

9. MacGyver

MacGyver Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Well I bought it and its in fact quite simplistic. A game takes about 1-2 minutes, if that. The UI is very nice, the sounds are okay and gameplay is just clicking on you oponents (basically risk but easier).

Its worth 99cents for sure. Needs to be made more complex though, with clear rules. If they wanted to charge more, online play would be the way to do it :)

10. VirtualAlex

Dec 6, 2008
    I played dircewars to "try it" and I loved it. It's exactly the same. So it's awesome.

11. polyplay

polyplay Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yeah, I said $.99 towards a steak. Unfortunately, the prices for those things don't seem to be tied to gas prices. :)

I'm still pretty skeptical about this game. How many "countries" are on the biggest board? Are there many small weak ones or fewer large strong ones? And how does the dice mechanism work? Is it like Dice Wars, where the defending area wins on ties?

12. VirtualAlex

Dec 6, 2008
    #13 VirtualAlex, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
    The dice mechanism is identical. When you attack, you roll 1d6 for each circle in your country. The map is random so the amount of countries is variable and so is their size. The rules are slightly different than dice wars I realized. In this game the amount of territories to control that are CONNECTED is what is most important.

Game is excellent and fun. Except, I am not sure, but I feel that going first is a huge advantage.

Here is a gripe I have though. You are always playing with 5 players. You can't seem to change the number of players in options. Which actually seems like an oversight. I mean, you can adjust difficulty, map size, and even play with human players yet you can't just play 1v1? Doesn't seem to make any sense. The game also lacks any music. But thats not bad, you can just play your own.

13. VirtualAlex

Dec 6, 2008
    Ok I have literally been playing this game for like 1.5 hours. It's really addicting. It's almost like I can feel myself learning how to play it better. It is a very fun risk-like game. I am hoping an update comes soon to adress the issues I have pointed out.

Letting player 1 choose what color he is.
    Randomizing turn order (I feel going first is an advantage)
    Choosing number of opponents (currently it's 5 and can't be changed)

Those changes would make this game totally godlike.

14. mek

mek Well-Known Member

soo tempting

i love dicewars

we should try to get the developer on these forums by leaving a review in the appstore directing him/her here

15. Aegis

Aegis Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
  16. JamesC

JamesC Active Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Tactics

Absolutely loving this game. but I only win about 60% of the time, and so was hoping someone could offer advice?

Some notes so far

- Extra armies are awarded based on your largest connected area (I hadn't realised that until i read the web site!!)
    - it seems to be a good idea to grab lots of lands at the beginning
    - let the other people fight amongst themselves and then dive in when their armies are depleted
    - deliberately luring them out by sacrificing an area is often a good plan if they have a full land and you do not
    - try and break up your opponents land if you can (so they get less reinforcements)
    - starting with your lands all clumped together is a big advantage
    - remember that lands with a single army on aren't a threat.. yet.
    - attacking full lands even though you wont win often seems to be a good idea.

and a slightly odd one that I'm worried i'm imagining...

- pink always seems to do the best, so kill him ASAP

17. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I love this game and it's definitely worth a dollar, but I'd be willing to pay a little extra for more content.

I'm also in need of some advice too as I can barely beat it on medium as it is. If anyone has some, please post :)

18. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    This is one of my favorite games - I can ususally win on hard by controlling one corner of the map, building up my "armies" and then slowly expanding outward (only attacking one or two neigboring zones per turn)

19. Leadfoot5

Leadfoot5 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Really enjoying this game. Is it correct that there is no way to move friendly armies between owned countries? Sort of like a "fortify" turn in Risk...