Universal Stormblades (by Kiloo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 18, 2015.

1. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    They already have ways to advertise on facebook, YouTube, and Twitter. You receive free essence to favorite, follow, and subscribe to all said services. This game is also not playable on facebook. Everyone that has an iPhone and iPad has GameCenter. There is Apple native services available. That's all I'm saying. If a game is good I don't mind paying. I don't mind IAP either when it's done and priced properly.

Billy

2. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Re: Facebook it's possible that they have something planned (multiplayer?) for an upcoming update that they want to be cross-platform. This game is out on Android too, so facebook might be the best way to make that happen.

I used to get really aggrevated about Facebook integration, but then I made a gaming facebook account that's literally just a dumb made-up name with no actual personal information. I have it permanently logged in via the iOS Settings app, so whenever any app or game that uses facebook comes along I can simply hit "connect" without having to remember a username or password or anything. And because it's an account I don't care about, I have no problem adding whoever as friends or spamming things or whatever.

Might not be a solution for everyone, but it's free and super simple to create a facebook just for gaming, and there are a lot of benefits to having one.

3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the FB iOS app, as well as any FB iOS settings, only allow you to log into one account at a time. So that means if you have an account you use regularly and don't want to connect to games, you couldn't really keep both connected. I think some games make you log in, so then you can use said fake account. But for those that just automatically connect, I don't think you can choose.

And from a developer's point of view, wouldn't it make more sense to have *real* GC accounts logging in, vs fake FB accounts?

4. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Yep you are correct. It's possible to log out and log back in with a different account, but it's definitely more trouble than it's worth in most circumstances. This advice was really for people who say they don't use FB.

Technically I *do* have a real facebook account, but I very rarely check it so the iOS app being logged into the gamer account doesn't really bother me. If I ever do need to check my real FB I just do it in the browser.

I don't know! Maybe. But again, there can be reasons a developer chooses to use a 3rd party service that's cross-platform, and for this game in particular those reasons may not be known yet. Or, maybe it's just so people spam the game to their friends, who knows.

At the very least I will say that regardless of platform I think it would be nice to have Game Center (or the Google equivalent on Android) included in addition to facebook, even if it's just for achievements or whatever. But again, I don't like assuming things about why a developer does something when I have no firsthand knowledge about why they made those choices.

5. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Thank you very much, that's actually the perfect solution for me. I have zero interest in a real FB account, but as an avid IOS gamer, a fake FB makes a lot of sense.

6. Pyapiopi

Pyapiopi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014

You theoretically could just use Safari for Facebook. Keep the game account logged in for your settings, and just log in to Facebook on safari saving the log in info. Doesn't look as clean as the app but runs just fine with full functionality.

7. #107 AppUnwrapper, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    I actually use Safari for my website's FB account bc I don't use it as often. Safari logs me out if I don't use it for a little while, so it's a headache if all I want to do is take a quick glance at my wall for a few seconds several times throughout the day. I don't spend hours at a time on FB, but I do like to check in on it without having to spend that extra time logging in. Maybe one day FB will allow multiple accounts to be logged into their app like Twitter does, but not holding my breath.

Anyway, it just seems a bit assinine to force players to use FB for iCloud for an iOS game. Honestly, I don't looooove this game, so I'll likely just use that as another reason not to play. I wanted to try it on my iPad, but it's not the kind of game I would want to play twice on two different devices.

8. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    i didn't like this. Much like IB, if you don't keep your reflexes on when you have to dodge / parry, you are toast. But unlike IB, there is no story, only one character, and only different blades.

Besides, the character's mouth looks so repulsive to me, it ruins his face. Like they put a mouth from One Piece photoshopped over a normal face.

9. SwipeNova

SwipeNova Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Took your advice and set up a gaming facebook account.. i also added you ^^

10. musicalmac

musicalmac Active Member

Nov 21, 2014
    It's better than some folks give it credit. It is pretty light on content but it's fun nonetheless. Try attacking before parrying. A lot.

11. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    same onetrack gameplay, get boring very quick.

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Tis an arcade take on the massive IB formula... So yeah, i agree that it's one-track.

I love it though. Back in beta i was liking it. But now, probably because of the type of games im currently addicting over, im LOVING Stormblades, and have included it in my current addiction.

Which got me to thinking... The new Karateka may have been better with Stormblades' pacing.

13. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    I don't know, but I didn't get boring while playing them. Maybe I'm a fan of this style. :D

14. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I tend to agree. Needs some depth.

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #115 Exact-Psience, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    ^May not be your cuppa. It's an arcade take on the IB formula.

The fighting mechanics have been borrowed and improved in pacing, but Stormblades emphasizes on the action and fighting rather than try to be an RPG.

You cant dismiss Shadowgun just because it doesnt have Mass Effect's depth. Despite both using the 3PS mechanics, one will always be a pure action shooter, and the other an action RPG. And both are good at what they do, the same way Stormblades is good at what it wants to be.

I do agree that it could use a bit of story though. Maybe a starting cinematic and an endgame cinematic in around stage 30 or so. Then, the stages after that are for the hardcore players. Kinda like Monster Hunter's setup. You get to see the ending after you killed Akantor, but then there's the G-rank after that which is more of a harder game+ but everything's still available for access.

16. CecilMcW00t

CecilMcW00t Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Really fun game!! Graphics are just sublime! Two questions...

1. Has anyone figured out how to get the treasures from certain levels? For example, in Level 3 (there is a flashing treasure icon for that level and others like it).

2. This question is for Jeppe, are there any additional characters planned? I was hoping for a male and female character. The design for the male is awesome, so I can only imagine how cool the armor for the female character would look!

17. Kiloo_Jeppe

Kiloo_Jeppe Well-Known Member

Hi CecilMcW00t

1. The treasures are unlocked automatically after you complete the level, regardless of your relic-score. I believe the treasure on level 3 is a new blade. It should appear when you go to the menu after the score screen.

2. I'm glad you like the character design :) We have a ton of updates planned for Stormblades already. In terms of additional characters, we will focus mostly on making a larger variety of enemies to increase replayability.

18. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Nice to see the developer here :)
    Really enjoying Stormblades so far, well done.
    Nice touch with upgrading the armor enemies wear when they rise in level. Most of those (e.g. the female sword giant, or the sorcerer with the huge mask) look great.

I have a few questions, too:
    1) What exactly is the Relic Score doing? I could not figure out yet if it has any impact on the game, e.g. give you access to better blades.
    2) The blades in the store: how/when do these get updated with new ones? The only way I could find so far is to buy one, so it frees a slot. Which is a bit annoying, as I have to spend big chunks of essence, only to make the newly bought blade obsolete immediately.

19. Kiloo_Jeppe

Kiloo_Jeppe Well-Known Member

Hi Nullzone!

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you're enjoying the game :)

1) For now, the relic count is how you compare yourself to other players on the leaderboards. We plan on expanding the use of relics in one of the first updates by making them unlock cool stuff.

2) The store is updated when you buy new blades and when you beat levels. We realize that this can be a bit confusing, so we are going to change how it works in one of the first updates.

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #120 Nullzone, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    @Kiloo_Jeppe: Sounds good!
    Do you have an ETA for the two updates you mention? Just wondering if I should hold off for a bit and wait for those.

As for #2: That's all fine with me. Would be nice to know after which levels the store updates, so I can plan ahead a bit.

Doubletap Dodging:
    Sometimes the doubletap dodge does not trigger, and I just stand there taking the hit.
    I cannot tell if it's me (as in tapping too slow/fast to make it register), or if it's a problem with the game.
    Does anyone else have that?