Netflix Stranger Things: 1984 (by BonusXP)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Ivica, Oct 4, 2017.

1. becoming_drea

becoming_drea New Member

Oct 8, 2017
    How. The eff. Did you know *spoiler*?

2. DinoHunter

DinoHunter Member

Oct 5, 2017
    A little birdy told me. :p

3. se99jmk

se99jmk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    I beat three dungeons, opened app on another day and it had fully reset. Uninstalled.

4. RazvanClau

RazvanClau Member

Sep 4, 2017
    This game is better than a lot of paid games of this type.

I'm surprised that this is free. There are no IAPs, no ads, nothing. For all intents and purposes, this may be the best free movie tie-in I've ever seen. It is a solid experience and it is charming in a way. It makes a lot more sense if you've seen the movie as the game doesn't do a lot in terms of exposition. I've played 10% so far and no bugs or technical problems. It does consume the battery a bit fast though.

5. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Is everyone who is loosing their progress going to the menu and selecting Quit Game and then tapping on yes when it tells you it will save and quit to the main menu? I just want to be prepared in case that might not always work.

6. Jinxtah

Jinxtah Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2017
    #46 Jinxtah, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Ok, I wasn't going to play this game, because I haven't seen the series, nor did I like the concept of following some 10 year olds immitating the Scooby gang or whatever. However after seeing all the positive feedback here, I decided to watch a gameplay video for a minute, and it didn't look half bad, so I decided to install it as it was free anyway...

And holy shit it's sctually a good game. Rather zelda'esque I guess. Really retro, and very well done. Even the music isn't bad. So while I would have never paid for it to find out if it was good, I would probably have tipped the devs after the game was done with 5 or so dollars if that was an option (like an IAP tip jar thing for unlocking some exciting thing), and this wasn't some huge commercial for a new season of a tv show. I hope they make an actual game sone time. They clearly know what they're doing.

I just entered dungeon 5, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Well done, devs.

*Edit: I'm now done with the game. Got all the collectibles except for 2 hearts (8 & 26). One of them is in the library, but I can't be bothered to go back in and hit every single locker to get the notepad. No clue about the other one.

96.5% complete will have to be good enough for me! Took me 5 hours exactly.

I only experienced a single bug, though it happened a few times. You could get trapped in a corner by an enemy. Unable to move at all. Luckily you were only backtracking 1 room when dying, but still annoying. Still, that's not bad for a game this well crafted so soon after release.

7. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    The show is so much more than this. Let me put it this way -- I can't stand movies where kids "save the day". I hated Narnia for this reason and even disliked the Harry Potter series. I didn't feel that way at all about the Stranger Things series.

Just watch the first episode form Season One. You'll be hooked.

8. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I first heard of the tv series simply by reading about this game.
    I am playing the game and really enjoying it.
    So I decided to give the tv series a go, and now I'm also hooked. The story line, acting, special effects are all top notch. A real surprise hit for me.

The game has little resemblence to the series but if the intention by the devs was to make more people watch the series
    it certainly worked in my case.

9. Jinxtah

Mar 27, 2017
    Hmm, I mean I might, but it's still a bunch of pre-teens running around playing junior detective, right? It might be well written, but at the end of the day it's not about adults. I'm expected to engross myself in a series revolving around 10 year olds. I guess I'm too old for that to be appealing in any way. But I'll ask around I suppose, and possibly give episode 1 a shot if I'm bored some day.

10. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    That's unfortunate. If the age of protagonists is truly an obstacle for you, Stranger Things is just one excellent show you'll never experience. One of its clear inspirations is Stephen King's It, for instance. Are you able to "engross yourself" in any stories that don't feature a surrogate of you? Honest question.

11. Jinxtah

Mar 27, 2017
    Sure I am. I usually don't much care what or who the protagonist is. Well, other than the Scooby gang, we're seeing here, I guess. It's just hard to care about a mystery thing featuring 12 year olds. They have the personality of a wet paper towel, and the acting experience of much the same. It's hard to give a crap about.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my take on it. What makes it so good, exactly? How do they excel and stand out?

12. mariothebert

mariothebert Member

Oct 9, 2017
    This game is free, that's good. Stranger Things are afoot again in Hawkins, Indiana.
    It's 1984 all over again. Stranger Things: The Game is an action adventure game true .

13. Brygon

Brygon New Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Stuck

I've collected every eggo, videotape, gnome, and heart piece, and beat the main game, yet I'm stuck at 99.3. Anyone know what I'm missing or haven't done?

14. Jinxtah

Mar 27, 2017
    Quit the game. Go to main menu. Check achievements. There is probably one that's not fully complete, like fully upgrade Hopper or so.

15. DinoHunter

DinoHunter Member

Oct 5, 2017
    Did you unlock ALL SEVEN of the characters? You might be missing one, which can only be unlocked once you've collected all the Eggos and deposited them at a certain place.

16. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    This game is such a treat. I just unlocked the 7th character and the movie theatre. I don't have 100% yet, but I'm thinking if holding off until season two releases and—the game tells us—an 8th character. Maybe I'll start over on classic mode.

If you are lurking in this thread just get this game. It's free, but I'd easily pay 4.99 for this, or for a dlc content update. (a new city?!)

I'm going to start a rewatch of season 1 tonight. :)

17. sinanayurt

sinanayurt Active Member

Feb 10, 2015
    This game probably best game of 2017 for me. Because its so much better than many paid games. This was huge suprise for me, completely free a game but completely awesome. Too much underrated in Touch Arcade.

18. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    I am stuck in the game. Might be my own stupidity. I have to enter this building shown on the map but it is completely surrounded by a fence I can't get through. Any helpful advice appreciated.

Attached Files:

19. pmadruga

pmadruga New Member

Oct 28, 2017
    See that brown patch west of where you are trying to get to? There is a pipe there that leads to the compound you are referring to.

20. Sevallis

Sevallis Active Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Male
    Let us know when you find the citizen quest items for the theater boy and the flower shop lady. I just got Max, anyone else think that her
    “psychic attack”
    is some sort of spoiler? I’m three epidodes in and haven’t seen a hint of that yet.

21. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    So FYI this game is now republished under Netflix and requires you to have a Netflix subscription to play. I just checked and the original version is still downloadable from my purchase history and playable.