Universal STRAIN TACTICS (By Touch Dimensions)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    The more hectic screenshots - with the reams of information on the left hand side - are shops or your locker / bought (but unequipped) equipment. You won’t be accessing that in battle.

There are a couple of things that could get finnicky - deploying grenades looks as if it might take a bit of thought, for example. And there are def occasions on which having the rhs menu up whilst in action is necessary (grenades being one of them. Likewise, consumables.)

Tbf, Though, my first experience of battle was almost too straightforward. Admittedly, this is L1 and it’s meant to be easy. And one of my chars did die. Which might suggest I’m doing sth too uncomplicatedly. But, yeah. Some path dragging, some shooting, and done.

I’m sort of tempted to restart, mind, so my char doesn’t die :D But that’s just tinkering / self criticism.

2. DiveSignal

DiveSignal Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Hi HotHamBoy, dev here...

This is definitely meant to be experienced real-time, although there is an active 'playspeed-slider' that you can access at all times, allowing for a full tactical-pause mode where you may issue orders under no-stress 0% speed, 50% speed, 75% speed and 100% speed.

Here is an Old-UI video when there was only pure [full-pause] functionality. No 50%, 75% speed options as reflected in the current version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ObAhjCTBLw&list=PL0jZE8p73RV4WfR605fkZsm-JX7Quadaj&index=5

Procedurally-generated missions in the game do appear and make up 7 missions that are labelled "ruin sites", and offer varying amounts of structural/geometry randomness along with enemy variety.

Permadeath happens as long as your squaddies die and you do not 'bag' them and revive them. If you leave their corpse(s) on a mission site and leave, they are gone for good. So if you experience a team-wipe on a mission gone horribly wrong (i.e have Strain board your helibase and savage everyone in the cabin), there will be no manpower to even bodybag any of your fallen, forcing you to either load-scum or head back to base and rebuild a fresh rookie team. This permadeath system also plays into the idea of units retaining XP. A revived unit is brought back with their XP at point of death, making retaining/recovering squaddies an absolute positive element with no downsides.

3. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Ah.

I assume I should have been carrying a bodybag around with me, then.

I couldn’t see any corpse on the battlefield, which kinda confused me.

4. candyjet

candyjet Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    I found on the tutorial that it is not a good idea to shoot your own team members with the heli, just for a laugh. :eek:

More seriously, it says you can carry bigger weapons for other team members, even if they are too big to equip. How is this done?

5. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Only your top slot is your equipped weapon.

Clear out a lower / larger slot.

Pick up oversized weapon.

It will now be carried, but not equipped. (Can also swap slots to allow this.)

6. candyjet

Aug 25, 2010
    Thanks, Quoad, have got it working now. :D

Having graduated from shooting my own team members, I accidentally had one of them blast the 'printers' in the headquarters. Only slightly fatal for the shooter and it appears you can get the wrecked printer back, by exiting the app then restarting. Fortunately.

7. DiveSignal

DiveSignal Member

Oct 30, 2017
    #27 DiveSignal, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Not to worry Candyjet, Outpost 826(the homebase) replenishes all its own personnel and equipment while you are on mission, at no cost to you :) You will get charged credits for killing allied forces though. Happy drops!

PS: If perma-force fire isn't your thing, there are options in the Start Screen>Settings page to make it stop once you lift your finger.

8. candyjet

Aug 25, 2010
    Any chance of introducing Save slots, where you can reload from a previous save point? I got seriously, repeatedly spanked on one level and have ended up with minus $2500. Wondering whether just to start all over, or grinding repeat levels to get some cash again.

9. Lanster27

Lanster27 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2017
    A first impression

So I bought the game, based on mention of similarity to Door Kickers and I loved that game.

Let's get the negatives out of the way first. I play on iphone 6S and the menu is a bit small (some text are too small to read), but with the help of tactical pause and speed slider, it is only a minor annoyance. Even though the interface is small, the touch aspect is good and I rarely have to repeatedly tap something due to unresponsiveness. The base defence is a nice touch, though I find it a bit annoying after every visit back. Sometimes I just want to visit a Cryotube/shop on a mission map. Maybe a bit of randomness to the base defence is nice.

I've beaten 4 missions and I'm in love with this game. The Decon stage had me stumped for a while, but eventually figured out how to get it done easily (hint: Heli pickups and using troops that cannot go crazy, which is available to recruit just the mission before it). I love that you have to think outside the box for this mission, and it's only the 3rd one (there's around 20-30 scenarios, and you can replay the older ones. Some can even have a difficulty increase when you revisit).

Also want to mention the world building and atmosphere. The maps, the items you can pickup or buy, the meaty sound of the weapons and the music all helps to build a impressive and immersive world. I like the fact that the different cryotubes and shops scattered across the map gives you access to different recruits and weapons, respectively. Or the fact that you can find mostly useless items like cans of beer, cigarettes, magazines that really helps to build the world. And the sound of each weapon firing... woah I can only get so erect (just to clarify, I'm not a fan of guns, but the level of details really is crazy).

