Universal Stormblades (by Kiloo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Game Impressions

I need to see how it feels on my iPad. So far have only played on my iPhone, and I'm not too keen on either having to sign into FB or start from scratch on there.

I uploaded some video, and you can see where I died -- my swipes did nothing.

Also wondering if it ever feels like real time? Currently, the enemies are all in slow-motion, which makes the swiping to block too easy, and the dodging annoying because I dodge when he's starting the attack, and by the time he actually attacks, I'm already back to normal position. Maybe it's just hard to get used to coming from IB?

Edit: I just played against the summoner, and he was the exact opposite of all the other enemies -- no slow-mo. So that came as a surprise. I don't know if the slow-mo was just to get us used to the gameplay?

2. bluspacecow

bluspacecow Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    AppUnwrapper your slashes are too slow for my liking. I'm able to fit in at least 3 - 4 times the slashes you've been doing.

The biggest advantage of my method of playing is I don't have to waste a hand holding the device. My left hand has a loose grip on the left side of the iPad so I can dodge quicker. My right hand is in a sort of pointing fist thing with my right pointer finger doing the slashes

3. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    @AppUnwrapper - those characters with slower attacks allow you to get in a few free slashes. They don't count for much damage but every little bit helps. With the 2nd sword, which grants a huge bonus hit on crits, you can do enough damage to work an opponent down faster and open up the possibility to get a power finisher in. The game is all about counters and offense. Think of it that way, and it's less strategy in the sense that you're hanging back, waiting for an opening ;)

4. bluspacecow

bluspacecow Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    Lol. The game keeps encouraging me to buy health stones. But I don't wanna as I'm grinding for my next sword upgrade / skill upgrade ;) . And I don't use them anyway :)

5. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    I'm having quite a lot of fun. It's s night distraction from DH5 haha. The visuals are impressive. It appears to be a simpler version of Ib3. Enjoying it.

6. #66 AppUnwrapper, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    Yeah, I think I was holding back too much in the beginning, when I was getting a feel for the game. Now I'm slashing a lot more. I dunno how long I'll stick with the game, though. It feels pretty shallow, especially compared to IB.

7. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Are the enemies random? Level 5 I fought an awesome monster and died. Replayed the mission and the boss wasn't there at the end :/

^ I like shallow. It's a quick, fun, casual IB experience. Really feeling the seamless play. Very straight forward.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I did say in my impressions that this is a more arcade-y take on the IB formula, which is usually more geared towards being an RPG. ;)

If you take it as it is, it's actually pretty fun. If you are looking for an IB clone, this isnt it.

9. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Answering a Q and a few pro tips. Enemies are randomly generated on the level except for the final enemy, who at least through lvl 13 has either been a Summoner or a Warlord.

I ran into a save issue. If anyone closed te app and brings it back up, and you've lost your progress, do the following. Nxt time u beat a level (or do anything that would require updating the save file), just tap te home button to go to the home screen. Then just simply pull the app back up and a quick box pulls up showing "syncing" and it'll be current.

Going back and playing previous missions taught me the score structure and at what threshold u get the last one (or aquire all 3). As far as I can tell, it's 1000 pts for 1 relic, 2000 pts for 2 relics, and 3000 for the 3rd relic.

Also, I went back with a higher level blade and found I could swing to my heart's content as I mowed down enemies. That, is just damn good fun right there.

10. I wasn't looking for an IB clone, per se, as I have 3 IBs if I want to play that. ;)
    I just don't feel this game pulling me in for more. It's pretty, but like I said, it feels a little too Temple Run-y for me, and I don't feel a compulsion to keep playing. Maybe it's because I have about five other new games asking for my attention right now? :p

11. setomoto

setomoto Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2015
    I haven't run into any energy systems or ads. I am so pleasantly surprised with this. I was expecting to pay a few bucks to remove any ads but doesn't seem like it's necessary now. I also thought it would be an infinity blade clone, but it feels totally modern in comparison. There isn't much story going on besides a little intro to each stage. But your character runs and jumps through each stage with your camera chasing behind you really makes you feel like you want to take on the next enemy to come. The fact that it runs on a constant 60 fps really made my actions a lot more fluid with a lot less hiccups. The game runs smoothly on my 6 plus but it is definitely a battery hog. It's a game worth paying for but it's better than that cuz it's free! If you've got space on your phone it's def worth downloading.

12. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Really enjoying this game. Sure it's play style is similar to IB but seems much more accessible. It's also one of the best looking games on my iPhone 6. Kudos to the devs.

13. cthulhufan

cthulhufan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 5, 2013
    Systems Engineer
    Missouri
    Thanks for the impression. Kinda still IB type combat though, eh? Meh, probably not for me then. Curse Apple for not including an expansion slot; space is a premium for me... I guess that's neither here nor there but *what the hell* is up with that. Give me the ability to side load storage via SD. Relevant because I would totally be checking this title out if I had storage available.

14. Retean

Retean Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Is this worth upgrading to ios8?

15. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Yes, only play from iOS 8.

16. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    If you have an iPhone 5 or newer or iPad 4 or newer then absolutely.

17. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Wow, this game has got some incredible depth. I'm up to lvl 22 and it is getting pretty hectic. I've got a blade with 3 power ups and 340 dmg, so going back to get the last relic for a bunch of missions and then move on. It looks like at least 30 levels, if not more.

18. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Having fun so far!

19. scottbailey

scottbailey Active Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Love it, having a blast, but the ads have started coming in. Ad disabled IAP please.

20. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Really? When did you see it?