Overall, compared to a similar game like Door Kickers, Strain Tactic's tactical gameplay is slightly less complex, but it makes up with the massive roster of recruits, team building, varied enemies, and feel more like a RPG/Real Time Tactics hybrid. As a tactics/strategy gamer, this is my GOTY easily.

10. Lanster27

Apr 20, 2017
    You can grind levels to get quick money. I unintentionally found that the Neurocity mission is really easy if you have a sniper (no chance of collateral damage), then you can revive him at a cryostation and then sell him. The missions gives you ~$1200 and you can sell the cyborg for similar amount. He also drops burst fire pistol that sells for a few hundred. That's all for 3 minutes of work.

You can choose to add the cyborg to your team (though there's a chance of him going rogue, similar to the situation you found him in).

11. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle

You can just use the gun turret on that one. I also think if you buy units out of the vat there, you can sell the items from the unit, then sell the unit and make a profit from it’s asking price.

12. candyjet

Aug 25, 2010
    #32 candyjet, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Thanks for the tips.
    I'm missing something big here. I cannot find a Sniper or Gun Turret to buy. Where are they found?

It is a paranoia level which wrecked my team. They all just turn on each other. Do you just send one man in, to stop them doing this?

Thanks for any advice. We oldie gamers brought up on Pong take a little longer to twig. But I am now very good at the tutorial.

13. vonknut

vonknut Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Pretty complex - but there is a good chance i will geow to love it.

Quick question though:
    ‘Drop item on group to have it go directly to storage’
    -how so you so this? Cant really seem to figure out where to drop things on ground.

Also the ‘hold to overwatch’ button does what?
    Holding it does nothing it seems

14. candyjet

Aug 25, 2010
    The Overwatch thing does work on missions. If you select a team member and hold to over watch, 2 light blue lines appear at right angles to each other, showing the limits of overwatch.

15. Lanster27

Apr 20, 2017
    #35 Lanster27, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    There's no specific Sniper class. Just stick a sniper rifle on someone and they will start sniping. You start off (or at least I did) with 2 combat engineers, Jackel and Vine. Vine comes with a sniper rifle and can serve as a good sniper. As you play, look out for any new recruits with high detection stat as that effectively extends your sniper range.

Before you tackle the paranoia stage, you can pickup a very useful recruit from "Heat" mission's cryo (hint: Not the sweeper guys). Deploy it to the Decon stage and clear out the Strains that's causing paranoia, then deploy the rest of your team. Alternatively you can just deploy one guy and the paranoia won't make you kill your teammates. Just dont deploy him near the friendly tank.

However, there are 2 survivors that will get infected very quickly, so do a heli pickup first (have the pickup over the survivor) and disinfect them right away, then take your time clearing out the strains.

When you dock your heli, there's a big circle that says "Drop Item Ok" to the front of the heli. Once docked, you can drop items in that circle for it to go straight to the locker on your heli.

Regarding overwatch, hold the button and rotate your recruit. You'll see the overwatch arc.

16. candyjet

Aug 25, 2010
    Thanks, Lanster, that's all very helpful.

The game is slowly beginning to make sense. I've used Sear in the team, and he gives an excellent pointer to the oncoming threats. I've equipped him with grenades, which was handy for clearing buildings. It also gives a new way of killing your colleagues- aim badly and the grenade bounces off the building right into the team. :(

I should maybe compile a guide into the many different ways of wiping out your players.

17. Lanster27

Apr 20, 2017
    Death by:

- Walking too close to hobo firepits
    - Shooting the red tank in the base, at point blank
    - Get shot in the back by teammates
    - Get trapped in strain web and get shot in the face by teammates
    - Killing each other from going crazy
    - Get killed by droid teammate after contracting some germs
    - Ex-Navy Gunner teammate picks up an alien eye and sprays bullets at his team, killing everyone

18. candyjet

Aug 25, 2010
    #38 candyjet, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    For the developer.

I've given this game a week, now and it is far too difficult. It really does need either-

1. Multiple save slots from which you can re-load a previous saved level, and/or
    2. Variable difficulty settings.
    3. Don't ramp up the difficulty if you restart a level.
    4. Have the option of skipping the tutorial before a restart.

I have lost count how many times I've started over again from the beginning , being extra careful with my team, but this game is really testing my patience.

Highlights from today's attempt include-

- losing a player the second he stepped out of the helicopter on the Paranoia level.
    - losing 4000 credits on one mission, putting me well into negative territory, for not keeping Zulus 1 and 2 alive. I accept I shouldn't get any bonus on such a mission, but a 4000 credit fine just frankly ruins the game.

There is a very good game hidden in here, but I'm well into hacked off territory now.

19. Lanster27

Apr 20, 2017
    Just regarding crew deaths, you shouldnt despair cos you lost someone. Grab their bodybag and revive them at a cryopod. My guys die all the time, as long as you got 1 man/woman standing, you can revive the whole team. Sure it probably takes 5-10 minutes to revive and re-equip them, but knowing I can revive guys had let me push on some harder mission with 2-3 guys.

20. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    You know there is a difficulty slider before you load your save. If a mission is to hard, drop it down then load up the save.